Orioles partnering up with Navy

Legend_Of_Joey

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/tickets/events/navy

The Orioles and Oriole Park at Camden Yards will serve as the host site for an Army vs. Navy baseball doubleheader for charity on Sunday, March 25 beginning at 11:00 a.m.

Tickets will be $10 for general admission lower level seating, with all proceeds split evenly by the Naval Academy Athletics Association and the Fisher House Foundation, which provides a "home away from home" for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers. The homes provide temporary free lodging, so families can be close to their loved ones during a medical crisis. There are several Fisher Houses located throughout the Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia areas, including five houses at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

Members of the military in uniform will receive free admission at the gates.

Concessions will be available with all proceeds benefiting the two charities. Parking in lots A, B, and C will be available for $5.

The Orioles will also play another MLB team in Annapolis in 2019.

First, kudos to the Orioles for doing the right thing here, even if it took them a year.  Personally, I know that Annapolis is "their territory" but this partnership had nothing to do with marketing and promotion on the public side, but everything to do with their relationship with the Navy that they share through their location in Southeast DC.  This event was not open to the public, it was for Midshipmen (and not even all of them) and a select number of servicemen and guests of dignitaries.  It was a huge event that the Nationals marketing team pulled off, as I was there as a vendor through work.  I thought it was very wrong of the Orioles to step in and tell the Nationals that this partnership couldn't continue. 

The one thing I hope happens is that MLB and the Nationals put a lot of money into Bishop Stadium, and I hope our Orioles continue to do the same thing.  It seems that they are going to make this promotion more than just the game at Bishop Stadium and include events at OPACY, so I am glad for that as well.   

1. As a Navy veteran, I am very glad that the O's are doing this. It's awesome and overdue.

2. As an Orioles fan, I am glad they kicked the Nat's out of the Academy. They are worms...

3. I like beating the Nationals at anything!

The agreement also calls for the Orioles to play an exhibition game against another Major League Baseball team in March 2019 at Max Bishop Stadium at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, schedule permitting. More details will be announced following the 2018 regular season. Additionally, the Navy baseball team will travel to Sarasota, Fla. to visit the Orioles' year-round training facility, work out with the Orioles, and play exhibition games against the club's minor league teams during future Spring Training seasons.

" The Orioles will host "Navy Day" at Oriole Park in August, when more than 1,000 Naval Academy Midshipmen will be invited to an evening at the ballpark, which will serve as their first off-campus experience since becoming Plebes."

That's nice but I don't understand what the Army Navy double header has to do with the Orioles?  Are the Orioles paying the stadium authority for use of the stadium for this game?

1 hour ago, atomic said:

" The Orioles will host "Navy Day" at Oriole Park in August, when more than 1,000 Naval Academy Midshipmen will be invited to an evening at the ballpark, which will serve as their first off-campus experience since becoming Plebes."

That's nice but I don't understand what the Army Navy double header has to do with the Orioles?  Are the Orioles paying the stadium authority for use of the stadium for this game?

I’m sure the Orioles are not going to allow just anyone into the stadium. I don’t know the details of the agreement but I would bet my life the Orioles have a say in who uses Camden Yards or not.  

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m sure the Orioles are not going to allow just anyone into the stadium. I don’t know the details of the agreement but I would bet my life the Orioles have a say in who uses Camden Yards or not.  

Bad deal for the state of Maryland then.  I know there are all sorts of events at the Nationals stadium.  I saw Paul McCartney there are few years ago.  

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

What does the annual high school all star game have to do with the Orioles?

Archived