2018 Dylan Bundy

Il BuonO

o

AL Strikeout Leaders (April 21st)

Gerrit Cole lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll(41)

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY lllllllllllllllllllllllll (40)

Justin Verlander lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll (39)

Cole Hamels lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll (34)

https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/987692440474841088

o

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Best pitcher on our staff by far. Imagine if he didn't have all those past arm injuries? He knows how to pitch. Matter of fact, if the O's are out of it and have a deadline fire sale, he's the only untouchable on the Orioles roster, IMO.

If we have a fire sale, it's going to be a few seasons before we're good again. Do we keep him for the losing seasons?  With his team control, trading him would go a long way towards the rebuild. 

15 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

If we have a fire sale, it's going to be a few seasons before we're good again. Do we keep him for the losing seasons?  With his team control, trading him would go a long way towards the rebuild. 

I'd listen to any offer but the return would have to be very high.

Bundy’s first 5 starts, 2017:  32.2 IP, 26 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 6 BB, 23 K’s, 1.65 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, 3.8 K/BB

Bundy’s first 5 starts, 2018: 31.2 IP, 26 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 9 BB, 40 K’s, 1.42 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 4.4 K/BB

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bundy’s first 5 starts, 2017:  32.2 IP, 26 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 6 BB, 23 K’s, 1.65 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, 3.8 K/BB

Bundy’s first 5 starts, 2018: 31.2 IP, 26 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 9 BB, 40 K’s, 1.42 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 11.4 K/9, 4.4 K/BB

Are you suggesting we should give him the Cy Young yet?

25 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Sure, that's why it would go along way towards the rebuild.  If Bundy keeps performing like this, and with the control left, you'd have to pay a king's ransom to acquire him.  

Start with a 2019 ready MI and their top pitching prospect and start adding pieces from there.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

The K's are really, really impressive. The domination is beautiful to behold. 

o

In his first outing, Bundy threw l88 pitches over 7 innings IP.

In his second outing, Bundy threw l98 pitches over 6 IP.

In his third outing, Bundy threw l101 pitches over 7 IP.

In his fourth outing, Bundy threw l94 pitches over 5.67 IP.

In his fifth outing, Bundy threw l108 pitches over 6 IP.

In today's outing, Bundy threw l86 pitches over 4.67 IP.

14 OUTS: ) 4 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))))) (vs. D-RAYS, 4/26)

IP:llll4.67

H:lll 11 ) l(2 Home Runs, 2 Doubles, 7 Singles)

R:lllll  8

BB:llll1 ) *

SO:llll4

Pitches: l) 86  )(60 )Strikes, )26)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  2.97 )  36.33 IP  (12 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.294  )  36.33 IP  (47 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .261  )(37 for 142)

* )) Bundy also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING  

16  lll(81 l.Strikes, lll81 llllBalls)

20  lll(15 l.Strikes, ll51 llllBalls)

31  lll(20 llStrikes, l11 llllBalls)

91  lll(81 l.Strikes, lll11 lllBalls)

10  lll(91 llStrikes, lll11 lllBalls) **

** )) Bundy recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

o

In his first outing, Bundy threw l88 pitches over 7 innings IP.

In his second outing, Bundy threw l98 pitches over 6 IP.

In his third outing, Bundy threw l101 pitches over 7 IP.

In his fourth outing, Bundy threw l94 pitches over 5.67 IP.

In his fifth outing, Bundy threw l108 pitches over 6 IP.

In his sixth outing, Bundy threw l86 pitches over 4.67 IP.

In today's outing, Bundy threw l90 pitches over 4.33 IP.

13 OUTS: ) 5 Flyouts, 4 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDY )))))))) (vs. ANGELS, 5/02)

IP:llll4.33

H:lllll ) l(3 Home Runs, 2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:lllll  7

ER:ll 5

BB:llll1

SO:llll4

Pitches: l) 90  )(63 )Strikes, )27)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  3.76 )  40.67 IP  (17 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.352  )  40.67 IP  (55 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .270  )(44 for 163)

PITCHES BY INNING  

17  lll(13 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

23  lll(16 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

14  lll(10 l.Strikes, llllllBalls)

14  lll(10 l.Strikes, lllllllBalls)

22  lll(14 llStrikes, lllllllBalls) ) *

* )) Bundy recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

I was at the game tonight. 

Bundy's secondaries were working pretty good as always other than a couple hanging sliders, but the fastball velocity is a real concern.  He was sitting 88-91, topping out at 92 a couple times.  

It just sucks that a guy who came out of high school throwing in the high 90's, and hitting the mid-90's as recently as last year, has turned into a finesse pitcher this early in his career.  Finesse pitchers will have starts like this.  He will never be a # 1 unless that fastball velocity somehow returns. 

5 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I was at the game tonight. 

Bundy's secondaries were working pretty good as always other than a couple hanging sliders, but the fastball velocity is a real concern.  He was sitting 88-91, topping out at 92 a couple times.  

It just sucks that a guy who came out of high school throwing in the high 90's, and hitting the mid-90's as recently as last year, has turned into a finesse pitcher this early in his career.  Finesse pitchers will have starts like this.  He will never be a # 1 unless that fastball velocity somehow returns. 

These quotes from Buck are concerning.  Not Buck’s style to worry  

Manager Buck Showalter on whether he’s concerned about Bundy: “It’s always a concern when you know what a guy is capable of and he doesn’t do it that night. He’s working on an extra day’s rest. Sometimes the other team is pretty good, too. Dylan, I didn’t think he was quite as crisp as he’s capable of. 

“He’s elevating the ball. In those successful outings, he was driving the ball down and away. That’s still his bread and butter. He’s trying. He’ll figure it out, but you see a couple in a row like that from a good pitcher (and) you’re always concerned if it’s something else.”

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/05/dylan-bundy-allows-three-homers-as-angels-beat-the-os.html

A disappointing couple turns for the key to a re-tool.  The narrow path to 2019 relevance involves good Bundy becoming one of the Top 20 starters in the AL - if that happens, maybe Sisco and Mancini are okay Robins to his Batman, and Schoop can lead the crew next April before either a successful year or midseason trade.

But if Bundy crumples this year, the medium term outlook is a lot worse.  Mancini and Sisco aren't Batman, nor are any of the many perhaps average regulars we have coming.  If Bundy can't take the baton from Manny as the franchise player, then the new one is 2019's 1st round pick, and that has implications for Schoop and Gausman this July, as well as how to game the service time of Mountcastle, Mullins and Hays.

Archived