Boras Speak

weams

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

Maybe it would be for more than 1 year?   We have a ton of money coming off the books after this season.   A rotation for 2019 of Arietta, Gausman, Bundy, Cashner, etc. would put us in a good position to compete next year despite the loss of Manny, Jones, Brach and Britton.  

Signing Arietta would tilt our odds tremendously both this year and next.  Perhaps enough time has passed to let bygones be bygones?  I guess the price is still the biggest issue.   

Just now, bird watcher said:

Signing Arietta would tilt our odds tremendously both this year and next.  Perhaps enough time has passed to let bygones be bygones?  I guess the price is still the biggest issue.   

Maybe he would be willing to sign a 1/30 deal with 29 million being deferred from 2020-2048?

2 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

Wow. I’m shocked we’re even in the consideration. With the inevitable loss of most of our core after this year, would anyone throw a 25 million dollar one year deal at Jake with incentives that could reach 30 just to make one last run at this?

A one-year deal -- I would do that. If the Orioles are "going for it," they need a #1, #2 or #3 starter with Cashner as #4 and Tillman battling all the other candidates for #5.

As long as I have the full trade rights. Either: I spend $25MM and I QO him after the season for a draft pick. Or I spend $16MM and trade him in July for prospects. If he bombs and I can't QO him without expecting him to accept 1/~$18MM, then I have limited the loss to $25MM and it's off the books to start 2019.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Funny coming from an agent that prepares binders full of analytics on his clients.   Once again, Jon Heyman is doing Boras' PR work.

Heyman's direct deposits come in from the Boras corporation on a daily basis.

I'm sure this was just a picture book.

Boras said Monday that he has sent a 75-page binder exclusively to MLB owners on behalf of Arrieta

Matt Snyder

First off, let me just say I'm more awestruck by the 75-page binder than the $200 million. Imagine being a billionaire and having someone deliver a 75-page binder of facts on Jake Arrieta to you. The reactions likely vary from hysterical laughter to indignant dunking of the binder into the nearest trash bin. Then there are the teams interested in Arrieta. They likely have to look through the binder in order to be able to plausibly prove that they did read it all. So we're left picturing a billionaire assigning some intern to read it word-for-word and prepare a Cliff Notes version that they can memorize, all the while being incredibly annoyed at this homework assignment. 

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I admire the fact that he still wants to play.

But yea, I'm sure he didn't have a lot of offers to wade through.

The irony is, he filled his role well in 2016.     But that role seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur.   

24362326373769.5635490d7511a.jpg

1e93c626373769.563548ddeb35f.jpg

This is definitely worth checking out - Boras Corp Pitch Book to potential clients

Also, this is in regards to a 73 page book Boras had prepared when Prince Fielder was a free agent.

Inevitably, the books elicit some eye-rolling in front offices. Baseball executives also find their eyes glazing over when Boras starts pontificating about franchise values and the specifics of TV rights deals. One general manager, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said it's impossible to take the historical comparisons too seriously because differences in eras are lacking and the portrayal is inevitably slanted 100 percent in favor of Boras' clients. Indeed, he thinks the binders are meant to impress Boras' players as much as potential suitors.

"I think they're a curiosity," the GM said. "It's kind of like the Sports Illustrated swimsuit calendar. You look forward to it coming out each year. But you're not really going to do anything about it.

"This is as much about client retention as anything else. This is the client saying, 'Boy, is Scott working for me or what?"'

Jerry Crasnick 2011

mlb_fielder_binder_300.jpg&w=267

Archived