Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Danny says he has no intention of playing in the minors. Says he is a MLB player and has had a very good trailing three year statistical portfolio. Per Roch 

And he's right for the most part, but at the end of the deal he is on a minor league deal because he couldn't get a guaranteed major league deal. Saying that, I think he's going to be on the roster come Opening Day.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the signing. .863 career OPS against lefties. 

There is a good chance he will get lots of at bats due to the need for a RH platoon partner for Rasmus and also the potential volatility of our 3B, 1B, and DH starters.  Odds are that (at least) one of them can't hit their weight this season, so it will be nice for Buck to have a fall back option.  

Is he playable at 3B?  I know he's going to be below average there, but does he kill us if he is playing there for 20 or 30 games out of the year?

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And he's right for the most part, but at the end of the deal he is on a minor league deal because he couldn't get a guaranteed major league deal. Saying that, I think he's going to be on the roster come Opening Day.

Good for Danny V.  I hope he makes the team as the utility infielder/super sub guy.  Love his bat against lefties, which there are plenty of in the AL East.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say we land one of Lynn or Cobb. Strip away the hype from NYY. Where is the clear weakness on this roster?  For this one year?  Where would you upgrade?

I like the enthusiasm, but there are clear weaknesses at C, starting rotation, and huge ?? at 1B, RF, and DH.  That said, I like the Danny signing.

21 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I like the signing. .863 career OPS against lefties. 

There is a good chance he will get lots of at bats due to the need for a RH platoon partner for Rasmus and also the potential volatility of our 3B, 1B, and DH starters.  Odds are that (at least) one of them can't hit their weight this season, so it will be nice for Buck to have a fall back option.  

Is he playable at 3B?  I know he's going to be below average there, but does he kill us if he is playing there for 20 or 30 games out of the year?

Rays just DFA’d LH 3B/2B Ryan Schimpf. Career .837 OPS vs RHP.  2 options remaining.  

No room for him now. But I’m all about having a good bench. Would be good AAA depth, and platoon 3B for next year.

Schimpf is a perfect fit by no means, but there are more bench/role players available than usual this year. No reason not to have a deep bench this year. 

Duquette has been pushing for Valencia’s signing for a while. Vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson also was on board.

The above is from Roch.    Who has Duquette been pushing for a while to get a guy signed to a minor league deal with a 1 million dollar contract if he plays in the bigs?  And does Anderson have to sign off on it?  Is Buck the guy who has the final say?

Without injury there are no at bats to be had at SS and 2B,  Both Manny and Schoop will play 160+ games health permitting.     At 32, Davis has Trumbo to back up 1B  and he can get a breather DH when needed.   Or a day off vs some lefties.   Trumbo actually hits better when he plays in the field anyway so I could see Davis/Trumbo switching back and forth at 1B and DH.   Davis was a 1B that had to play almost everyday. But now he has to hit well to keep that honor. Salary will not keep him in the lineup if he is not hitting.

3B isn't near as settle.   Beckham is not an establish everyday player.   He is still earning that right.    He could run into trouble with the bat or glove.    Valencia is a good backup at 3B.   Can get in the the lineup vs lefties at DH or 1B.   Without injury to one of the infielders or DH I don't see him getting more than 180 at bats but injuries do happen.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Without injury there are no at bats to be had at SS and 2B,  Both Manny and Schoop will play 160+ games health permitting.     At 32, Davis has Trumbo to back up 1B  and he can get a breather DH when needed.   Or a day off vs some lefties.   Trumbo actually hits better when he plays in the field anyway so I could see Davis/Trumbo switching back and forth at 1B and DH.   Davis was a 1B that had to play almost everyday. But now he has to hit well to keep that honor. Salary will not keep him in the lineup if he is not hitting.

3B isn't near as settle.   Beckham is not an establish everyday player.   He is still earning that right.    He could run into trouble with the bat or glove.    Valencia is a good backup at 3B.   Can get in the the lineup vs lefties at DH or 1B.   Without injury to one of the infielders or DH I don't see him getting more than 180 at bats but injuries do happen.

I still think we are hurdling towards signing Moustakas. As you mentioned, Beckham isn't exactly a lock to be a starter on a competitive team, he can back up three of the IF spots, and can still play a lot if we gave guys a few more days off. 

I also wouldn't take us out of the running for Jay, or even Lynn. It all depends on what kinds of deals they're willing to take. At a certain point, they're going to get Nelson Cruz contracts, and Duq is great at pouncing on those opportunities. I think a quality SP coming here on a pillow contract is far less likely because of the stadium and division we play in, but it's hard to rule it out as a possibility entirely because of how long this drawing out. 

On 3/2/2018 at 11:28 AM, wildbillhiccup said:

Great...another retread. Why we, as an organization, continue to gravitate towards the same tired, washed up players is a mystery that will never be solved. 

So... show me a team that doesn't have veteran depth around as bench players or platoon players, especially in spring training.   Is there any team that meets your level of purity?  Teams that give all the reserve spots to 25-year-olds who've spent the last few years earning a spot by playing well in the high minors, and just not being quite good enough to displace the wall-to-wall stars holding up starting jobs?

Certainly the good Oriole teams of the 70s and 80s had multiple Danny Valencias every year.

On 3/2/2018 at 7:25 PM, Enjoy Terror said:

I’d still upgrade the pitching. The clear weakness even with Lynn or Cobb is that we don’t have an ace in the rotation.

You would with Lynn or Cobb. Or near an ace. I just want good pitching. You are not going to find another Verlander type. I don't really think there are very many of those pitchers around anymore. Nolan Ryan or Roger Clemens type pitchers aren't here anymore. IMO 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, interloper said:

More hyperbole I suppose. Did you see that interview though? The disdain for the questions was clear, he smirked on his way out as Jim Hunter struggled to compliment his 0-3 with 3 K day. In fairness, not a great time for an interview. 

Anyone interviewed by Hunter should smirk.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So... show me a team that doesn't have veteran depth around as bench players or platoon players, especially in spring training.   Is there any team that meets your level of purity?  Teams that give all the reserve spots to 25-year-olds who've spent the last few years earning a spot by playing well in the high minors, and just not being quite good enough to displace the wall-to-wall stars holding up starting jobs?

Certainly the good Oriole teams of the 70s and 80s had multiple Danny Valencias every year.

My point is/was we keep signing the SAME players over and over again. 

Danny Valencia is a solid ball player. I like having him as the utility infielder or 3rd baseman if he outperforms Beckham. We have two short stops and a young healthy infield. Think it would work. Im not even sure if we need Moustakas. Rather get Lynn or Cobb.

Archived