TT: Predicting the Opening Day Roster

Tony-OH

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Lol, guys with a track record. Read: veterans. 

Exactly. Fantasy baseball thinking is what have you done for me lately.  If nothing trade him for the flavor of the week. Doesn't work in real baseball. You have to maintain a clubhouse.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Exactly. Fantasy baseball thinking is what have you done for me lately.  If nothing trade him for the flavor of the week. Doesn't work in real baseball. You have to maintain a clubhouse.

Do you think Buck sticking with Tillman even when he was ineffective was fantasy baseball? How about taking so long to drop Davis and Trumbo in the order after their in effectiveness, fantasy baseball?

Buck is overly deliberate when making moves that concern veterans. There’s nothing fantastical about that. 

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Do you think Buck sticking with Tillman even when he was ineffective was fantasy baseball? How about taking so long to drop Davis and Trumbo in the order after their in effectiveness, fantasy baseball?

Buck is overly deliberate when making moves that concern veterans. There’s nothing fantastical about that. 

What were the better options? If there were obvious better ones then I would agree. But he has stuck with guys before and they came around. Because he has to manage real baseball he often tries the patience of the fantasy wannabes.

20 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

What were the better options? If there were obvious better ones then I would agree. But he has stuck with guys before and they came around. Because he has to manage real baseball he often tries the patience of the fantasy wannabes.

Davis hasn’t been good since he signed the contract. How long before you cut bait? How long before Buck does? 

This isn’t a case of real baseball versus the fantasy game. It’s Buck showing loyalty to guys who aren’t performing based on them being veterans.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Davis hasn’t been good since he signed the contract. How long before you cut bait? How long before Buck does? 

This isn’t a case of real baseball versus the fantasy game. It’s Buck showing loyalty to guys who are performing based on them being veterans.

There's five years and $115 million worth of reasons why the O's won't be cutting bait with Chris Davis anytime soon.

32 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

When you have Tillman, Ubaldo, and Miley in a rotation, how were we really going to replace all three?  

What scares me about this season is not that Tillman is the #4, and Castro/Cortes are going to be #5.  It's that who do we have behind them?  A repeat of last season.  Asher, Aquino, Wright.  Maybe Hunter Harvey.  

It's hard to win when you 2/5 of your rotation are going to be huge underdogs going into any given game.  I think it's a drain on the team too.  It's only human nature to see, "Oh damn, this guy is starting tonight.".

1 minute ago, theocean said:

There's five years and $115 million worth of reasons why the O's won't be cutting bait with Chris Davis anytime soon.

In regards to playing time??? Pretty sure there’s no language in the contract stating specifically they HAVE to play him even if he’s sucking.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

This isn’t a case of real baseball versus the fantasy game. It’s Buck showing loyalty to guys who aren’t performing based on them being veterans.

As much as Davis has been a let down at the plate, at least he's still really good with the glove, even if the metrics don't back it up.  Mancini doesn't have the range he has, and he can't throw the ball around the infield the way Davis does.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

When you have Tillman, Ubaldo, and Miley in a rotation, how were we really going to replace all three?  

It's only human nature to see, "Oh damn, this guy is starting tonight.".

I’ll admit replacing all three of the guys who stunk last year would have been challenging, but it could have been done (because it was to a degree) with all of them. Mix and match with the scrubs he ran out there at various times. Castro could have been given at least a couple more.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Cutting bait isn't Buck's call, he has a 23 M dollar guy he has to play him.

Archived