Astros Sign Jose Altuve 5 Years $151M.

ORIOLE33

Please explain to me why Manny Machado is worth way more than Altuve? We apparently can’t afford Manny, but the Astros can sign their MVP and World Series champion for $30 plus for only 5 years.

Can we really not afford Manny or our we just being cheap?

You'll hear the same excuses.  Altuve isn't a FA for 2 more years yada yada.  The Orioles should have given Manny $100m 2 years ago. Now they will use every excuse not to sign him. They won't even negotiate because they don't want it getting out they lowballed him and they won't offer him a fair deal in fear he would take it. 

They never planned on extending Manny. 

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

If Altuve is a $30m a year player, then Manny is maybe a $25ish m a year player.

8/200-220m should be where Manny tops out imo. The Orioles could afford that...if they wanted.

Do you think that on the open market 5/151 would be all that Altuve would get?

12 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You'll hear the same excuses.  Altuve isn't a FA for 2 more years yada yada.  The Orioles should have given Manny $100m 2 years ago. Now they will use every excuse not to sign him. They won't even negotiate because they don't want it getting out they lowballed him and they won't offer him a fair deal in fear he would take it. 

They never planned on extending Manny. 

That's not really an "excuse."  It's a very valid reason why the length and amount were "only" $151MM/5.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think that on the open market 5/151 would be all that Altuve would get?

I'm comparing it to what he took...not what ifs.  We have no idea what he would have got.

The only thing I'm sure of is Houston is smarter than the Orioles. They locked up their star player before they had to worry about bidding for him on the open market.

20 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

That's not really an "excuse."  It's a very valid reason why the length and amount were "only" $151MM/5.

It's not a valid excuse to me. The Orioles have no excuse for not making a decision one way or the other on Machado. He shouldn't be on the verge of just walking away.

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

I'm comparing it to what he took...not what ifs.  We have no idea what he would have got.

The only thing I'm sure of is Houston is smarter than the Orioles. They locked up their star player before they had to worry about bidding for him on the open market.

You said that if Altuve is worth 30 Manny is worth 25.

But you can't compare a free agent contract to one where the player is unable to field competing offers.  It isn't the same market.

I'm not arguing the other part of your post.  I've long been in favor of locking up guys pre-arbitration.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But you can't compare a free agent contract to one where the player is unable to field competing offers.  It isn't the same market.

I'm not arguing the other part of your post.  I've long been in favor of locking up guys pre-arbitration.

If anything, IMO, this only validates the notion that Manny will get $300MM+.  He's a bit younger, will be completely free and clear of team control, and this is a 30MM AAV deal to point to.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

It's not a valid excuse to me. The Orioles have no excuse for not making a decision one way or the other on Machado. He shouldn't be on the verge of just walking away.

I think we're mixing things here.  I agree that we should have tried harder to extend MM by now.  Just stating why we're observing what we're observing.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Manny is going to get $30m a year either way. 

And I understand your point and I see where your coming from. Manny presents some risks that may bring his market down. 

Unfortunately, barring a miracle we're about to find out how crazy someone will go for Manny.

21 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think we're mixing things here.  I agree that we should have tried harder to extend MM by now.  Just stating why we're observing what we're observing.

I thought the OP meant from an organization rationale.  Maybe not.

Archived