David Hess 2018

Rene88

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Its hard to tell how good he is or isn't because he's faced some pretty toothless lineups and got rocked when he didn't....but Ill say this. Its a hell of a lot  better than Tillman who gave us no chance to win. If he turns out to be an even serviceable #5 it would be one of the very few bright spots of this miserable season...and gives us some hope for 2019 to be a .500 club...

This.  If our entire group of position players (with the exception of Manny) doesn't underperform in 2019, then I like our chances of being at least decent with a staff of Bundy-Gausman-Cobb-Cashner-Hess then Hader as the next guy up.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Was Brach a closer yesterday?  The day before?   The 8 times before that when he was called on to get the save?

The issue was pitching him three days in a row.   Very stupid.   And then leaving him in when he clearly was struggling.  It’s on Buck, not Brach.

As to Hess (the real subject of this thread), great to see him throw another good ballgame.     

I wasn’t aware he pitched 3 days in a row Frobby: been watching the Caps and Nats much more this year. My bad. Yes, if true, that’s moronic and all on Buck.

I truly believe we have seen the end of Buck in Baltimore.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Its hard to tell how good he is or isn't because he's faced some pretty toothless lineups and got rocked when he didn't....but Ill say this. Its a hell of a lot  better than Tillman who gave us no chance to win. If he turns out to be an even serviceable #5 it would be one of the very few bright spots of this miserable season...and gives us some hope for 2019 to be a .500 club...

Hess always gave a good attempt every time I saw him in the minors. Which was often. 

51 minutes ago, weams said:

Hess always gave a good attempt every time I saw him in the minors. Which was often. 

That’s pretty much all you can ask for from a 4th/5th SP. I haven’t watched much. Does anyone have an orioles comp for him from the last 20 years?  Who does he remind people of?

7 minutes ago, Natty said:

Hess has the lowest ERA of any of our starters.

Lowest strikeout rate and a FIP of 5.5. I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but the results are unlikely to remain this good. I'm rooting hard for the guy, but we're looking at a really small sample size (and that cuts both ways for the positives (his ERA) and the negatives (FIP, SO's). I hope he strikes out more hitters in the very near future. 

8 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This.  If our entire group of position players (with the exception of Manny) doesn't underperform in 2019, then I like our chances of being at least decent with a staff of Bundy-Gausman-Cobb-Cashner-Hess then Hader as the next guy up.

We traded Hader some time ago...

7 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I wasn’t aware he pitched 3 days in a row Frobby: been watching the Caps and Nats much more this year. My bad. Yes, if true, that’s moronic and all on Buck.

I truly believe we have seen the end of Buck in Baltimore.

Yeah, but still... Brach's not a closer. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s pretty much all you can ask for from a 4th/5th SP. I haven’t watched much. Does anyone have an orioles comp for him from the last 20 years?  Who does he remind people of?

Difficult to say who he reminds me of.    He’s listed on BB-ref as 6’2” but I’m not sure he’s even 6 feet.    I’m tempted to say he reminds me of Tyler Wilson, but with more zip on his fastball.

17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Hess had a rude awakening from the very first batter that he faced tonight when Curtis Granderson homered, then he kept the Blue Jays off of the scoreboard for the remainder of his outing (with some help from Mychal Antonio Givens.)

Hess was also the beneficiary of a Strike 'Em Out/Throw 'Em Out Double Play in the 4th inning.

18 OUTS: ) 6 Flyouts, 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing

DAVIJAMES "D.J." HESS )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/07)

IP:ll6 - PLUS

H:lll 5 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:llll 1

BB:ll2

SO:ll4

Pitches: )l 105(69 )Strikes, )36 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 3.07  ) 29.33 IP  (10 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.193  )  29.33 IP  (35 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .245 )  (27 for 110)

PITCHES BY INNING

26 l(17 lStrikes, lll91 llBalls)

15 ll(11 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

81 ll(71 llStrikes, lll11 llBalls)

20 ll(91 llStrikes, ll11 lllBalls)

12 ll(91 llStrikes, lll31 llBalls)

12 ll(81 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

61 ll(41 llStrikes, lll21 llBalls) ) *

* )) Hess did not record any outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

o

The Rookie Battery Created a Mostly Feel-Good Night for the Orioles

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/06/the-rookie-battery-created-a-mostly-feel-good-night-for-the-orioles.html

o

o

5 free passes (4 Walks and 1 Hit Batsman) over 3.33 Innings Pitched.

10 OUTS: ) 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Foulout

DAVIJAMES "D.J." HESS )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 6/12)

IP:ll3.33

H:lll 5 )) (2 Home Runs, 3 Singles)

R:llll 5

BB:ll4 ) *

SO:ll2

Pitches: )l 73(39 )Strikes, )34 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.13  ) 32.67 IP  (15 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.347  )  32.67 IP  (44 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .256  )  (32 for 125)

* )) Hess also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

14 ll(81 llStrikes, lll61 llBalls)

20 lll(81 llStrikes, l12 llllBalls)

16 lll(91 llStrikes, lll71 llBalls)

23 ll(14 lllStrikes, lll91 llBalls) ) **

** )) Hess recorded 1 out before departing in the 4th inning.

o

Archived