2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think he COULD be a very good relief pitcher.   I just have the feeling he'll wind up in some sort of trade and become some other team's dominant reliever.   I don't think Buck really cares for him because of his attitude. 

Wright could be a good relief pitcher except he loses his composure at the first sign of trouble.  Not exactly a good trait to have for a relief pitcher.  

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of many times in recent years where you have to wonder. ...Which is it?  Is the coaching (or lack thereof) holding back his development, or do we only know his name because we have such a lack of pitching we are putting high expectations on a low-ceiling prospect other teams wouldn't value outside of late long relief help when injuries pile up?

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

That's not nice.

Enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I honestly think there is a systematic issue with our pitching development and until that issue is addressed (Is it the lack of money spent on scouting, choosing the wrong personnel, Buck's wild fascination with time to the plate, converging opinions between DD and Buck, the Orioles hatred of certain pitches), I don't believe it is fair to criticize these guys so much. It makes it hard to evaluate them.

It is not an accident that so many pitchers go elsewhere and succeed IMO.

I agree with you  88.

12 minutes ago, theobird said:

I still see Mike Wright as a legit option. I know that I am almost alone on this. But I also remember Tillman repeatedly failing until he finally figured it out.

Tillman was never as bad as Wright has been.

Tillman, like many others, Schilling for example, didn't really have success until his 4th season as a SP.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

That's not nice.

Enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I honestly think there is a systematic issue with our pitching development and until that issue is addressed (Is it the lack of money spent on scouting, choosing the wrong personnel, Buck's wild fascination with time to the plate, converging opinions between DD and Buck, the Orioles hatred of certain pitches), I don't believe it is fair to criticize these guys so much. It makes it hard to evaluate them.

It is not an accident that so many pitchers go elsewhere and succeed IMO.

Is it “so many,” compared to other teams?   It probably is more than most, but I can’t say I’ve studied it. Guthrie, Lopez and Gonzalez all did well here after struggling elsewhere, so it’s not a one-way street.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is it “so many,” compared to other teams?   It probably is more than most, but I can’t say I’ve studied it. Guthrie, Lopez and Gonzalez all did well here after struggling elsewhere, so it’s not a one-way street.

This is exactly my point.  Every team has trouble developing pitching, even the ones that are "good" at it.  Why?

Baseball is hard.  Pitching is hard and causes tremendous wear and tear on the shoulder and elbow joints.  Hitting is just plain hard.  And, fielding isn't much easier.  The fans for every team complain when a prospect fails to develop.  It's not just the Orioles.

Occasionally Wright shows a good changeup and he has legit velocity, but no control when he throws it hard. I think he has a problem repeating his windup like so many O's pitcher's in our system. Maybe they should try as simple as possible and start from there I guess. 

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

A pitcher can adjust his mechanics, develop a new pitch, but he can't get a new head. Wright's a head case.

How many times did we hear that about Arrieta?   I agree Wright’s been a bit of a head case, but sometimes guys get it together.  

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I can't find one single thing to like about Mike Wright the pitcher. I just don't get it.

I think he will be a fine MLB pitcher. Maybe this season.  It's all in his head. And that can get fixed. The arm, body, and mechanics are all good. 

Archived