My 25-man roster prediction (as of 3/7/18)

interloper

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Terrific - he could end up like Reimold...  

I didn't mention Markakis, because I was pointing out the potential downside of giving him a long-term extension.  We all know there's potential upside as well.  Was that really not clear?  

It’s too soon to know if Hays will be an above average major leaguer.   His plate discipline issues could be his Achilles heel that won’t allow him to rise near the top.   Or not.   

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I like Hays, but he's not a sure thing.  He still might turn out to be a Matos/Bigbie/Richard.  It's too early to talk long-term deal, imo.  

Which is why you include team options, to lessen the risk.

Or you can wait until he's an Arb 2 coming off a career year to talk extension, AKA the Schoop plan.

Sure the team is taking a risk locking up guys long term, but the current model they are using doesn't seem to be working.

I agree that what Tillman does is important.   He has yet to pitch in a Grapefruit League game.    Was terrible last year.   I am not penciling him in as the 4th starter just yet.

Someone said Wright is having a great spring.   Must not be listening to the games.  He can't hit the glove.   He is pitching vs minor leaguers who he has done pretty well against for 3 years.  He just hasn't been able to be good vs major league lineups.   High pitch counts. He is not a lock for me.  Castro, Cortes, Lynn, Cobb all in play for me.

Gentry  or Rickard.. Who cares.  They are only there until Hays gets is feet on the ground.   Hays could easily get 300-350 at bats is the majors this year.

Sisco vs Wynns.  They both have options.  We probably see both at times during the season.

I like Araujo a lot.  Seems to be on a mission.  Joely Rodriguez has a chance to be the hard throwing lefty in the pen.

Like to see Schoop extended before the All- Star break.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I agree that what Tillman does is important.   He has yet to pitch in a Grapefruit League game.    Was terrible last year.   I am not penciling him in as the 4th starter just yet.

Someone said Wright is having a great spring.   Must not be listening to the games.  He can't hit the glove.   He is pitching vs minor leaguers who he has done pretty well against for 3 years.  He just hasn't been able to be good vs major league lineups.   High pitch counts. He is not a lock for me.  Castro, Cortes, Lynn, Cobb all in play for me.

Gentry  or Rickard.. Who cares.  They are only there until Hays gets is feet on the ground.   Hays could easily get 300-350 at bats is the majors this year.

Sisco vs Wynns.  They both have options.  We probably see both at times during the season.

I like Araujo a lot.  Seems to be on a mission.  Joely Rodriguez has a chance to be the hard throwing lefty in the pen.

Sure they are in play for you, but are they in play for the front office?

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

On Lynn and Cobb.   The worse Tillman does the more likely on of them comes to the O's.

Tillman’s performance should be irrelevant to that decision IMO.    Are we trying to compete for a playoff spot, or not?    If we are, then we need another good pitcher.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is what we have now, so pretty accurate.  I’d sub Ynoa for Arajuo in the pen. Our lineup vs RHP is too RH. We need another lefty. 

What we really need is a lack of Mark Trumbo. Because without him you can play Alvarez and you can get Santander in there more frequently. Or Sisco, even. Everyone else vs RHP is pretty much an every day player. There's just not a lot of room to get a lefty in the lineup, unless you remove our worst hitter from the DH spot.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Like to see Schoop extended before the All- Star break.  

1. It doesn't matter, because he's penciled in whether you like it or not. He's making the team.

2. I could agree here, especially after Buck negged the hell out of Wright after yesterday's game. That said, he's getting results. We'll see.

3. My OP is about OD roster construction, plain and simple. I agree they're pretty interchangeable, but I'm just doing a pure roster exercise/prediction. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

4. Agree, but I think he'll be up later because they want to give the Rule 5 guys a shake and there's just no room right now.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Tillman’s performance should be irrelevant to that decision IMO.    Are we trying to compete for a playoff spot, or not?    If we are, then we need another good pitcher.

As a fan I agree with you.  But I think the O's management is giving Tillman has chance to be the 4th starter.  The worse he does the more likely they are to be aggressive in getting Cobb or Lynn.   Also the O's management are giving Wright, Castro. Cortes and maybe other O's minor leaguers the opportunity to claim the 5th spot.  The worse they do the more likely that Cobb or Lynn are aggressively pursued by the O's.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

1. It doesn't matter, because he's penciled in whether you like it or not. He's making the team.

2. I could agree here, especially after Buck negged the hell out of Wright after yesterday's game. That said, he's getting results. We'll see.

3. My OP is about OD roster construction, plain and simple. I agree they're pretty interchangeable, but I'm just doing a pure roster exercise/prediction. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

4. Agree, but I think he'll be up later because they want to give the Rule 5 guys a shake and there's just no room right now.

Tillman's contract could be terminated before opening day if he doesn't show enough in ST.  Remember Miguel Gonzalez.

Just now, wildcard said:

Tillman's contract could be termination before opening day if he doesn't show enough in ST.  Remember Miguel Gonzalez.

Sure, but... they haven't even let him throw in games yet so if they're trying to gauge his effectiveness before potentially cutting him, they sure aren't in a hurry to do so. Makes me think he's a veritable lock for at least a couple starts in the regular season.

Also, they'd need to fill his spot if they cut him. They don't have anyone to do that right now. They could put both Wright and Cortes in the rotation, but I'm sure they'd rather try Tillman for a few starts before resorting to that, just based on track record alone.  

Even f they sign Lynn or Cobb, I don't think much changes other than Wright/Cortes getting bumped out of the rotation. If they were letting Tillman pitch I might agree, but they're hiding him which means, essentially, that he'll be on the OD roster.

Archived