2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

15 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

His only chance is the BP... 4.91 ERA this spring that's as bad as last years crew. He's not MLB starter material JMHO.

Sign Cobb show me you really want to try and compete...

4.91 ERA is nowhere near as bad as last year’s crew (5.70 ERA overall and 6.61 excluding Bundy and Gausman).    Nor is it as bad as Wright has done in the past (5.86 career ERA).    Truth be told, if we could be guaranteed a 4.91 ERA from Wright this year, I’d sign for it in blood.    But I don’t think he’s capable of it against major league batters in an environment where he’s being asked to last 5-6 innings.     

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4.91 ERA is nowhere near as bad as last year’s crew (5.70 ERA overall and 6.61 excluding Bundy and Gausman).    Nor is it as bad as Wright has done in the past (5.86 career ERA).    Truth be told, if we could be guaranteed a 4.91 ERA from Wright this year, I’d sign for it in blood.    But I don’t think he’s capable of it against major league batters in an environment where he’s being asked to last 5-6 innings.     

All accounts I’ve read said he was ok through the first four. Of course, in the 5th he had the melt down so many people here are used to seeing. 

Yes, 5-6 IP vs ML hitters is asking too much. Too bad, I was pulling for him. They could try him in the BP.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

A 4.91 ERA is nowhere near as bad as was last years crew at=large (a 5.70 ERA overall, and a 6.61 excluding Bundy and Gausman.) Nor is it as bad as Wright has done in the past (he has a 5.86 career ERA.) Truth be told, if we could be guaranteed a 4.91 ERA from Wright this year, Id sign for it in blood. But I dont think that hes capable of it against Major League batters in an environment in which hes being asked to last 5-6 innings.     

55 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

By all accounts that Ive read, he appeared to be OK through the first four innings. Of course, he had the melt down in the 5th, so many people here are used to seeing. 

Yes, 5-6 IP vs ML hitters is asking too much. Too bad, I was pulling for him. They could try him in the BP.

o

If the Orioles sign Cobb, great.

If they don't, I'm going to suggest the proverbial "5 and-a-half man" rotation for about the 7,000th time.

Have the 5th starter be Wright, and be prepared to pull him after 3 or 4 innings (even if he is pitching fairly well.) Then have either Castro or Cortes ready to come in for at least 2 or 3 innings themselves. 

It essentially would be taking away a bullpen arm from the other 4 starers on days in which they pitched, but I think it might be worth it (they could be creative by using the Baltimore-to-Norfolk shuttle if they have to, and/or by having an extra pitcher and one less utility player for various periods of time.)

I don't think that it's happening, but that is something that I would strongly consider doing if I were the Orioles' manager.

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

If they don't, I'm going to suggest the proverbial "5 and-a-half man" rotation for about the 7,000th time.

Have the 5th starter be Wright, and be prepared to pull him after 3 or 4 innings (even if he is pitching fairly well.) Then have either Castro or Cortes ready to come in for at least 2 or 3 innings themselves. 

It essentially would be taking away a bullpen arm from the other 4 starers on days in which they pitched, but I think it might be worth it (they could be creative by using the Baltimore-to-Norfolk shuttle if they have to, and/or by having an extra pitcher and one less utility player for various periods of time.)

I don't think that it's happening, but that is something that I would strongly consider doing if I were the Orioles' manager.

o

I think its the only way Mike Wright survives as a SP, Buck won't do it, and Wright is going to get shelled, again it's JMHO. Love to be wrong about that, but my guess is he'll end up in the BP or a DFA.

10 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

I don't like this option at all especially when Tillman is likely getting shelled every fifth day.  

The bullpen will be burnt out by May and the Norfolk shuttle strategy never allows pitchers to get into a groove.  

11 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't like this option at all, especially when Tillman is likely getting shelled every fifth day.  

The bullpen will be burnt out by May, and the Norfolk shuttle strategy never allows pitchers to get into a groove.  

o

It's not my first choice. Acquiring Cobb is. And in your scenario/presumption, the bullpen would get burned out either way because you are assuming that both Tillman and Wright will get shelled every 5th day. My suggestion is an attempt to be creative to try to avoid that burnout (which is what happened with last year's bullpen), while simultaneously severely curbing the pressure on Wright to go more than 2 times through the lineup.

Also, even if we do acquire Cobb, I still like the idea of the 5 and-a-half man rotation with the 5th starter. With Cobb, that experiment is much more likely to succeed than without Cobb, and the demands on the bullpen will be considerably less than if we are putting Tillman and/or Wright and/or Castro in the 5-hole than in the 4-hole.

Currently, the Orioles have 2 Wildcards in the rotation after Bundy, Gausman, and Cashner, and that is one too many for me.

o

3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

It's not my first choice. Acquiring Cobb is. And in your scenario/presumption, the bullpen would get burned out either way because you are assuming that both Tillman and Wright will get shelled. My suggestion is an attempt to be creative to try to avoid that (which is what happened with last year's bullpen.)

Also, even if we do acquire Cobb, I still like the idea of the 5 and-a-half man rotation with the 5th starter. With Cobb, that experiment is much more likely to succeed than without Cobb, and the demands on the bullpen will be considerably less than if we are putting Tillman and/or Wright and/or Castro in the 5-hole than in the 4-hole.

Currently, the Orioles have 2 Wildcards in the rotation after Bundy, Gausman, and Cashner, and that is one too many for me.

o

I agree, get Cobb and I'll gladly throw and see what sticks at the fifth spot in the rotation.  2 wildcards in the rotation = no chance at playoffs.  

o

And now that I think about it,, I believe that the organization owes it to Chris Tillman to acquire Cobb more than anything.

Tillman has been a solid starter in the rotation more often than not between 2012 and 2017. In fact, he has been the one constant in the starting rotation since that magical 2012 season ........ Wei-Yin Chen, Tommy Hunter, Jason Hammil, Jake Arrieta, Miguel Gonzalez, Bud Norris, Scott Feldman, Ubaldo Jimenez, Yovani Gallardo, and Wade Miley have all come and gone, while Tillman has withstood the ups and downs in the 6 seasons that have been played in that time frame. I think that the Orioles owe it to him to put the least amount of pressure on him in his latest effort to resurrect his career after last season's disaster. 

Yes, Peter and Dan gave him $3 Million for the upcoming season, which is probably two and-a-half Million dollars more than any one of the other 29 Major League teams would have been willing to give him. Now do him one more favor, and sign Alex Cobb to allow him to toe the rubber in this upcoming season with the knowledge that there are at least 4 solid starters ahead of him in the rotation.

If my logic on the matter sounds rather twisted, remember that I am an Oriole fan from New York, which in and of itself is rather strange in the first place.

o

On 3/18/2018 at 11:56 PM, OFFNY said:

o

And now that I think about it,, I believe that the organization owes it to Chris Tillman to acquire Cobb more than anything.

Tillman has been a solid starter in the rotation more often than not between 2012 and 2017. In fact, he has been the one constant in the starting rotation since that magical 2012 season ........ Wei-Yin Chen, Tommy Hunter, Jason Hammil, Jake Arrieta, Miguel Gonzalez, Bud Norris, Scott Feldman, Ubaldo Jimenez, Yovani Gallardo, and Wade Miley have all come and gone, while Tillman has withstood the ups and downs in the 6 seasons that have been played in that time frame. I think that the Orioles owe it to him to put the least amount of pressure on him in his latest effort to resurrect his career after last season's disaster. 

Yes, Peter and Dan gave him $3 Million for the upcoming season, which is probably two and-a-half Million dollars more than any one of the other 29 Major League teams would have been willing to give him. Now do him one more favor, and sign Alex Cobb to allow him to toe the rubber in this upcoming season with the knowledge that there are at least 4 solid starters ahead of him in the rotation.

If my logic on the matter sounds rather twisted, remember that I am an Oriole fan from New York, which in and of itself is rather strange in the first place.

o

o

Done.

o

I've seen all I've need to see from Wright.  The guy just doesn't have it between the ears, at least in terms of handling his emotions and performing under pressure.  He reminds me of Brad Pennington in that regard.  Cut him loose and wish him well, just hope he doesn't do THAT well and turn into the next Arrieta.

Archived