Sun Next?

weams

41 minutes ago, weams said:

Do people read newspapers now days? I haven't read a newspaper in a long time. When I can get all the news I can stomach off the internet. I read Colts news off the internet and O's news here. No newspaper needed. 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

Do people read newspapers now days? I haven't read a newspaper in a long time. When I can get all the news I can stomach off the internet. I read Colts news off the internet and O's news here. No newspaper needed. 

Last time I bought a newspaper I needed something to pile the steamed crabs on.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I enjoy the feel of a newspaper in my hands. And I have more trust in the news I get there than I do from most internet sources. That’s not to say I trust all of it.

o

That's what one of my professors in college said when one of the students in our class told him that there was no need to buy newspapers anymore when you can get them for free on the internet ........ he smiled and said, "There's something about actually having that newspaper in your hands that you can quite grasp in the same manner when you are reading it from the internet."

o

Print means permanence. That's one of many reasons why it is more reliable than digital 'news.' Newspapers can't print outright lies without having to answer for what they printed. Online content can be, and is, edited as desired, especially when originally posted with malicious intent.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I enjoy the feel of a newspaper in my hands.    And I have more trust in the news I get there than I do from most internet sources.    That’s not to say I trust all of it.    

I agree.   I also work in a situation with limited work internet, so I read a paper (or two) with my lunch every day.

And when I have a whole paper, I read the whole paper.   No, not every article, but I go through every page and read articles of interest.

It might not add to my knowledge of the Orioles, because I go places like this and get all I need.

Today's Sun had an article on how they are reviving Hammerjacks that included the history of the old Hammerjacks, plans for the new one, etc.   It was interesting, I have many memories of the old Hammerjacks.   But if I didn't have a paper, there's no way I would have woken up this morning and decided to search the web for information on Hammerjacks.

Yesterday's health section had an article on new treatment for Parkinson's.   It's not a disease that I or anyone close to me has, but it is interesting information.   I never would have woke up yesterday and decided to look for something like that on the web.

There are examples of that every day.   I think if you at least peruse a newspaper daily and read articles of interest, you will wind up a lot more well rounded and knowledgable in the long run.   Not to mention if it is your local paper, you will know a lot more about the community you live in.   I know about bills that are before the legislature in Maryland that I would never have searched out information on otherwise.

Yes, I still read a newspaper every day.

I've subscribed to the Harrisburg Patriot-News for years.  When they cut back to printing only three issues a week, I started going to the local convenience store and picking up a copy of the York Daily Record on those days that the Patriot-News doesn't publish.  I figured it would be hard for a newspaper that calls itself the Daily Record to change its schedule and print on a less frequent basis.

A few weeks ago, the Daily Record increased its price - by 100%.  They went from $1.00 per issue right to $2.00 per issue.  They gave no explanation for the move and certainly did not increase their content.

I've long said a newspaper would be cheap at twice the price.  And I still feel that way, so I'm still buying the Daily Record. 

I'd hate to think that the Daily Record was intentionally trying to price itself out of business.  But I notice that every time I go into the convenience store to buy my paper, no matter what time of day it is, there are exactly four copies of the Daily Record on the shelf.  I can't avoid the suspicion that only four copies are delivered every day and I'm the only one who ever buys one.

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

I agree.   I also work in a situation with limited work internet, so I read a paper (or two) with my lunch every day.

And when I have a whole paper, I read the whole paper.   No, not every article, but I go through every page and read articles of interest.

It might not add to my knowledge of the Orioles, because I go places like this and get all I need.

Today's Sun had an article on how they are reviving Hammerjacks that included the history of the old Hammerjacks, plans for the new one, etc.   It was interesting, I have many memories of the old Hammerjacks.   But if I didn't have a paper, there's no way I would have woken up this morning and decided to search the web for information on Hammerjacks.

Yesterday's health section had an article on new treatment for Parkinson's.   It's not a disease that I or anyone close to me has, but it is interesting information.   I never would have woke up yesterday and decided to look for something like that on the web.

There are examples of that every day.   I think if you at least peruse a newspaper daily and read articles of interest, you will wind up a lot more well rounded and knowledgable in the long run.   Not to mention if it is your local paper, you will know a lot more about the community you live in.   I know about bills that are before the legislature in Maryland that I would never have searched out information on otherwise.

Every day the internet gets better and better at showing all of us less and less variety and in the process increasing our igorance and shrinking our tolerance.  It won't be long before your normal daily routine will be marveled at as some long, lost secret.  My advice is patent your habit and when people suddenly recoginze there's genius in a balanced informational diet, you might make a few bucks off it.

14 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Online....I still read Mike Preston and Schmuck.

10 hours ago, WillyM said:

Yes, I still read a newspaper every day.

I've subscribed to the Harrisburg Patriot-News for years.  When they cut back to printing only three issues a week, I started going to the local convenience store and picking up a copy of the York Daily Record on those days that the Patriot-News doesn't publish.  I figured it would be hard for a newspaper that calls itself the Daily Record to change its schedule and print on a less frequent basis.

A few weeks ago, the Daily Record increased its price - by 100%.  They went from $1.00 per issue right to $2.00 per issue.  They gave no explanation for the move and certainly did not increase their content.

I've long said a newspaper would be cheap at twice the price.  And I still feel that way, so I'm still buying the Daily Record. 

I'd hate to think that the Daily Record was intentionally trying to price itself out of business.  But I notice that every time I go into the convenience store to buy my paper, no matter what time of day it is, there are exactly four copies of the Daily Record on the shelf.  I can't avoid the suspicion that only four copies are delivered every day and I'm the only one who ever buys one.

Good stuff. Neighbor. 

Archived