Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Every team makes moves like these.  

Danny Valencia is a name that people recognize, though.  Had it been some other guy you'd never heard of, this wouldn't be a thread.

But it's Danny Valencia.

I'm aware that not every move that gets made can move the needle for us, and this one sure doesn't.  It's just annoying that time and focus is spent on something like this when Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn are still out there.

Well if our GM had spent all offseason focusing on Arrieta, Cobb, and Lynn, then we wouldn’t have made a single move. I’m sure he’s multi tasking. 

Plus you got working on his deals. DD working on his. Buck getting his guys. Lol. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

He can’t spend money that isn’t his. He isn’t allowed to do what you want him to do. 

Role players can help, look at Pearce. Nobody is saying this is a big deal.  I mean should Tampa or the Pirates try to add these types of players either? You can say this about many teams. 

I'm not sure this is accurate.  For everyone that says "he can't spend money" I point to the Chris Davis deal.  

Now Angelos might not allow him to go after the remaining pitchers but we've already bandied about plenty about how far Angelos meddles these days.  Who knows.

Absolutely role players can help, but role players can't help this team aside from maybe going higher than 72 wins.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure this is accurate.  For everyone that says "he can't spend money" I point to the Chris Davis deal.  

Now Angelos might not allow him to go after the remaining pitchers but we've already bandied about plenty about how far Angelos meddles these days.  Who knows.

Absolutely role players can help, but role players can't help this team aside from maybe going higher than 72 wins.  

Have we confirmed that this year's budget is over 140 Million?

1 hour ago, interloper said:

More hyperbole I suppose. Did you see that interview though? The disdain for the questions was clear, he smirked on his way out as Jim Hunter struggled to compliment his 0-3 with 3 K day. In fairness, not a great time for an interview. 

I'd smirk my way through a Hunter interview myself. Remember, this is a guy who uses win loss records for minor league pitchers for proof on how good they must be. lol

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Most believe Angelos pushed for the Davis deal. 

The money they spent on Valencia has nothing to do with whether or not they sign another starter. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Most believe Angelos pushed for the Davis deal. 

The money they spent on Valencia has nothing to do with whether or not they sign another starter. 

It's not about the money, it's about the focus and the priorities. Like I said, is this team going for it and making a playoff run or are they going to do a rebuild?  What's the focus?  PICK ONE.  Make a commitment.  Either they're in the hunt and committed to going for it or they're going for an overhaul.

It's this indecisiveness and in between that put us in the mess that was from '98 to 2011.  They could never figure out exactly what they were doing or which direction to go.  They'd have an offseason where they'd sign Miggy, Javy Lopez and Raffy and then the next year it was youth movement time.  

They can sign all the freaking Danny Valencias in the world for all I care if they're taking care of the ML roster in a way that shows that they have a plan.  

Does that make sense?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not about the money, it's about the focus and the priorities. Like I said, is this team going for it and making a playoff run or are they going to do a rebuild?  What's the focus?  PICK ONE.  Make a commitment.  Either they're in the hunt and committed to going for it or they're going for an overhaul.

It's this indecisiveness and in between that put us in the mess that was from '98 to 2011.  They could never figure out exactly what they were doing or which direction to go.  They'd have an offseason where they'd sign Miggy, Javy Lopez and Raffy and then the next year it was youth movement time.  

They can sign all the freaking Danny Valencias in the world for all I care if they're taking care of the ML roster in a way that shows that they have a plan.  

Does that make sense?

I get your point but the owner has picked a plan. “Going for it” without investing in long term deals. 

I am not saying it is the right path but the GM is just operating in those confines. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I get your point but the owner has picked a plan. “Going for it” without investing in long term deals. 

I am not saying it is the right path but the GM is just operating in those confines. 

Ehhh, this doesn't look like going for it.  I mean, if you're an asbestos attorney who's old enough to be Methuselah's dad, this looks like it's going for it.  But everyone knows it's not.

I do believe a good GM is a good salesperson that needs to be able to make the person who writes the checks see the light on certain things when necessary.  The plan for this team being one of them.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Have we confirmed that this year's budget is over 140 Million?

No, but we’re never going to get any confirmation of what the budget is.   They’ll spend what they spend, when they choose to spend it.     That’s all we are going to know.   

4 hours ago, Rene88 said:

You don't give someone 1.2$ M with $3M in options to send him to AAA. I am sorry. I don't agree.

Not saying I am in favor one way or the other, but what makes you think the O's will get a return at the deadline that gets approval from Peter AND makes it worthwhile to execute vs. just getting the draft pick?

Just to clarify, Valencia only gets $1.2 million if he's in the major leagues. If he goes to the minors, he'll get a minor league salary.

I'm pleased with the acquisition whether we're rebuilding, pretending to compete, or somewhere in between.  He's good depth and can help with platooning and versatility.  I doubt he blocks any young player that should be playing.  

As long as Valencia doesn't ever play 3B, I'll be ok with it. He's absolutely horrendous there. I don't really like him playing the field at all but...

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If they could dump Trumbo, a Pedro/Valencia DH platoon would be fine with me.

beat me to it.

Archived