The 5th Starter Competition

sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cortes starts tomorrow with Castro pitching in relief. That might be telling of where they stand right now. 

10 days before OD and nobody has won this thing. I have no clue how to handicap this. All I know is the first time we need a 5th SP is at HOU and that has been a house of horrors for us the last few seasons. 

Lefty

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been saying Cortes from the start, he’ll win it, because he’s left handed and because he’s the best in-house option. He’ll strikeout enough guys and limit walks. Balls in play will get hit hard, but as long as most stay in the park he’ll be ok.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I’ve been saying Cortes from the start, he’ll win it, because he’s left handed and because he’s the best in-house option. He’ll strikeout enough guys and limit walks. Balls in play will get hit hard, but as long as most stay in the park he’ll be ok.

I agree. Heck, I have Cortes as my #4 starter, ahead of Tillman.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cortes starts tomorrow with Castro pitching in relief. That might be telling of where they stand right now. 

10 days before OD and nobody has won this thing. I have no clue how to handicap this. All I know is the first time we need a 5th SP is at HOU and that has been a house of horrors for us the last few seasons. 

This is why signing Cobb is a huge issue. Cobb signs, everyone is in the BP unless Tillman becomes Ubaldo 

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Running out of starts here for these guys. I guess:

3/20 - Cortes, Castro

3/21- Harvey

3/26- Harvey vs. Cortes/Castro

Eventuallu Buck has got to line up the rotation for the season. Unless he wants to use sim or AAA games. 

Unless opening day is postponed day due to weather and made up the next day, the #5 starter won't be needed until Saturday, April 7. No need to worry about lining up the #5. He'll get plenty of side work, whoever it is.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Running out of starts here for these guys. I guess:

3/20 - Cortes, Castro

3/21- Harvey

3/26- Harvey vs. Cortes/Castro

Eventuallu Buck has got to line up the rotation for the season. Unless he wants to use sim or AAA games. 

Buck said Harvey would get the AAA game, the 3/21 game, and then be optioned.

Just now, interloper said:

I've still got Wright as the #5, but I'd say it's even 50/50 on Wright/Cortes right now. 

Castro will be in the bullpen, there's basically no question about it.

I think Cortes should get the first shot, but expect Buck to give Wright the first few #5 starts. 

I just hope that when the smoke clears and we have a #5, we still have a #4 in Tillman who is not making this board explode.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:05 AM, eddie83 said:

Sure. 

I just think this 5th spot could be a fluid situation. 

Yes, let's hope that fluid is not rocket fuel.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I think Cortes should get the first shot, but expect Buck to give Wright the first few #5 starts. 

I just hope that when the smoke clears and we have a #5, we still have a #4 in Tillman who is not making this board explode.

Agreed!  We are basically trying to draw to an inside straight.  It could happen, but betting heavy on it would be unwise.

Archived