Sparse Crowd sees loss.

weams

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I moved from Baltimore to western NC back in 2014, so I haven't been around the city in a while.  What exactly is pushing our attendance numbers down?  I saw that ticket prices went back up.  Is there still a stigma from the 2014 riots that scares people away?  Last year's fall from grace effecting sales for this year?  The population is poorer year by year and becoming more frugal?  Nats stealing fans?  All of the above? What does it take to return to the glory years of attendance that we saw in the 90's.

12 minutes ago, section18 said:

I never heard a crowd count last night.  It was disappointing ! Paid crowd was a lot higher probably. My guess11,000 to 14,000 present.  Many were underneath eating anything hot trying to stay warm.

Announced paid attendance was 17,763.    Of course, actual attendance may have been much less.    Lousy night to be at a ballgame  

17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

So I moved from Baltimore to western NC back in 2014, so I haven't been around the city in a while.  What exactly is pushing our attendance numbers down?  I saw that ticket prices went back up.  Is there still a stigma from the 2014 riots that scares people away?  Last year's fall from grace effecting sales for this year?  The population is poorer year by year and becoming more frugal?  Nats stealing fans?  All of the above? What does it take to return to the glory years of attendance that we saw in the 90's.

Nats, anti-Baltimore sentiment.

Build a new stadium with iconic and unique elements that give an experience outside of the game state. Include DisneyWorld2 in the project.

And no prices were not raised, are very low. The opportunity to go inexpensively is second to no other franchise in the majors. Heck, kids can go free!

A World Series team would help.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Build a new stadium with iconic and unique elements that give an experience outside of the game state. Include DisneyWorld2 in the project.

And no prices were not raised, are very low. The opportunity to go inexpensively is second to no other franchise in the majors. Heck, kids can go free!

My bad.  I pulled that idea from an article that showed our Average ticket prices are towards the top of the league.  It must be bleacher seats that allow for affordable purchases.  

Are the ushers still nazis towards fans moving down to better seats as the game moves into the later innings?

7 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

My bad.  I pulled that idea from an article that showed our Average ticket prices are towards the top of the league.  It must be bleacher seats that allow for affordable purchases.  

Are the ushers still nazis towards fans moving down to better seats as the game moves into the later innings?

There are no bleachers. All the seat prices are affordable. I have never had an issue with an employee. Now, when you try to get on TV or sit with Cal? That might be another story.

I have seats right above home plate that cost ~20 dollars. Aisle. Five rows back from the rail so it is not in my view. Short row. Concrete behind me. 

The ushers in our section bring kids baseball cards from their own money. We tip them well. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

There are no bleachers. All the seat prices are affordable. I have never had an issue with an employee. Now, when you try to get on TV or sit with Cal? That might be another story.

I guess some folks consider the seats under the jumbotron as bleachers, but my friends tell me they are their favorite seats in the yard. I've enjoyed games from there. 2110 Eutaw Street They used to give you a tee shirt. 

39 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the two high-profile starting pitcher acquisitions were not well timed to boost season ticket sales.   The winter months are the prime time to sell ticket plans and during all that time it was Gausman, Bundy and three gaping question marks.    If those moves had happened in December, you’d have seen a lot more tickets sold.    I’m not criticizing the timing of those moves, which probably couldn’t have happened earlier than they did.    But that’s the consequence.   

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the two high-profile starting pitcher acquisitions were not well timed to boost season ticket sales.   The winter months are the prime time to sell ticket plans and during all that time it was Gausman, Bundy and three gaping question marks.    If those moves had happened in December, you’d have seen a lot more tickets sold.    I’m not criticizing the timing of those moves, which probably couldn’t have happened earlier than they did.    But that’s the consequence.   

But that is incremental. The Orioles don't draw well.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

But that is incremental. The Orioles don't draw well.

They’re not great but they don’t have to be awful either.   AL attendance rank:

2011 -  11th

2012 - 7th

2013 - 8th

2014 - 6th

2015 - 8th

2016 - 9th

2017 - 12th

I’ve posted about this numerous times, but the O’s were 5th in 2005, the first year the Nats were in DC, even though the Nats drew more fans that year than in any subsequent season.    So, I don’t feel that their attendance decline since then can be significantly blamed on the Nats.     

I think the slow offseason probably cost a couple hundred thousand tickets in season ticket plan sales.     Maybe they can make up some of it if the team stays in the race all year.    But attendance went down from 2015 to 2016 even though the ‘16 team was better and was in a playoff race that went down to the final day of the season.    

Archived