Cashner signing

jcaponio

56 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sign Tilly to a MIL deal and let him complete against the Rule 5 guys for the last 2 slots.

I've got to imagine if Tillman would sign a minor league deal this would happen. I'm just not sure he's decided that's his only option at this point.

I personally think the guy is done though. I'd love to be wrong though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Obviously. Personally I'm hoping for a 4.50 and I'll see that as a stunning victory for this rotation. And it's an upgrade from last year no matter how you look at it. 

Now if Cashner crashes and burns to a 5 or 6+, then, hey, that sucks. But I'm glad they signed a ML caliber starting pitcher because that's the only option they afforded themselves. They had to make this signing, so we'll just see how it plays out. 

I like him more than Hellickson, I'll say that.

Agree with you on this statement, but I honestly think the difference between the two is pretty marginal. Who knows though...maybe he'll surprise us all. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I give Dan an A for creativity on this one.    I still don’t love the signing, but the contract is clever and limits the downside.    

So do you think Dan is clever enough to get Arrieta with a  3/63 with two vesting option of 21m each?   Signed on or about March 1st.  I think he has the budget to do that.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am going to repost this piece I found on reddit's baseball page.

With all of the analytics going on nowadays, this is probably why most teams had shied away from him. But hey, when have the Orioles cracked analytics team ever been wrong?

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am going to repost this piece I found on reddit's baseball page.

The only one of those guys I have ever heard of was Frank Viola.  And he basically had the same season statistically in 1992.  Came out and got injured in pre-season in 1994 had to have Tommy John surgery and never really came back.  

Looking at Chacon he only had one decent season in his career.  

Not sure if you can use these guys as comparison.  But I dont' think anyone is expecting 4 WAR seasons from Cashner. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, as I said in another thread a vesting option that further vests into a player option.

Pretty nifty.

It's like a Pokemon!

Cashner has never thrown more than 316.2 innings in consecutive seasons, so if his option vests (at 340 innings) or turns into a player option (at 360), I’ll consider that a win for the club.   He’d have to pitch pretty decently to do that, I think.

Ubaldo never got past 326.1 in two consecutive years with us.