2018 Dylan Bundy

Il BuonO

I fully expect OFFNY to contribute his pitching line expertise to these threads.

Bundy looked fine to me with great command of his secondary offerings. FB sat at 92 for most of the early innings touching 93. Except for a few hard outs in the 1st I thought he limited hard contact.

Encouraging first outing to be sure.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pounded the strike zone and was incredibly pitch-efficient.   He would have gone at least one more inning later in the year.   

I agree. I thought he would come out for the 8th (88 pitches though 7) at one point but wasn’t surprised Buck held him out.

o

Bundy only threw 88 pitches over 7 full innings.

21 OUTS: ) 7 Strikeouts, 5 Flyouts, 4 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Popouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))))) (vs. TWINS, 3/29) )))))))) [OPENING DAY]

IP:llll.7

H:llllll ) l(5 Singles)

R:llll.  0

BB:lll.1

SO:lll.7

Pitches: l) 88  )(64 )Strikes, )24)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  0.00 )  7.00 IP  (0 Runs) 

2018 WHIP: l)  0.857  )  7.00 IP  (6 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .200  )(5 for 25)

PITCHES BY INNING  

12  ll(71 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

81  ll(61 llStrikes, l.lllBalls)

18  ll(12 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

16  lll(10 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

10  lll(81 llStrikes, l.lllBalls)

10  lll(81 llStrikes, l.lllBalls)

14  lll(13 llStrikes, l.llllBalls)

o

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Averaged .92.3 with the FB and maxed out at 94.    Threw the slider 24 times, 21 for strikes including 12 whiffs.    He had everything working.   I love watching him work.   

He strikes me as a guy with a plan, knows how he wants to attack each hitter and knows what’s working. His demeanor out there is a big difference plus, too. Never see him rattled.

Caleb didn't have a great game defensively but I thought he called a heck of a game. He and bundy were firing on all cylinders.

I have to say though, early on he did have some balls that were tagged. I know he's a fly ball pitcher but a lot of those long outs could be home runs in July.

With that said, his offspeed stuff was fantastic and I loved watching his sequencing. Great start!

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Bundy could still throw uppers 90's, he would be this generation's Roger Clemens without the baggage.

And if he were Roger Clemens, he would throw upper 90's heat with the baggage. 

He wasn’t commanding his fastball well the first couple innings, guys hit a bunch of solid flyballs on FBs that caught the heart of the plate. Once he broke out the slider in earnest in the 3rd inning he was in complete control though. Changeup improved as the outing progressed as well.

So, just dreaming on Bundy a little here.    It seems to me that this is the year for him to break out.    He’s got four pitches and knows how to use them.   The slider’s a killer, but they’re all good.

Last year he had two issues:  (1) occasional games where he’d let things spiral out of control a little (he allowed more than 3 ER only eight times, but those included a 7-spot, four 6’s and two 5’s), and (2) he wore down a bit at mid season and had to be used more sparingly in the second half.   I feel like both those things are less likely to occur this year with Bundy having had a full year’s workload and a bit more experience under his belt.  

So what the heck — I’ll say Bundy will be an all-star this year and several seasons to come.   Put me down for 190 IP, 15+ wins and a sub-3.50 ERA.    I’m all in!

18 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Bundy could still throw uppers 90's, he would be this generation's Roger Clemens without the baggage.

I don't think he could ever throw upper 90s.  Gausman, sure.  Not Bundy.

That said, he could hit 94 a bit more consistently before.

I've mentioned this before, but FB velo is up around the league.  92-93 seems to be average or maybe even a hair below now.  That said, it's more about secondary pitches and command.  A lot of good pitchers cant throw 97 like Gausman and Severino.  But they still work efficiently and get their share of Ks.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I don't think he could ever throw upper 90s.  Gausman, sure.  Not Bundy.

That said, he could hit 94 a bit more consistently before.

I've mentioned this before, but FB velo is up around the league.  92-93 seems to be average or maybe even a hair below now.  That said, it's more about secondary pitches and command.  A lot of good pitchers cant throw 97 like Gausman and Severino.  But they still work efficiently and get their share of Ks.

Do you mean post surgery or ever?

Because there is a fair amount of data showing him throwing in the upper 90's as a high schooler and his first year in the minors.

Now if you don't want to believe the claims of hitting 100 during bullpens that I'm fine with.

For the record Brooks Baseball has him as high as 96.67 with his 4 seam.  (MLB innings only)

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=605164&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/30/2018&s_type=2

Archived