Sisco is playing himself off the 25-man in today's game (Gamethreadish)

interloper

11 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Buck has said in the past that he doesn’t like doing that because if the starting catcher gets hurt you lose the DH. 

I disagree because it would only affect one game and the upside outweighs the downside risk. 

What if Sisco is not the backup C? I am saying he could be the DH, period. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

The two radio guys just said Sisco played his way ON the team, hahaha

I think he still makes the team. I'm being pretty reactionary, I guess. But the plays were downright ugly, and they were easy plays. Really stress that. He's got to get better at this kind of thing.

24 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

From what I have read his glove is quite good actually. It is his arm that has been his issue.  If he can hit like we think, and can call a good game, and is quiet behind the plate, I can live with a subpar arm.

That's a bit of a stretch. He's not really good at anything behind the plate, Is he passable in receiving, blocking and calling a game, probably, but I wouldn't call him good back there. His throwing is just not good at all. He has a lack of accuracy more than a lack of arm strength which is ok.

Saying that, the kid can hit. Hard not to think he would look pretty good as the DH against right-handers.

Just now, interloper said:

I think he still makes the team. I'm being pretty reactionary, I guess. But the plays were downright ugly, and they were easy plays. Really stress that. He's got to get better at this kind of thing.

The batter was in the way of the one throw. He double pumped on the other. A clock issue. He is the reason that the O's fought back though. Don't you think?

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a bit of a stretch. He's not really good at anything behind the plate, Is he passable in receiving, blocking and calling a game, probably, but I wouldn't call him good back there. His throwing is just not good at all. He has a lack of accuracy more than a lack of arm strength which is ok.

Saying that, the kid can hit. Hard not to think he would look pretty good as the DH against right-handers.

Can he hit well enough to catch?

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yes.  If the choice is between a catcher with a great arm and a catcher who calls a good game, give me the 2nd guy every time.  Of course, I'd rather have both :)  I haven't really heard any comments about Sisco's ability to call a game.

Rays' are wearing wristbands.

The team just scored six runs against Boston relievers that are going to make the team... Sisco with 3 RBI and a run scored beating a throw to home plate.

I agree, his bat needs to be in the lineup somehow.  Being left handed is a big deal too.  It's too bad Buck won't do the DH-C thing because that would be my solution.

55 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So, he made his first error of the Spring today, and people are for sending him down based on that.  I have no problem sending him down if he's not ready, but I think I need a bit more evidence.  

Folks have been looking for an excuse.  Just circling, gliding on the thermals, waiting.

1 minute ago, weams said:

The batter was in the way of the one throw. He double pumped on the other. A clock issue. He is the reason that the O's fought back though. Don't you think?

He's responsible for 4 of the 10 runs, so yeah, definitely. 

Could they DH him and bring Susac on the roster? 4 starting pitchers to start the year? Dunno. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Folks have been looking for an excuse.  Just circling, gliding on the thermals, waiting.

Believe me, I'd much rather he make the team and be awesome. I'm not a Wynns or Susac believer. But the arm is a big problem, and it has been. He hasn't made any real progress in that regard.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

He's responsible for 4 of the 10 runs, so yeah, definitely. 

Could they DH him and bring Susac on the roster? 4 starting pitchers to start the year? Dunno. 

Tony likes Joseph well enough to start. Many people think Caleb is a good catcher. Maybe he can mentor Sisco. Unlike what Wieters did with Caleb. 

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

How does that work? What do you do with Trumbo?

Roenicke/Lowenstein at 1B.  Davis and Trumbo both start the 40 games Sisco spells Joseph.

C - Joseph 120, Sisco 40

DH - Sisco 90, Trumbo 50, Davis 20

1B - Davis 100, Trumbo 60

130 Sisco

120 Davis/Joseph

110 Trumbo

Squeezes Valencia pretty bad though.  

Archived