Orioles Interested In Neil Walker and Mark Reynolds

section18

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I will be mad if a random veteran comes in here and usurps 3B from Beckham, who has looked totally fine over there so far. I would think they wouldn't mess with his mindset like that, not when it's helping to drive his bat. 

Long term, they need a replacement for Manny, unless they plan on keeping Manny.

I love Beckham as much as anybody, but he can only play one position.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Long term, they need a replacement for Manny, unless they plan on keeping Manny.

So we've elevated Neil Walker from a utility player to long term replacement now? At this pace he'll likely land a 6 year deal!

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

So we've elevated Neil Walker from a utility player to long term replacement now? At this pace he'll likely land a 6 year deal!

Probably not, but he is better than anything we have currently on the roster or slated for AAA.

Mountcastle might be ready for the bat next season, but jury is out about his ability to play 3rd or SS at the MLB level.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Walker is almost exclusively a 2B though. We'd be getting him on a 1 year deal most likely, so Schoop could still be around. I don't think the O's are thinking long term with a guy like Neil Walker; they just see a bargain for a decent ML player. If anything, I like the theory that they are using these bargains to guard against devastating injuries - I think the Sun had an article on that today. Makes sense, really. If two of Beckham, Schoop, or Manny go down, you have a couple of really capable MLers in Valencia and Walker. 

Just now, interloper said:

Walker is almost exclusively a 2B though. We'd be getting him on a 1 year deal most likely, so Schoop could still be around. I don't think the O's are thinking long term with a guy like Neil Walker; they just see a bargain for a decent ML player. If anything, I like the theory that they are using these bargains to guard against devastating injuries - I think the Sun had an article on that today. Makes sense, really. If two of Beckham, Schoop, or Manny go down, you have a couple of really capable MLers in Valencia and Walker. 

Thats why Janish was so valuable at AAA, when an INF went on the DL.

I wonder how Schoop would be over at 3rd?

Since they didnt keep Flaherty, right now, they need a proven player on the bench as their super utility guy.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

exclusively a 2B though. We'd be getting him on a 1 year deal most likely, so Schoop could still be around. I don't think the O's are thinking long term with a guy like Neil Walker; they just see a bargain for a decent ML player. If anything, I like the theory that they are using these bargains to guard against devastating injuries - I think the Sun had an article on that today. Makes sense, really. If two of Beckham, Schoop, or Manny go down, you have a couple of really capable MLers in Valencia and Walker. 

You could sign Walker and then trade Schoop if you wanted to.  

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats why Janish was so valuable at AAA, when an INF went on the DL.

I wonder how Schoop would be over at 3rd?

Since they didnt keep Flaherty, right now, they need a proven player on the bench as their super utility guy.

They'll have any number of all field, no hit shortstops to pick from on the regular. Janish got a lot of lip service but he was not a good player unless your only criteria was catching the baseball.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They'll have any number of all field, no hit shortstops to pick from on the regular. Janish got a lot of lip service but he was not a good player unless your only criteria was catching the baseball.

Janish was above defense and that does count for something.

Do you remember before Buck era, we had 5 SS in one season, pretty much none of them could hit or field.

Anytime a reg goes down, your replacement is not going to be as good.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Do you remember before Buck era, we had 5 SS in one season, pretty much none of them could hit or field.

Sounds like right field back in 2015.

27 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I'm not sure he was, but I did admire his ability to catch the ball. He didn't have a great arm or much range... but I digress.

Yes I remember Freddie Bynum, Brandon Fahey, Juan Castro and Alex Cintron. I remember Jerry Hairston. They were all bad.

Archived