Ubaldo and Feldman

weams

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Never understood the Ubaldo hate. He was better than Tillman last year, and if he gets an opportunity he would be better than Tillman this year. Of course Tillman may be the worst starter with a ML contract in all of baseball.

The Ubaldo “hate” is because he was the highest paid pitcher we’ve ever had, sucked for 3 of the 4 years he was here, was extremely aggravating to watch, and put the wildcard game out of reach in 2016.    Nobody really hates him of course; he’s a quality, stand-up guy.   But we hate the idea of ever seeing him pitch in an Orioles uniform again.  

Tillman, on the other hand, was an excellent pitcher for us over several seasons and was a key component of three playoff teams.       People don’t forget that.    And yes, we all know how horrible he was last year (yes, worse than Ubaldo). But Tillman’s career here warrants taking a flyer on him returning to form, whereas Ubaldo’s simply doesn’t.    And I say that even though I’m not particularly optimistic about Tillman.    I’d say his odds of justifying his spot on the roster are maybe 30%.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Never understood the Ubaldo hate. He was better than Tillman last year, and if he gets an opportunity he would be better than Tillman this year. Of course Tillman may be the worst starter with a ML contract in all of baseball.

The guy who trashes almost everyone doesn't understand the Ubaldo hate?  

Image result for yeah okay meme

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

If only we had five starters like Ubaldo.  Then we would be cooking with gas.   By that I mean we would have first overall pick. 

9 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Lol, he was better than Tillman last year. So, he was better than the worst pitcher in all of baseball?

Ringing endorsement.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Ubaldo “hate” is because he was the highest paid pitcher we’ve ever had, sucked for 3 of the 4 years he was here, was extremely aggravating to watch, and put the wildcard game out of reach in 2016.    Nobody really hates him of course; he’s a quality, stand-up guy.   But we hate the idea of ever seeing him pitch in an Orioles uniform again.  

Tillman, on the other hand, was an excellent pitcher for us over several seasons and was a key component of three playoff teams.       People don’t forget that.    And yes, we all know how horrible he was last year (yes, worse than Ubaldo). But Tillman’s career here warrants taking a flyer on him returning to form, whereas Ubaldo’s simply doesn’t.    And I say that even though I’m not particularly optimistic about Tillman.    I’d say his odds of justifying his spot on the roster are maybe 30%.

Well said.

9 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Your kidding right? Your going to use a season that Tillman was injured to make a case Ubaldo is better? Throw away the previous seasons Tillman was the Orioles best pitcher? Forget 3 out of 4 seasons Ubaldo was a complete waste of money and roster space?

It may not be how we remember it, but Ubaldo was better than Tillman in two of his four years in Baltimore. There is 2017 -- they both stunk, but Tillman was so much worse that it counts as one season Ublado's way -- and there is 2015, too.
Tillman 31 starts, 173 IPs, 4.99 ERA, 82 ERA+, 1.387 WHIP
Ubaldo 32 starts, 184 IPs, 4.11 ERA, 100 ERA+, 1.359 WHIP

As hard as it may be to believe, Ubaldo was a better pitcher than Tillman in two of the last three seasons.

Ubaldo?  Sure, bring back Tyler Wilson too.  Add put Ubaldo in with Mike Wright AND Tilllman...that way we will look almost exactly like 2017.  The goal is to try to win, remember?  Good Lord.   Feldman on minor league deal...as insurance, maybe.  But  Ubaldo is just going to have to try to get by on that measly 50 million he already sucked out of us. 

9 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

It may not be how we remember it, but Ubaldo was better than Tillman in two of his four years in Baltimore. There is 2017 -- they both stunk, but Tillman was so much worse that it counts as one season Ublado's way -- and there is 2015, too.
Tillman 31 starts, 173 IPs, 4.99 ERA, 82 ERA+, 1.387 WHIP
Ubaldo 32 starts, 184 IPs, 4.11 ERA, 100 ERA+, 1.359 WHIP

As hard as it may be to believe, Ubaldo was a better pitcher than Tillman in two of the last three seasons.

I'm giving Tillman a pass on 2017. Tillman also rebounded very nicely in 2016 and previous to 2015 was very good. Tillman was also cheap those years, and Ubaldo was paid to alot of money to stunk 3 out of 4 years. 

I see your point, but in no way anyone can convince me Ubaldo Jimenez should be back with the Orioles and Tillman shouldn't. 

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Ubaldo?  Sure, bring back Tyler Wilson too.  Add put Ubaldo in with Mike Wright AND Tilllman...that way we will look almost exactly like 2017.  The goal is to try to win, remember?  Good Lord.   Feldman on minor league deal...as insurance, maybe.  But  Ubaldo is just going to have to try to get by on that measly 50 million he already sucked out of us. 

Tyler Wilson is not an MLB pitcher. Ubaldo could still throw a no-hitter on the right day. He may walk 8. 

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm giving Tillman a pass on 2017. Tillman also rebounded very nicely in 2016 and previous to 2015 was very good. Tillman was also cheap those years, and Ubaldo was paid to alot of money to stunk 3 out of 4 years. 

I see your point, but in no way anyone can convince me Ubaldo Jimenez should be back with the Orioles and Tillman shouldn't. 

Tilman may be awful this year. We will know in a month. Cobb and Cashner allow for that to be addressed. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Tyler Wilson is not an MLB pitcher. Ubaldo could still throw a no-hitter on the right day. He may walk 8. 

Well he never did in the four years we paid him and now he is 4 years older.  He would never stick with any mechanics changes that might have helped him, always going back to his incredibly erratic motion.   DD gave Tyler a major league job over Miguel Gonzalez.   No to Ubaldo.  No, no, no.  No to Ryan Flaherty, no to Nolan Reimold...time to move on.  

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I simply give the many posters on OH too much intellectual credit to believe that any are actually lobbying the Orioles to bring back Ubaldo for a 2nd try.

Kudos, dont believe anybody has used the combination of OH Posters and intellectual in the same sentence before. :)

Archived