The 5th Starter Competition

sportsfan8703

Just now, Luke-OH said:

You've seen him pitch this spring and I haven't so I'll take your word for it. He does have a pretty solid track record of having neutral or reverse splits though, perhaps he doesn't have the feel for his changeup yet?

Will that hold up vs better competition? That of course is the question.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eddie83 said:

Will that hold up vs better competition? That of course is the question.  

Of course, my point is only what's more important, 100's of innings of track record or 7 spring training innings. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Sure. 

I just think this 5th spot could be a fluid situation. 

Definitely, my only point in all of this is to not be fooled by tiny sample sizes, it's that time of year and spring will make fools of us all if we let it.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

If you were Arrieta, Cobb or Lynn, would you be interested in signing with a team that admits it won't be contending for a playoff spot for a few seasons after this one? These guys are veterans. Arrieta and Lynn have each pitched in the World Series. They want their money, but they also want to win.

They're not going to get either from the Orioles. I sure hope I'm wrong, but it's looking that way, isn't it?

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s 7 innings.    Check out Wright’s first two starts in the majors.   This means nothing.  

I know, that's why I called it a mirage :)

18 hours ago, theocean said:

I'll never be able to take Mike Wright seriously just because every time I look at him, I just see Kenny Powers.

I don't disagree.  Except Kenny Powers had some success.  

I believe Mike Wright could be an acceptable #5 starter if both he and the O's were willing to accept that he is no more than a #5. Just let him pitch within his capabilities and don't freak out over the inconsistencies and bad outings. There's room in the AL East for guys who can make all their starts, throw 150 innings and pitch to a 4.95 ERA.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I believe Mike Wright could be an acceptable #5 starter if both he and the O's were willing to accept that he is no more than a #5. Just let him pitch within his capabilities and don't freak out over the inconsistencies and bad outings. There's room in the AL East for guys who can make all their starts, throw 150 innings and pitch to a 4.95 ERA.

Yes, but Wright’s never had an ERA below 5.76 in the majors.     I’d be thrilled if he could throw to a 4.95 ERA as the fifth starter.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, but Wright’s never had an ERA below 5.76 in the majors.     I’d be thrilled if he could throw to a 4.95 ERA as the fifth starter.

I know he hasn't. What I am suggesting is that he likely would do better if he stopped trying to be something he isn't, such as the new Roger Clemens.

31 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I know he hasn't. What I am suggesting is that he likely would do better if he stopped trying to be something he isn't, such as the new Roger Clemens.

I’m a bit skeptical that these guys try to do anything other than get through innings without allowing runs.    That said, I’ve never seen Wright pitch in the minors, so I can’t say if he looks any different in terms of his approach.   

Archived