Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ripken said:

It's almost like, a better team would draw more fans.

So why did attendance decline in 2016, a year in which we led the division for much of the year and had a very exciting race down the stretch and clinched a wild card spot on the final day of the season?     I’m sorry, but the Orioles’ fans haven’t really come out to see the team in the numbers I would expect over the last few years.  Don’t blame it on losing when we’ve had one losing season but attendance has declined each of the past three seasons.    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So why did attendance decline in 2016, a year in which we led the division for much of the year and had a very exciting race down the stretch and clinched a wild card spot on the final day of the season?     I’m sorry, but the Orioles’ fans haven’t really come out to see the team in the numbers I would expect over the last few years.  Don’t blame it on losing when we’ve had one losing season but attendance has declined each of the past three seasons.    

It's mainly because of Baltimore city's reputation as of 2015, whether it's accurate or not. Total amounts of murders have been up since 2015. If you took a poll of O's fans who don't attend games at OPACY but watch religiously on TV like I do, that would be the number 1 reason. 2nd reason is that for most fans, getting to Baltimore is a hassle for fans who don't live in MD, as I live 5 1/2 hours away, which is middle ground for most of the O's territory pictured here. 

w-masn.jpg?uuid=H3esTOZHEeGXOe75nF-yhQ

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It's mainly because of Baltimore city's reputation, whether it's accurate or not. If you took a poll of O's fans who don't attend games at OPACY, that would be the number 1 reason. 2nd reason is that for most fans, getting to Baltimore is a hassle, as I live 5 1/2 hours away, which is middle ground for most of the O's territory pictured here. 

w-masn.jpg?uuid=H3esTOZHEeGXOe75nF-yhQ

I find going into Baltimore a stressful proposition. Light rail is an unpredictable pain. Driving presents parking challenges and puts you going into a garage late at night in one of the most dangerous cities in the country. It is all doable but that stuff makes it easier to just pass and stay home. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It would be frustrating, if this guy actually had a basis for saying it.   But he doesn’t.   

I guess you are new to Camden Depot.

We say things based on facts. Yes, we make assumptions.  We thought the payroll would be in the 150s, but based on what we have been told over the winter...we are led to believe the number is actually closer to 140 MM.  Is this a 100% certainty?  No.  Are we making stuff up?  No.

22 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

I find going into Baltimore a stressful proposition. Light rail is an unpredictable pain. Driving presents parking challenges and puts you going into a garage late at night in one of the most dangerous cities in the country. It is all doable but that stuff makes it easier to just pass and stay home. 

I normally stay in hotels near the stadium whenever I go up.  There are good parts of town.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It would be frustrating, if this guy actually had a basis for saying it.   But he doesn’t.   

When I say it I have no basis. He doesn't get his facts from me, fortunately. I'd say he has a reason to say this even if it turns out incorrect. 

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wasn't 2016 the season that the Orioles lost some home dates due to civil unrest?  Do I have the year right on that?  I don't know how much that hurt, but it certainly didn't help, right?

54 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Just take uber or lyft in. 

You get picked up and dropped of right out front. Depending on where you’re coming from it’s not that much more than parking+gas. You don’t have to worry about drinking and driving. Personally, I live about a $20 uber ride away and it’s worth it for me just to go that route.

I work downtown and have a prepaid parking spot near royal farms, but I don’t want to be walking around that place at 11pm at night. Unless it’s a Gentlemen’s club.  

59 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

I guess you are new to Camden Depot.

We say things based on facts. Yes, we make assumptions.  We thought the payroll would be in the 150s, but based on what we have been told over the winter...we are led to believe the number is actually closer to 140 MM.  Is this a 100% certainty?  No.  Are we making stuff up?  No.

Camden Depot?  Haha. People need more than one message board?

34 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Wasn't 2016 the season that the Orioles lost some home dates due to civil unrest?  Do I have the year right on that?  I don't know how much that hurt, but it certainly didn't help, right?

I think that is factual and not internet inflammatory. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You know this team moved to DC during the consecutive losing years. Many casual fans that made the trip to Camden Yards switched teams. Your not getting those casual fans back. Especially when the Nats have been just as good and better over those same years of Orioles success.

Add to that, Baltimore isn't a desirable place to visit, especially during the late night hours. Can you blame fans for not wanting to play Russian roulette just to see a ballgame?

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Camden Depot?  Haha. People need more than one message board?

We are not a message board.

Anyway, see you all later. One thing I am reminded of when I participate in any message board is that I simply do not relate to the medium.

Archived