MLB unhappy at Judge for recruiting Machado today on the field

Diehard_O's_Fan

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do the biggest stars on the team come to fanfest?  I don't remember Cal Ripken ever showing up to one.

Something tells me you'll be booing Manny no matter where he goes.  Just a hunch.

Didn't like Cal Ripken either.  

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wonder if Ryan Flaherty acted the way Machado acted would you be  Ok with it?  I don't like Machado I don't care what how good of a ball player he is.   And his not coming to Fanfest once again is the nail in the coffin for me. I hope he goes to the Yankees so I can boo him like I did Reggie Jackson.  

Also I doubt Machado gets the contract you people expect. He has two bad knees and I think it would be pretty bad decision for anyone to give him a contract over 5 years.  

How exactly does Manny act?   I will grant you that he acted poorly when he got into it with Josh Donaldson and then threw a bat in his direction when he was a young player.    I really don’t have a problem with anything he’s done since then, and he has admitted he was totally wrong to have done that.     For the record, I didn’t like him charging the mound two years ago, but I fully understood why he did it and I’m not going to hold a heat of the moment thing like that against him.    

The rest of the time, all I see is a great player who has fun on the field and enjoys it when his teammates do something good.    

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How exactly does Manny act?   I will grant you that he acted poorly when he got into it with Josh Donaldson and then threw a bat in his direction when he was a young player.    I really don’t have a problem with anything he’s done since then, and he has admitted he was totally wrong to have done that.     For the record, I didn’t like him charging the mound two years ago, but I fully understood why he did it and I’m not going to hold a heat of the moment thing like that against him.    

The rest of the time, all I see is a great player who has fun on the field and enjoys it when his teammates do something good.    

He didn't throw a bat at Josh Donaldson. It was Alberto Callaspo at third base, and I think he intended to throw the bat at the pitcher (Abad?) for throwing at him but he held it too long.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What else don't you like?  Puppies?  Ice cream?  Sunshine?  America?

Sheesh, change your name from atomic to fussybritches. 

I think we should make lists of Orioles we like(d) and don't like, for no apparent reason:

Liked: John Lowenstein, Pete Stanicek, Al Pardo, Nate Snell, Dave Skaggs, Nate McLouth, Steve Finley, Brady (but only as a CFer, he got under my skin in LF), Joe Orsulak, Calvin Pickering, BJ Surhoff the first time, Jon Knott, JR House.  Koji.  Farney.

Disliked: Wayne Gross, Dan Ford, Jeff Conine, Doug Johns, Rich Becker, Terry Mathews, BJ Surhoff the 2nd time. Craig Tatum.  Jo-Jo Reyes.  Ryan Freel (sorry).

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd say this is accurate.

Also, people are (rightfully) pissed that Davis got that big deal and that it could be what holds Manny back from staying here.  That's the thing I'm mostly upset about, the organizations ineptness to allocate funds correctly and and place value on a more important asset than what they did.  

Agree 100%, but I'm still not sure he would have resigned no matter how much money they gave him. Pure speculation on my part. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think we should make lists of Orioles we like(d) and don't like, for no apparent reason:

Liked: John Lowenstein, Pete Stanicek, Al Pardo, Nate Snell, Dave Skaggs, Nate McLouth, Steve Finley, Brady (but only as a CFer, he got under my skin in LF), Joe Orsulak, Calvin Pickering, BJ Surhoff the first time, Jon Knott, JR House.  Koji.  Farney.

Disliked: Wayne Gross, Dan Ford, Jeff Conine, Doug Johns, Rich Becker, Terry Mathews, BJ Surhoff the 2nd time. Craig Tatum.  Jo-Jo Reyes.  Ryan Freel (sorry).

Oh man, we could go all day on this.  

Liked:  Randy Milligan, Sam Horn, Orsulak (if you dislike Orsulak, I'm not doing business with you), Chito Martinez, Jack Voigt, Leo Gomez, David Segui the first time, Stacy Jones, Jeff Tackett, Damon Buford, Mark McLemore, Sherman Obando, Tim Hulett, Brad Pennington (shut up), Kevin Bass, David Delucci.

Disliked:  Bob Milacki, Jeff Ballard, Doug Drabek, Mike DeJean, David Segui the 2nd time, Jose Mesa, Manny Alexander,  Brett Barberie, Chris Sabo, Jason Johnson, Buddy Groom.

I'm probably forgetting about a dozen on each side.  I think it's also infinitely easier to dislike pitchers instead of position players. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

I wonder if Ryan Flaherty acted the way Machado acted would you be OK with it ???  I don't like Machado, I don't care what how good of a ball player he is. And his not coming to Fanfest once again was the nail in the coffin for me. I hope that he goes to the Yankees, so I can boo him like I did Reggie Jackson. 

Also, I doubt that Machado gets the contract that you people expect. He has two bad knees, and I think that it would be pretty bad decision for anyone to give him a contract over 5 years.

o

When Reggie Jackson went to the Yankees they immediately won back-to-back World Series in 1977 and 1978, won 103 games in 1980, and made it back to the World Series again in 1981.

That's 4 division titles in 5 years, 3 World Series appearances, and 2 World Series championships ........ all of which Jackson was a big part of.

I would rather Machado stay with the Orioles instead of going to the Yankees, and I would gladly eschew my booing rights of this extremely unlikeable player.

o

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

When Reggie Jackson went to the Yankees they immediately won back-to-back World Series in 1977 and 1978, won 103 games in 1980, and made it back to the World Series again in 1981.

That's 4 division titles in 5 years, 3 World Series appearances, and 2 World Series championships ........ all of which Jackson was a big part of.

I would rather Machado stay with the Orioles instead of going to the Yankees, and I would gladly eschew my booing rights of this extremely unlikeable player.

o

Gregorius had more WAR than Manny did last year.  Modern day Yankees seem to want to stay under the luxury tax. If the Yankees want to over pay for Manny it can only be good for the Orioles.  

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I wonder if Ryan Flaherty acted the way Machado acted would you be OK with it ???  I don't like Machado, I don't care what how good of a ball player he is. And his not coming to Fanfest once again was the nail in the coffin for me.  I hope that he goes to the Yankees, so I can boo him like I did Reggie Jackson.  

Also, I doubt that Machado gets the contract that you people expect. He has two bad knees, and I think that it would be pretty bad decision for anyone to give him a contract over 5 years. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

How exactly does Manny act ??? I will grant you that he acted poorly when he got into it with Josh Donaldson and then threw a bat in his direction when he was a young player. I really dont have a problem with anything hes done since then, and he has admitted he was totally wrong to have done that. For the record, I didnt like him charging the mound two years ago, but I fully understood why he did it and Im not going to hold a heat of the moment thing like that against him.    

o

I saw him strut around the bases and look pretty full of himself when he hit a walk-off home run against the Yankees last September.

If he were a real ballplayer and an upstanding example to the children around the country who watch the games, he would simply put his head down and modestly trot around the bases on all home runs that he hit, like a true hero that the alcoholic, cigarette smoking, philandering Mickey Mantle did.

o

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Gregorius had more WAR than Manny did last year. Modern day Yankees seem to want to stay under the luxury tax. If the Yankees want to overpay for Manny, it can only be good for the Orioles. 

o

The frugality of the "modern-day" Yankees, whom are known to make conscientious efforts to drastically slash their payroll to avoid the dreaded luxury tax that they live in fear of. The "old school" Yankees of 1999-2013 had the highest payroll in the Majors, while the Los Angeles Dodgers shot right on past the "modern-day" Yankees in 2014, and have been sitting above them ever since.

Most Oriole fans cannot wait until Machado is a Yankee so that the tide of the AL East will change in favor of the Orioles.

o

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Liked:  Randy Milligan, Sam Horn, Orsulak (if you dislike Orsulak, I'm not doing business with you), Chito Martinez, Jack Voigt, Leo Gomez, David Segui the first time, Stacy Jones, Jeff Tackett, Damon Buford, Mark McLemore, Sherman Obando, Tim Hulett, Brad Pennington (shut up), Kevin Bass, David Delucci.

Disliked:  Bob Milacki, Jeff Ballard, Doug Drabek, Mike DeJean, David Segui the 2nd time, Jose Mesa, Manny Alexander,  Brett Barberie, Chris Sabo, Jason Johnson, Buddy Groom.

I'm probably forgetting about a dozen on each side.  I think it's also infinitely easier to dislike pitchers instead of position players. 

Loved: Doug DeCinces and Delucci.  'Luc had his family at a BaySox game once, and it was either his sister or girlfriend that was really hot.

I'd put Brett Barberie in the like column.  Didn't his mom play in the League of Their Own girls baseball league, or something like that?  And how can you dislike Jeff Ballard?  Why Not?  He had an 18-win season with 50 strikeouts.  That's unpossible!

Definitely like Brad Pennington.  Had a AA season where he walked like 140 in 120 innings.  I had high hopes he'd be the new Dalkowski, but unfortunately he couldn't throw 115.  Neither could Dalkowski, but I never saw him so we can pretend.

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Loved: Doug DeCinces and Delucci.  'Luc had his family at a BaySox game once, and it was either his sister or girlfriend that was really hot.

I'd put Brett Barberie in the like column.  Didn't his mom play in the League of Their Own girls baseball league, or something like that?  And how can you dislike Jeff Ballard?  Why Not?  He had an 18-win season with 50 strikeouts.  That's unpossible!

Definitely like Brad Pennington.  Had a AA season where he walked like 140 in 120 innings.  I had high hopes he'd be the new Dalkowski, but unfortunately he couldn't throw 115.  Neither could Dalkowski, but I never saw him so we can pretend.

Well when I was 10 or 11 and we got Barberie, I thought we were getting the guy that hit .300 the year before in Florida because THREE HUNDRED HITTER.

I have faint memories of Why Not? and I know Ballard was a big part of that (Bob Milacki, too) but I more remember him from a couple years after that where the magic was gone and he was pretty terrible. 

I wanted Pennington to be like Rob Dibble, which is another way to say I wanted him to be Kenny Powers.  

On a side note, when I was a kid I'd come up with nicknames for some of these guys, like I was Chris Berman or something.  It was Chito "The Bambino" Martinez and Bob "wacky" Milacki.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Was "dislike" simply not strong enough of a descriptor for Lew Ford to make either of your lists?

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well when I was 10 or 11 and we got Barberie, I thought we were getting the guy that hit .300 the year before in Florida because THREE HUNDRED HITTER.

I have faint memories of Why Not? and I know Ballard was a big part of that (Bob Milacki, too) but I more remember him from a couple years after that where the magic was gone and he was pretty terrible. 

I wanted Pennington to be like Rob Dibble, which is another way to say I wanted him to be Kenny Powers.  

On a side note, when I was a kid I'd come up with nicknames for some of these guys, like I was Chris Berman or something.  It was Chito "The Bambino" Martinez and Bob "wacky" Milacki.

Milacki had a decent 91 season. I think he pitched the first 6 of the combined no-hitter against Oakland in 91...i think it was 91. 

Jeff Robinson is my least favorite Orioles player....well he and Craig Lefferts. I thought we were really getting something lol. 

Arthur Rhodes was a favorite of mine. I loved the Why Not O's. That OF of Anderson, Deveraux, and Finley could catch anything.

Archived