Would be nice to have a ST that goes even somewhat right

interloper

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/26/2018 at 1:45 PM, interloper said:

Meanwhile Syndergaard is out there throwing 101. Which might not be a great idea, but I don't know what it's like to not have to constantly worry about why our guys are 2-3 mph down from usual in the spring. That must be nice, as a fan.

Actually, Bundy average 92 on his fastball last year so his velocity is not down.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:13 PM, Can_of_corn said:

As I have been saying elsewhere lots of pretty successful catchers have trouble throwing out baserunners.  I'm pretty sure Buck is greatly exaggerating the importance of controlling the running game.  If he hits and the rest of his defense is fine I don't have a problem with his throwing.

I think that's short sighted honestly. A catcher doesn't have to be great at throwing runners out, but he does need to be able to control the running game. when teams run at will or have runners that normally don't try to steal start stealing, that's an issue. Honestly, that's the biggest unknown about Sisco, can he at least control that running game? It probably will never be a positive for him, but as long as he can be effective and keep the other team's honest then the Orioles may be able to live with his lack of success throwing guys out if his stick is going to be special.

He's having a nice spring so far offensively, but last year was step back for him offensively. He's never hit lefties well so he'll need to show he can do that to be more than a platoon guy with his throwing woes. 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think that's short sighted honestly. A catcher doesn't have to be great at throwing runners out, but he does need to be able to control the running game. when teams run at will or have runners that normally don't try to steal start stealing, that's an issue. Honestly, that's the biggest unknown about Sisco, can he at least control that running game? It probably will never be a positive for him, but as long as he can be effective and keep the other team's honest then the Orioles may be able to live with his lack of success throwing guys out if his stick is going to be special.

He's having a nice spring so far offensively, but last year was step back for him offensively. He's never hit lefties well so he'll need to show he can do that to be more than a platoon guy with his throwing woes. 

Did you see that list of catchers that led the league in stolen bases allowed?

Some pretty big names and some pretty big totals. 

If he allows six or so runs with his arm he can earn them back with his bat and the rest of his catching.

Now obviously if he can't block pitches, call a game, frame ect on top of not being able to throw it's a problem.

What numbers would you consider acceptable?  What CS% and what number total bags allowed?

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins, by the way, has two diving catches and two outfield assists on his spring resume already.    He doubled a runner off first and threw another guy out at the plate.  

Wish there was video of his throw to home from left field. 

His speed helped with the double play at first. Middlebrooks was running on the pitch and Mullins made a great diving catch to get it and double Middlebrooks up.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, his 0 for 7 isn’t too compelling.   Several K’s in there, too.     But the D has been good.  

His defensive prowess is far more compelling than his 0-7 (SSS anyone?). However, probably a better idea to keep him busy with full time reps this year and plug him in after Jones is gone. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you see that list of catchers that led the league in stolen bases allowed?

Some pretty big names and some pretty big totals. 

If he allows six or so runs with his arm he can earn them back with his bat and the rest of his catching.

Now obviously if he can't block pitches, call a game, frame ect on top of not being able to throw it's a problem.

What numbers would you consider acceptable?  What CS% and what number total bags allowed?

For me it's not a percentage, it's whether he can control the opponent's running game. If suddenly pitchers are out of whack because they are rushing due to the fact that even average runners are stealing as soon as they get on, then it's a problem. Stolen bases are not a huge part of the AL East offenses, but if suddenly it becomes a weapon to everyone against you can't have that.

Remember the last couple of years with Chris Hoiles? He was allowing almost 100 SBs a year two out of the last three years. That's not controlling the running game and it cost us.

Now saying all that, Caleb did not throw the ball well last year either, and must improve as well. The thing with Caleb is he's such a good game caller and receiver that he's still a plus defensive catcher even if he doesn't throw like he did the first few years in the bigs. Sisco is not there yet though he has gotten better in presenting and and blocking. 

For me, it's only an issue if suddenly teams change how they operate because of your deficiency. If teams are running wild on Sisco it's not good for the team regardless of what his bat brings.

Archived