Welp, are we officially worried about Bundy?

interloper

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

For what it's worth ........

13 years ago, after Randy Johnson had gotten lit up in several Spring Training games when he was pitching for the Yankees, he asserted that he expects that to happen because he is a power pitcher:

"I'm a power pitcher, and so early on in Spring Training, my fastball is going to be at least 3 or 4 MPH slower than usual ....... hence, I expect to get tagged, as I almost always have since I've been in the Majors."

Randy Johnson, March of 2005

o

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I heard someone mention he had a really bad spring last year too? Topping out at 91 is scary, but perhaps he's still just focusing on staying healthy before he ramps it up? 

He did have a poor ST last year (7.41, 6 home runs). So that's at least somewhat comforting. And he's not going to top out much MORE than 91, but seeing a few 93's out there would be nice.

I heard Caleb last night on the Fan talking about how the established pitchers (Bundy, Gausman, etc...) will work on things during games like throwing a fastball to the exact location 7-8 times, just to get the feel for the pitches, whereas the guys fighting for rotation spots need to focus on outs.  So hopefully its something like that!

Just now, interloper said:

He did have a poor ST last year (7.41, 6 home runs). So that's at least somewhat comforting. And he's not going to top out much MORE than 91, but seeing a few 93's out there would be nice.

Well he should be a few ticks up.. 3-4 like Randy said. Because his average was 92 last year and max was 96.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hear this comforting take, and I receive it.

:)  It's March 2nd and the guy is guaranteed a rotation spot.  Let him work on things, while not giving max effort/performance.  Focus on being healthy and ready for April.  Nothing else matters.

Just now, murph said:

I heard Caleb last night on the Fan talking about how the established pitchers (Bundy, Gausman, etc...) will work on things during games like throwing a fastball to the exact location 7-8 times, just to get the feel for the pitches, whereas the guys fighting for rotation spots need to focus on outs.  So hopefully its something like that!

Yeah, hopefully it's that. Although I don't know if Bundy and Gausman should be allowed to call themselves "established" or "veterans" or anything like that. To me, they still need to show they can get outs. But that's just me.

Just now, interloper said:

Yeah, hopefully it's that. Although I don't know if Bundy and Gausman should be allowed to call themselves "established" or "veterans" or anything like that. To me, they still need to show they can get outs. But that's just me.

Was just paraphrasing Caleb, he basically meant those who we know are set with a rotation spot (unless something drastic happens). 

Archived