Cobb only thread

interloper

24 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

All that sounds great except...they have not won when it mattered. They play in one of the weakest divisions in baseball. I view them as a paper tiger. All the prospect rankings are meaningless unless they translate to winning at the big league level. From your write up they should have three rings by now. But, none of what you wrote matters, if they can't actually win a playoff series.

You're probably right.  Just like Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, and Barry Bonds weren't good players.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, backwardsk said:

You're probably right.  Just like Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, and Barry Bonds weren't good players.

That's a completely false comparison. It is a GM's job to build a team to win and win in the playoffs. I didn't even put the bar at winning a World Series. I said playoff series.

32 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

All that sounds great except...they have not won when it mattered. They play in one of the weakest divisions in baseball. I view them as a paper tiger. All the prospect rankings are meaningless unless they translate to winning at the big league level. From your write up they should have three rings by now. But, none of what you wrote matters, if they can't actually win a playoff series.

Rizzo should be credited for signing Scherzer, he has been their Ace, not SS.

18 hours ago, El Gordo said:

If PA were to hire any of these guys and he probably wouldn't, they would have an even tighter straight  jacket than Dan got.

Yes, bringing in a young assistant would be a complete about face.  Angelos likes "baseball guys" Which almost always seems to mean someone who feels the same way he does (I guess?).  In any event our revolving door has been pretty awful but they were all "baseball guys" usually with a former history or track record in Baltimore.  AM and DD had some control but not enough.  I could see one of these assistant-GMs coming to be an assistant, but we already have the great Brady Anderson :o

2 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Yes, bringing in a young assistant would be a complete about face.  Angelos likes "baseball guys" Which almost always seems to mean someone who feels the same way he does (I guess?).  In any event our revolving door has been pretty awful but they were all "baseball guys" usually with a former history or track record in Baltimore.  AM and DD had some control but not enough.  I could see one of these assistant-GMs coming to be an assistant, but we already have the great Brady Anderson :o

Syd was a great baseball guy in his day, sadly medical conditions made him less than idea for his time here.

16 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I think they already have an understanding with Buck to take over the GM job next year.

IF this were the case...would Buck sacrifice this entire year to clear the deck?  I don't think so...and if he would...I wouldn't want him.

16 hours ago, El Gordo said:

A little awkward while Dan is still under contract.

Again...PA Is paying DD anyway...why sacrifice a year for this, if you are naming Buck GM, do it now, fire DD and move on.  Doing nothing...if you know that is what we are doing keeping DD and doing nothing all offseason would be moronic.  Oh wait....yep, you're probably right. ;) 

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

They’re living up to their expos heritage and the DC sports’ noterity for not being able to make it past round 2 of any post season. Most famous example: the Washington Capitals. Bryce Harper is baseball’s answer to Alex Ovechkin 

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Rizzo inherited a terrible team.  Sure he benefited from Harper and Strasburg.  The Nationals success comes from much more than those two.  He does things well in all facets of player acquisition: draft, trade, international, high-end FA, mid-tier FA.  He turned Steven Souza and Travis Ott into Trea Turner and Joe Ross.  Acquired a top 5-10 prospect in all of baseball through international signings.  Snagged another in the top 100.  Traded Christian Guzman for a middling pitching prospect who has provided 14.1 WAR and over 750 IP in his first four controlled years.  They developed a sixth round draft pick as their starting CFer.  For similar money that the O's spent on Trumbo, they get a 2B who has put up seasons of 155 and 136+ OPS seasons.  Made a 4-1 trade to get Gio Gonzalez.  Two of those guys, Cole and Millone are back in the organization.  He murdered that trade.  His Eaton trade hasn't paid dividends yet because of the injury, but they may still end up winning that when it's all said and done.  

And his team is built for the long haul, even if they lose Harper and Murphy to FA.  Four out of the last six seasons with 95 or more wins.  

Rizzo is an excellent team builder.

All of what you said is correct, but it amounts to nothing when ownership does not allow you to make moves. I know DD has his warts, but he has done well enough considering who his boss is. I think if he leaves this organization will take some big steps back, and that"s not even taking into account how most people would see this as a career ending job...before their career even got started.

14 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

All of what you said is correct, but it amounts to nothing when ownership does not allow you to make moves. I know DD has his warts, but he has done well enough considering who his boss is. I think if he leaves this organization will take some big steps back, and that"s not even taking into account how most people would see this as a career ending job...before their career even got started.

I agree.  What DD has done with organizational limitations is impressive.  I was just pointing out that Rizzo is more than just lucking into Harper and Strasburg.  But to your point, he doesn't have the permission to go get a guy like Soto or Scherzer.  And the ability to get Eaton is because of the international market, both directly with Lopez and indirectly with the ability to backfill the loss of first rounders.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

IF this were the case...would Buck sacrifice this entire year to clear the deck?  I don't think so...and if he would...I wouldn't want him.

Buck wants to win, he isnt sacrificing anything. I wouldn't be opposed to Buck in a president role, assuming he had more authority than Duquette seems to have. Otherwise, the team will probably be worse off if Buck leaves.  

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Buck wants to win, he isnt sacrificing anything. I wouldn't be opposed to Buck in a president role, assuming he had more authority than Duquette seems to have. Otherwise, the team will probably be worse off if Buck leaves.  

If Buck wants it.

But so far, I am not convince this has any possibilities, other than a pipe dream of a OH poster.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Nonsense....IF Buck has already been promised to run the team in any capacity starting next year...his competitiveness (Or as you say, Buck wants to win) would absolutely demand that control now.  The money to DD is gone either way.  He would literally be sacrificing the entire year for control.  Who would do that?

Just now, foxfield said:

Nonsense....IF Buck has already been promised to run the team in any capacity starting next year...his competitiveness (Or as you say, Buck wants to win) would absolutely demand that control now.  The money to DD is gone either way.  He would literally be sacrificing the entire year for control.  Who would do that?

I thought 60m came off the books this off-season?

Archived