TT: Predicting the Opening Day Roster

Tony-OH

23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Garcia seems to have been the complete opposite. A guy who someone saw hit 100 in instructs, but was just an ok pitcher in Low A.

He struck out the Orioles in instructs. Or so the legend goes. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Just because they are players who any team could have acquired for very little cost. Generally not the types of players that start on a winning team.

Not hating on those guys personally, I like those types of low-risk signings.

I'm just saying for fans that are mad that a Rule 5 player is on the team, I'm surprised they aren't mad about other cheap solutions making the team rather than coveted free agents.

Well there are value in both at times, but I agree, contending teams normally don't need either.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Sisco, Susac and Wynns are all on the 40-man roster and can be freely optioned between the Orioles and the minor leagues.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/03/19/spring-training-primer-davis-returns-roster-getting-little-clearer-tillman-starts-today/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Yes, but we probably don't want 4 catchers on the 40 man roster long term.

This has already been said a million times, but if you're all in-- like going for the gold, this is the year "all in"-- then I don't see how you can carry Rule 5 selections in lieu of participating in free agency. In other words, you shouldn't have any holes in a team that you expect to make a run in playoffs.

This team is constructed like a team that is in rebuild mode (no big signings, NRI and Rule 5 dumpster diving) while simultaneously in go for it mode (trading prospects for pieces and not the other way around). This is the definition of spinning wheels in the mud. We aren't going backward and we aren't going forward.

If we were serious about going for it, we should have signed two starters and put Greg Holland in the pen. JD Martinez would be in the outfield. Boston thinks he'll get them there.

But we aren't serious about it.

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Plenty of expendable names on the 40 man now, but yeah, that could change in the future perhaps.

Susac, Vielma, Mesa, Crichton, Asher, Kelly, Ramirez, Liranzo, Rickard.... I think they'd all pass through waivers.

EDIT: Obviously not Mesa, but he would if he weren't a R5.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

And the O's can do that.   But Valencia is a offensive player that can play defense like Flaherty and Beckham's  arm is not as accurate as Flaherty.    Buck trusts Flaherty defensively.

As far as making room when Trumbo comes back there will be injuries and Buck will have to see how that works out.  Also the O's  need to make a decision on  Santander after 44 days.. if he is doing well they may DTA's  Gentry to AAA and Rusmas  backs up  center with Santander backing up LF/RF and DH.  

Valencia's bat is much more valuable than Flaherty's occasional glove.  I prefer Beckham at SS. to Flash, and in the few instances where that might happen it's not worthy wasting the bench seat.

10 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Valencia's bat is much more valuable than Flaherty's occasional glove.  I prefer Beckham at SS. to Flash, and in the few instances where that might happen it's not worthy wasting the bench seat.

I am confused. Isn't Flaherty with the Phillies now? 

Archived