John Angelos and Brady taking over? (note on Boras as well)

O's are Legends

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The fact they apparently didnt want to sign Lynn for two years is enough to make me question his methods a little. But maybe they like Cobb better. 

How do we know that this is fact?

How do we know, they didnt offer a 2/10-12 contract like Minnesota did and Lynn turned that down too?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

How do we know that this is fact?

How do we know, they didnt offer a 2/10-12 contract like Minnesota did and Lynn turned that down too?

Its reported Lynn asked Baltimore for a two year deal. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m in the mode of “Do, or do not.   There is no try.”    If they don’t get Cobb, I really don’t care to hear explanations of why they didn’t fix the pitching issues during an offseason when prices were the lowest they’ve been in years.   I can accept Cobb/Cashner/Tillman as an adequate (not spectacular) effort to fix our pitching issues, but Cashner, Tillman and a bunch of lower-tier candidates isn’t adequate — not close.

11 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its reported Lynn asked Baltimore for a two year deal. 

and Roch had this:

I’d love to break down the Orioles’ negotiations with Lynn and whether he preferred a short-term deal to avoid Camden Yards and a team projected to finish below .500, but I don’t have any details beyond how the club stayed in contact with his representative and appeared open to three guaranteed years but preferred two with a vesting option.

So even Roch doesn't really know, or isn't allowed to say.

It would be easy to look at this deal as another example of the way baseball operations chief Dan Duquette has been able to wait out the market year after year and acquire pivotal players during early February and spring training, but it’s not quite that simple.
The deal is more proof of the increasing role of Orioles vice president Brady Anderson, who was instrumental in bringing in Cashner and keeping the lines of communication open with Tillman. He also is believed to have been involved heavily in a very lengthy negotiating process with Cobb, who ended up with the largest pitching contract ever awarded to anyone by the Orioles.

Give some credit to the Angelos family because this had to be a tough sell.

Schmuck

Club owner Peter Angelos was convinced to go beyond his comfort zone with Jimenez, and history supported Angelos’ philosophy that those lengths for starting pitchers were risky propositions.

So, I didn’t think the Orioles would do that again. And neither did several members of the front office. I was also told the Orioles really didn’t show much energy in trying to woo Cobb, that well into February the Orioles were not seriously pursuing Cobb because his demands exceeded their liking.

But I’ve heard that Angelos’ sons, John and Lou, were an integral part in getting this deal done late, that there was a hard push recently.

Connolly

On 3/13/2018 at 3:50 PM, interloper said:

Does anyone have a read on John Angelos yet? This article doesn't inspire hope that he's an improvement over Peter.

I've heard him in interviews on the radio... Before I knew who was talking, I listened for about five minutes and thought: This guy knows what's up. He sees the playing field. He understands how to build an organization, not just assemble a roster of mismatched free agents, etc. 

If John takes over, I do believe it would be a good thing for the team. And in my view, signing Cobb, in particular, would be an indicator... if indeed JA was a driving factor. 

Meantime, I think they're mishandling DD something fierce. Empower the man, and let him do his job! If the Davis contract is on PA, and DD wanted pitching, it ticks me off even more... If I were DD, I'd be sprinting for the exits. Another team would love to have him, IMO. 

57 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I've heard him in interviews on the radio... Before I knew who was talking, I listened for about five minutes and thought: This guy knows what's up. He sees the playing field. He understands how to build an organization, not just assemble a roster of mismatched free agents, etc. 

If John takes over, I do believe it would be a good thing for the team. And in my view, signing Cobb, in particular, would be an indicator... if indeed JA was a driving factor. 

Meantime, I think they're mishandling DD something fierce. Empower the man, and let him do his job! If the Davis contract is on PA, and DD wanted pitching, it ticks me off even more... If I were DD, I'd be sprinting for the exits. Another team would love to have him, IMO. 

What if it was on JA? As I understand it, the Orioles is JA's full time job (or equivalent for a guy with family wealth). He's certainly been heavily involved with running the Orioles for a long time. I'm assuming when Buck and DD talk about "ownership" it's not just Good Ole Petey. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

What if it was on JA? As I understand it, the Orioles is JA's full time job (or equivalent for a guy with family wealth). He's certainly been heavily involved with running the Orioles for a long time. I'm assuming when Buck and DD talk about "ownership" it's not just Good Ole Petey. 

The next time anyone named Angelos takes responsibility for a bad decision about the Orioles, let me know. I'm pretty suyre it will be the first time.

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Well we know Baltimore will NEVER give more than a one year deal to any FA pitchers...

actually it sounds like the O's did want to go 2-3 years with Lynn. He still choose a 1 year deal. Whatever. Cobb is perfectly fine with me. I think it was a change in management that led to Cobb. 

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

No way of knowing for sure, of course. But Davis had all the signs of PA's involvement... He was a known PA "favorite"... And it has echoes of the past, like when Pat Gillick wanted to trade away vets, but was forced to keep them all around... and then we had a great year. I suspect PA has held onto that memory as evidence of his baseball genius... 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

actually it sounds like the O's did want to go 2-3 years with Lynn. He still choose a 1 year deal. Whatever. Cobb is perfectly fine with me. I think it was a change in management that led to Cobb. 

I was being facetious regarding the notion that the O's weren't willing to go more than one on Lynn.  Apologize if I inadvertently quoted you or misinterpreted what you wrote.  Without going up the quote tree, I may have been replying to a point you were replying to.  Either way, that was my understanding as well, that Lynn wanted a one-year. 

Archived