MLB unhappy at Judge for recruiting Machado today on the field

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back when I played, I often was on opposing teams from guys I knew or who I had played with at some point. It was understood that you didn’t get friendly around the field of play. 

Go and have a beer after? Yeah, sure. Never during though. The enemy.

Oh cry me a river.  

These guys go out and have dinners together, they train together in the offseasons, they talk to each other during batting practice and between pitching changes.  They have the same agents and have endorsement deals with the same companies. 

This is the landscape of sports today, high priced athletes that hang out with each other in various fashions all the time.  Arguably, one of the worst things that happened to the NBA was the Dream Teams because it got the best players spending time together and getting to know each other and figuring out how to play with each other.  IIRC, LeBron going to South Beach with Bosh to join Wade was hatched while they were on an Olympic team together.  NFL players after a game are taking their jerseys off and signing them and trading them with their opponents.  

Fans like to hold on to this thing that doesn't exist anymore, that these guys are sworn enemies and hate each other because...well, that's the way it was in the good old days.  But it's not like that anymore.

My point is that these guys are having these conversations all the time in private.  So when Judge says something like that, the hand wringing and wrist slapping that ensues is an overreaction.  Manny's probably going to end up there if the dollars add up first and foremost, I don't think a comment from Judge in an ST game is going to sway him.  

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

o

The penalty ........ Rob Manfred will point his index finger at Aaron Judge, make a really mean-looking face and say, "You bastard !!!"

o

Archived