Cashner signing

jcaponio

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What percentage of teams in MLB history with a rotation of that quality compared to the league would have made the playoffs?  It can't be very high.  That was a team that made the playoffs despite their rotation.  That rotation was almost a dare, a contest to see how poor a rotation you could have and still play a postseason game.

Welcome back, Buddy!

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yet others like Tillman, Britton and many others sign his praises for helping them with their workouts and pitching success in the league.

Look to the Ravens, the number 1 guy behind Ozzie, didn't get his name into the press too much, and Ozzie got all the glory for such great picks. This guy moves on, and Ozzie is no longer the best drafter in the business.

He's one of their de facto bosses. They work out at his house, perhaps he asks them to work out there. They are asked by the media about the workouts. What do you think they are going to say? I take those and similar comments with huge grains of salt. Sports related preparation is literally a science now. Brady was/is a physical specimen, but that does not mean that he is qualified to train professional athletes. And certainly working out with Brady has not been a magic formula of success for a bunch of players. I'm not saying he's terrible, but it's amazing how much positive "buzz" Brady's workouts have on the OH and in the local media. 

27 minutes ago, cimota said:

A lot from Harvard, couple from Princeton, a couple from Cornell. A guy from a MIT another from Virginia Tech.  A couple from Amherst.  Seems like not only do you need a college education but you need one from a top school these days. 

I do appreciate you lumping Virginia Tech into "top schools" with Harvard and MIT, while omitting the one GM with a UVA degree. :clap:

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I do appreciate you lumping Virginia Tech into "top schools" with Harvard and MIT, while omitting the one GM with a UVA degree. :clap:

I spent two years there (ended up transferring back to MD) so I do as well. Some of those bootleg Tech / UVA t-shirts they used to sell at games were definitely rated M for Mature. 

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So...definately better than last year... :) 

Sadly enough, it’s true.    

But those projections probably flow from Cashner’s strikeout rate. And I’m not so sure that the strikeout rate drop wasn’t just Cashner sticking to a new approach that was working for him.   If you go out and throw 7 innings allowing 2 runs, do you think you go back to your hotel and worry about the fact that you only struck out three guys?   Or do you think, “I’m hoping to pitch the same way next game?”

I fully appreciate the very substantial evidence that sustaining a low ERA with very low strikeout rates is extremely rare.   Still, looking at Cashner’s velocity, it seems like the strikeout drop was more due to him changing what he was trying to do, than based on a loss of stuff.    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Sadly enough, it’s true.    

But those projections probably flow from Cashner’s strikeout rate. And I’m not so sure that the strikeout rate drop wasn’t just Cashner sticking to a new approach that was working for him.   If you go out and throw 7 innings allowing 2 runs, do you think you go back to your hotel and worry about the fact that you only struck out three guys?   Or do you think, “I’m hoping to pitch the same way next game?”

I fully appreciate the very substantial evidence that sustaining a low ERA with very low strikeout rates is extremely rare.   Still, looking at Cashner’s velocity, it seems like the strikeout drop was more due to him changing what he was trying to do, than based on a loss of stuff.    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  

I agree 100%.  He may never win a Cy Young but if he can be in the ball park of 5.0 ERA and eat some innings, he will have earned his contract.  He could max out and still be a bargain.  He could do almost nothing....and still be better than much of last years rotation.  IF ONLY we could sign or trade for one more who is better...then let em fight it out for 5 with or without Tillly.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

If he can throw 95 this spring, I'm not concerned. 

I remember Gallardo in his first start as a O' could barely hit 87 and went only 5. I thought to myself, the doctors were right again and we (as fans) and the O's are in big trouble and this guy isn't going to last 2 seasons let alone put together back to back quality starts.

I've always wondered if Gallardo's game against the Jays in the 2015 playoffs carried some extra weight with the O's FO. He gutted it out in the Skydome for 5 innings against the Jays dangerous lineup. He proceeded to gut out our sanity the following season.

• Upvote 1