Is it time to bring in a "Davis Whisperer"?

FanSince88

Given his struggles for over a year and the enormous, untradeable contract that he's got for five more seasons, would it make sense for the team to bring in a special hitting consultant to work one on one with Chris Davis?  Has anything similar been done in the MLB for a struggling slugger?  I've heard in the NFL they sometimes bring in special QB consultants to help struggling franchise QBs.  

I honestly don't care if Davis turns into a singles hitter at this point, as long as he stops being a liability for the team.  He needs to offer some sort of positive value to make his contract anything short of a disaster.  If that means a .350 OBP with a .410 SLG, I'll take it.  Just hope someone in the Orioles staff can figure out a way for him to offer something useful.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is exactly why I would never be able to be a baseball team owner. I would insist on contracts that allow me to fire the player without owing them for the remaining seasons, or otherwise make the contracts entirely based on player performance.

And in the current regime with the insanely powerful MLBPA I would get exactly zero players.

I hate the MLBPA. Why do millionaires need a union?

6 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

This is exactly why I would never be able to be a baseball team owner. I would insist on contracts that allow me to fire the player without owing them for the remaining seasons, or otherwise make the contracts entirely based on player performance.

And in the current regime with the insanely powerful MLBPA I would get exactly zero players.

I hate the MLBPA. Why do millionaires need a union?

To protect themselves against billionaires - some of whose business practices make the players look saintly in comparison.

Gee's we really need Davis to produce, but my gut says this is this headed to worst then a Ryan Howard ending.

I think the O's are going to be paying for Davis golfing or the lowest production on offense 1st basemen in MLB before this contract is over.

Davis is the biggest reason I am feeling more pessimistic about the season than I was a week ago.

I know it's only six games but he looks utterly lost at the plate. I was hoping for a slight bounceback. I've rarely had less confidence in a player when he comes to bat.

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

Given his struggles for over a year and the enormous, untradeable contract that he's got for five more seasons, would it make sense for the team to bring in a special hitting consultant to work one on one with Chris Davis?  Has anything similar been done in the MLB for a struggling slugger?  I've heard in the NFL they sometimes bring in special QB consultants to help struggling franchise QBs.  

I honestly don't care if Davis turns into a singles hitter at this point, as long as he stops being a liability for the team.  He needs to offer some sort of positive value to make his contract anything short of a disaster.  If that means a .350 OBP with a .410 SLG, I'll take it.  Just hope someone in the Orioles staff can figure out a way for him to offer something useful.  

Maybe it's time to move CD to the 9th spot in the batting order. 

Archived