Cobb Talk

sportsfan8703

Since the last thread was closed, I figured we need a thread to actually discuss this. 

To catch everyone up,

-Cobb turned down 3/42 from the Cubs early in the offseason. 

-Jim Palmer said on Twitter that Cobb is still asking for 4/68. 

-One of our posters(Rene) has an inside source saying we’re out, but at least Flaherty is a lock to return. 

Given the state of the backend of our rotation we probably need a thread to wish for Cobb. 

I think we should just suck it up and pay him 3/48. 16 million per.  Allows him to save face a little too.  We have so much money coming off the books you could stagger it so it all doesn’t hit this year. 

2018- 12 million

2019- 18 million

2020- 18 million

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wait, FLAHERTY?  

Cobb won't be coming here.  No reason to think he will be.  

Insider information, that made me laugh.

Some folks believe Flaherty will not accept minor league assignment with Philly, opt out and land back here.

49 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some folks believe Flaherty will not accept Minor League assignment with Philly, opt out, and land back here.

o

o

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some folks believe Flaherty will not accept minor league assignment with Philly, opt out and land back here.

If we couldn't sign him to a minor league contract when he was a free agent because of Angelos not Okaying the deal what makes you think Angelos would Ok a major league contract with him.

And on Cobb.    We can only hope he is unsigned until after the All-Star break so we can discuss him for a few more months. 

Just now, atomic said:

If we couldn't sign him to a minor league contract when he was a free agent because of Angelos not Okaying the deal what makes you think Angelos would Ok a major league contract with him.

And on Cobb.    We can only hope he is unsigned until after the All-Star break so we can discuss him for a few more months. 

Cant play the blame Angelos card here, I dont think Peter had anything to do with this.

Remember Flaherty told the press, he got tired of waiting on hearing back from DD, so he took the best offer he had on the table.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Cant play the blame Angelos card here, I dont think Peter had anything to do with this.

Remember Flaherty told the press, he got tired of waiting on hearing back from DD, so he took the best offer he had on the table.

But it has been stated in the press that it was sitting on Angelos' desk for months waiting for his sign-off. 

Just now, atomic said:

But it has been stated in the press that it was sitting on Angelos' desk for months waiting for his sign-off. 

Havent heard that.

I have trouble buying the concept that the owner has to sign off on each contract.

I thought there was a bar and anything above that bar, needed owner approval.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Since the last thread was closed, I figured we need a thread to actually discuss this. 

To catch everyone up,

-Cobb turned down 3/42 from the Cubs early in the offseason. 

-Jim Palmer said on Twitter that Cobb is still asking for 4/68. 

-One of our posters(Rene) has an inside source saying we’re out, but at least Flaherty is a lock to return. 

Given the state of the backend of our rotation we probably need a thread to wish for Cobb. 

I think we should just suck it up and pay him 3/48. 16 million per.  Allows him to save face a little too.  We have so much money coming off the books you could stagger it so it all doesn’t hit this year. 

2018- 12 million

2019- 18 million

2020- 18 million

To be clear on one thing: I *believe* the Flaherty thing was his speculation (not 100% sure) but the Cobb info came from his source. 

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Angelos and Brady got us that sweet Davis deal...what could go wrong?:)

I think the title of the OP says it all...TALK

Everyone here knows that for very little money the O's could land Cobb and have landed right in the middle of being a potential WC.  We are not, even though we often think we are...smarter than the guys running this team.  I have to believe if we were waiting for the right moment to pounce in and grab the prize, we would have jumped.

I want the Orioles to get Cobb, I think they should...I don't think I'd like 4/68?  But if there was a deal here, it should have been done.

O's counter with 4/60?  Would you do that?  I might.  It's not my money, but 12M for Britton to do nothing until we see if he is ok?  Would 4/60 not get it done?

I'm hoping for Cobb, not expecting it though. 

The biggest positive that can come from a Cobb signing is the pressure it takes off the team to keep Tillman. I think we might have a decent 5th starter candidate between Wright, Cortes, Castro, Ynoa, etc. If Tillman bombs though then I can't say we will be lucky enough to see two of those 5th starter candidates be particularly productive. If we have Cobb around then Tillman is battling those 5th starter candidates and it'd be easier to cut him knowing someone will be able to take his place.  

When the Ravens gave someone named Ryan Grant 4/29, it occurred to me that all free agents are probably Ryan Grants to Angelos. These contracts must seem totally insane to him. Probably why we're so much more inclined to throw money at our own guys (Davis, Trumbo, Tillman).

Archived