Ryan McKenna 2018

Luke-OH

8 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

So why is this guy not at AA? 

My guess is they want to give him the honor of playing in the Carolina League all-star game (held June 19) and then they’ll promote him.   

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

My guess is they want to give him the honor of playing in the Carolina League all-star game (held June 19) and then they’ll promote him.   

I agree with this.   That should get him promoted this afternoon.

53 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Vlad Jr. - 19 years old in AA with wRC+ of 208

McKenna - 21 years old in A+ with wRC+ 173

Vlad may be a generational talent at the plate.  McKenna may be a good MLB outfielder.

Yep.

57 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Vlad Jr. - 19 years old in AA with wRC+ of 208

McKenna - 21 years old in A+ with wRC+ 173

Vlad may be a generational talent at the plate.  McKenna may be a good MLB outfielder.

That’s fine.    What McKenna’s doing is still impressive.   Of the 14 qualified hitters in the Carolina League hitting over .300, he’s the third youngest.    The other two are Juan Soto (now in the majors at 19) and Andretty Cordero (who’s about two months younger than McKenna).   

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And that's what I'd do.  There's no hurry with him, and this will be his first professional honor like this, because he wasn't considered much of a prospect a year ago.  

Otoh, if he can't even hit better than Vlad Jr, forget about him.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s fine.    What McKenna’s doing is still impressive.   Of the 14 qualified hitters in the Carolina League hitting over .300, he’s the third youngest.    The other two are Juan Soto (now in the majors at 19) and Andretty Cordero (who’s about two months younger than McKenna).   

Not trying to badtalk Ryan McKenna.  But comparing him to Vlad Jr. is similar to the post where Mullins was compared to Mookie Betts.  If Ryan McKenna and Cedric Mullins can be average+ major league outfielders, I will be thrilled.  But, it's not fair to either McKenna or Mullins to compare them to or imply that they're as good as prospects like Guerrero or players like Betts (or Wilson :-).

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Not trying to badtalk Ryan McKenna.  But comparing him to Vlad Jr. is similar to the post where Mullins was compared to Mookie Betts.  If Ryan McKenna and Cedric Mullins can be average+ major league outfielders, I will be thrilled.  But, it's not fair to either McKenna or Mullins to compare them to or imply that they're as good as prospects like Guerrero or players like Betts (or Wilson :-).

Oh, I don’t disagree.    Just didn’t want anyone getting the impression from the Vlad Jr. comparison that McKenna at 21 is old for the Carolina League.    To the contrary, he’s pretty young for that league.   Vlad Jr.’s just ridiculously young in AA, doing what he’s doing.    I hate that the Blue Jays have him, but I’m still looking forward to seeing what he does when he reaches the majors.  

18 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

McKenna is the "Orioles Minor League Position Player of the Month" for May.

Geoff Arnold 
Jun 4 at 2:04 PM

Frederick Keys News Release

For Immediate Release: June 4, 2018

MCKENNA NAMED ORIOLES MINOR LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE MONTH

KEYS OUTFIELDER AMONG TOP MILB HITTERS IN MAY

FREDERICK, MD-On Monday afternoon, the Baltimore Orioles announced that Frederick Keys outfielder, Ryan McKenna, has been named the organization’s Player of the Month for May. He becomes the first Keys player to receive a monthly honor during the 2018 campaign.

In 28 May contests, McKenna, 28, slashed .397/.470/.586 to go with a 1.056 OPS. He posted three homers, 22 RBIs, one triple, 11 doubles and 27 runs scored. The .397 batting average was fourth-best in the MiLB in May and the top figure in Advanced-A baseball. The 27 runs scored were also best at the Advanced-A level.  

The Maine native also hit safely in 12 games from May 11-24. During this time, he batted .463 to go with two home runs, six doubles and 14 RBIs to go with a .500 on-base percentage. The streak is tied for fourth-longest in the Carolina League this year.

McKenna enters Monday batting .365/.448/.519 to go with a .967 OPS. Tallying 76 hits, he has five home runs, one triple, 15 doubles, 30 RBIs and 46 runs scored. The Keys leadoff man paces the Carolina League in batting average, hits, on-base percentage, runs scored and OPS. He ranks second in doubles, slugging percentage and total bases.

In his first Carolina League season, McKenna was selected by the Orioles in the fourth round of the 2015 Draft out of St. Thomas Aquinas (NH) High School. He was committed to play at Liberty University before signing with Baltimore. 

Since it's draft day, there's some great OF drafting by the O's in 2015 and 2016 - McKenna in the 4th round and Mullins in the 13 round of 2015 and Hays in the 3rd round of 2016.  But... very little as far as international products.

The Braves have had among the highest few rated system for several years, and they haven't done any better drafting OFers.  They have just one OF draftee who's excelling - Drew Waters - who they picked in the 2nd round last year.  But they've heavily augmented with international prospects - Acuna's a phenom, and they also have a good one in 19 year old Christian Pache.  So, the Braves can draft poorly and still come out ahead of the O's, because the O's don't use all the resources available.  

Same with the Nationals - with Juan Soto and Victor Robles as their 2 best prospects.  The folks running the O's draft and player development might be the best in the business, but it's probably not enough to build a great farm system.  

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hate that the Blue Jays have him, but I’m still looking forward to seeing what he does when he reaches the majors.  

The first pitch thrown to him will bounce 3 feet in front of home plate, he will swing at it ,and, unlike Trey Mancini, hit a double off the wall.

26 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The first pitch thrown to him will bounce 3 feet in front of home plate, he will swing at it ,and, unlike Trey Mancini, hit a double off the wall.

He’s reportedly way more selective than his father.   

Archived