Final 25 Roster?

Rene88

51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He has shoulder tendinits. The proof is he is throwing 88 with bad command and terrible results. If he refuses to acknowledge it, then release him. It doesn't matter what they say in the press. They will always say he is healthy until he isn't. 

I’m not worried that he’s going to throw 88.   He averaged 91.2 last year.   He was up at 92-93 in his previous start, and Buck said this gun was 1-2 mph slow.    I believe that.     

Overall, I think people are jumping to conclusions here.    It’s too soon to tell whether Tillman is the same as last year, worse or considerably better.   Three spring training starts isn’t much basis for judgment.     I’ll reserve judgment until he’s made 4-5 starts in the regular season.   

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

I’m not worried that he’s going to throw 88.   He averaged 91.2 last year.   He was up at 92-93 in his previous start, and Buck said this gun was 1-2 mph slow.    I believe that.     

Overall, I think people are jumping to conclusions here.    It’s too soon to tell whether Tillman is the same as last year, worse or considerably better.   Three spring training starts isn’t much basis for judgment.     I’ll reserve judgment until he’s made 4-5 starts in the regular season.   

He has picked up in the spring exactly where he left off last year. Do you honestly think something has changed between now? He pitched to a 7.84 ERA last year and now has an 8.03 ERA this spring. That kind of spring was enough to get Kim stuck on the bench for two months but we ignore it for Tillman?

I understand not wanting to completely get rid of him, so agree on an injury, let him rehab, and give him a few more starts in the minors.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'd be happy to be wrong about Tillman. I don't expect him to return to 2016 form or 2017 form. I expect him to be somewhere in-between. His release point is back where it belongs, but his velocity is more in line with last season. Maybe Cobb will help him become successful without the 4S, or maybe he'll become a #5 pitcher who has a good outing one time out and sucks the next time. If he averages 5 innings per start and posts a 5.00 ERA he'll be worth his $3 million and Harvey can take his spot in the rotation in July. Anything better would be a pleasant surprise.

* Alex Presley couldn’t find a better offer while exploring in his 48-hour window and deciding whether to opt-out of his minor league deal. The Orioles are glad to hold onto him.

Presley was reassigned yesterday and will join Norfolk’s outfield. He went 13-for-40 (.325) with two doubles and a triple, and manager Buck Showalter likes his defense. There just wasn’t a spot for his left-handed bat with Rasmus and Santander on the roster.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/reflections-on-spring-training-as-orioles-break-camp.html

2 hours ago, weams said:

I love how Roch says the last spot came down to Castro versus Joely and Edgin, without even mentioning Mike Wright and Tillman as possible cuts.

The ideal scenario probably would have been to retain three lefties and have Cortes serve as the long man to back up five right-handed starters. Rodriguez or Edgin could have provided a nice contrast. But Rule 5 pick Pedro Araujo made the club and the decision on the final spot came down to Rodriguez, Edgin and Miguel Castro.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I love how Roch says the last spot came down to Castro versus Joely and Edgin, without even mentioning Mike Wright and Tillman as possible cuts.

The ideal scenario probably would have been to retain three lefties and have Cortes serve as the long man to back up five right-handed starters. Rodriguez or Edgin could have provided a nice contrast. But Rule 5 pick Pedro Araujo made the club and the decision on the final spot came down to Rodriguez, Edgin and Miguel Castro.

Tillman wasn’t a real consideration to be cut.

Pedro Alvarez made the team? I guess he is using Trumbo's spot. Also Wright has made the team along with the two rule 5 pitchers. Castro has also made the team. Im assuming he has options to be sent down when Cobb returns.  Gentry/Rasmus/Santander are platooning RF. Valencia for now is the 4th IF. 

Archived