Sisco vs. Mountcastle

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

The orioles, apparently. But they keep swinging when they get to the majors too.

I don't think Mountcastle will ever have a good walk rate but he's very young and getting what I feel is questionable instruction.

I do think he will do better than 9-25-17. 

The value of a good hitting/average defense C is so much higher than a good hitting corner OF/1B. If there is any chance of Sisco sticking at C, they should do it. But if he just isn't capable, they should move on and get his bat in the lineup somewhere else. Worked with Mancini. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A few reasons.

1. I think Sisco's bat is more plus for a catcher than Mountcastle's will be at third.
  2. I think Mountcastle's issues on defense will cost the Orioles more runs than Sisco's at catcher.
  3. I think catcher is more a position of need.

Good thoughts. Plus Sisco is more polished at the plate. Mountcastle could flame out in AA. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

To state the obvious, Sisco played a full year of AAA baseball, while Mountcastle has played less than two months of AA and hit very poorly there.     There’s no real comparison between them.   

Also, we have a need at C, and don’t have one at SS/3B.

Agree with this.  Sisco is also 23, Mountcastle 21.  

If I may Joey, and I love the work you do here and mean this respectfully, I think you've gotten to know Wynns personally and have such a rooting interest there that you're taking it out on Sisco a bit.  He's hit really well at every level and Russell and Buck have both continued to praise the progress he's made defensively.  I think he's earned his shot - we'll see if Buck agrees.  I'm confident that Wynns will get his shot eventually, which is also an awesome story for a guy who was a senior sign.

Big different between the two,  Sisco actually has a descent arm, its his footwork and release times that need work, I saw the same reports on Celeb and Russell improve them.  Mountcastle doesn't have a MLB arm and his ball to hand motion is extremely slow, he should never play a game in MLB at third. Both already have the bat to have long careers in baseball.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Agree with this.  Sisco is also 23, Mountcastle 21.  

If I may Joey, and I love the work you do here and mean this respectfully, I think you've gotten to know Wynns personally and have such a rooting interest there that you're taking it out on Sisco a bit.  He's hit really well at every level and Russell and Buck have both continued to praise the progress he's made defensively.  I think he's earned his shot - we'll see if Buck agrees.  I'm confident that Wynns will get his shot eventually, which is also an awesome story for a guy who was a senior sign.

I never mentioned Wynns in this, nor made him a part of this question. 

I know Sisco has made progress in his defense. However, the game yesterday showed he still had some defensive issues, but can hit the ball well enough that it might cover them. Same thing that Mouncastle was doing this Spring. Make an error, then hit a 2 run home run. I only asked if it seemed worth the "give and take."

Also for what it's worth, I've seen Sisco catch and wasn't fully comfortable with his defense for nearly a year before I knew Wynns.

11 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I never mentioned Wynns in this, nor made him a part of this question. 

I know Sisco has made progress in his defense. However, the game yesterday showed he still had some defensive issues, but can hit the ball well enough that it might cover them. Same thing that Mouncastle was doing this Spring. Make an error, then hit a 2 run home run. I only asked if it seemed worth the "give and take."

Also for what it's worth, I've seen Sisco catch and wasn't fully comfortable with his defense for nearly a year before I knew Wynns.

I know you didn't mention Wynns here.  Sincerely, it was not an insult.

From what Buck has said Sisco is above average at everything except throwing.  These days hardly anyone steals bases anymore.  I don't see Sisco's arm strength a big a deal as Mountcastle's.  You sort of can't play third without a strong arm. I don't want to see another Mark Reynolds type guy butchering the position.  It is no surprise  that once we got Reynolds off of third we started winning. 

Also good hitting third basemen are a dime a dozen these days. Not too many good hitting catchers.  

Archived