Roch: Dan Duquette - Cavalry is not coming.

weams

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He said what any GM would say.   

Some GMs acknowledge openly to their fanbase that their team needs to rebuild and that the season will be geared primarily towards building for the comeback of the future.   We don't, but some do.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Some GMs acknowledge openly to their fanbase that their team needs to rebuild and that the season will be geared primarily towards building for the comeback of the future.   We don't, but some do.  

Nobody does that in April when they were trying to compete before the season started.    You don’t tell the players “we’ve given up, have fun playing out the string for the next 5+ months.”    Even if everyone understands that’s probably the reality.    

And I don’t think casual fans are dumb and are going to buy tickets because Dan says it’s too early to decide what to do.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nobody does that in April when they were trying to compete before the season started.    You don’t tell the players “we’ve given up, have fun playing out the string for the next 5+ months.”    Even if everyone understands that’s probably the reality.    

And I don’t think casual fans are dumb and are going to buy tickets because Dan says it’s too early to decide what to do.

One would think this is self evident, and common sense.

I think  there is a cavalry but it coming from the DL and minors.

Schoop returns as a middle of the order hitter and moves Sardinas to be DFA'd, and Peterson into a platoon with Valencia  at 3B.  Very few righties for Valencia after that.   We may even see Peterson in the OF some if he hits lefties.    These are significant changes.

Trumbo's return means Pedro sees no more lefties.   Trumbo probably plays some 1B depending on matchups.   He could show up in right field which I don't think helps matters much.

The team looks like it is set in the rotation for the next 2 years with the starters 5 plus Harvey.   When was the last time we could say that.

Britton in going out of a rehab in May.  He should be ready to join the team on the 28th.    He should make a huge difference.   Putting Brach, O'Day and Givens in spots they are more comfort with.

Santander probably in optioned on the 12th and maybe Rickard actually comes up and plays regularly in right and leads off. Or may its just Rasmus returning.

To me these moves by themselves can effect the offense, defense and pitching.  What more can you ask from a Cavalry?

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think  there is a cavalry but it coming from the DL and minors.

Schoop returns as a middle of the order hitter and moves Sardinas to be DFA'd, and Peterson into a platoon with Valencia  at 3B.  Very few righties for Valencia after that.   We may even see Peterson in the OF some if he hits lefties.    These are significant changes.

Trumbo's return means Pedro sees no more lefties.   Trumbo probably plays some 1B depending on matchups.   He could show up in right field which I don't think helps matters much.

The team looks like it is set in the rotation for the next 2 years with the starters 5 plus Harvey.   When was the last time we could say that.

Britton in going out of a rehab in May.  He should be ready to join the team on the 28th.    He should make a huge difference.   Putting Brach, O'Day and Givens in spots they are more comfort with.

Santander probably in optioned on the 12th and maybe Rickard actually comes up and plays regularly in right and leads off. Or may its just Rasmus returning.

To me these moves by themselves can effect the offense, defense and pitching.  What more can you ask from a Cavalry?

A better Duke. 

Related image

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are right. Except for the Cubs and Astros who both said "give us five years"

Just now, weams said:

You are right. Except for the Cubs and Astros who both said "give us five years"

Honestly, both those teams were bad for a couple years before they started rebuilding.    They weren’t bad on purpose at first.    It only took three bad seasons after Theo arrived for the Cubs to get good.   Ditto the Astros with Luhnow.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The casual fan likes a good comeback fantasy.  Casual fans will likely not consider the season lost in April or May and will likely agree with Dan that we could go on a house on fire streak when our players return.  And we probably will win some more games in May than we did in April.   I agree with you that the primary distorted communication was all winter " all in for 2018", rather than, " rebuild to win in  2019 and beyond". 

8 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Think he meant Rickard? Rickard > Gentry's .425 OPS. Who else? I don't think he was talking about a pitcher. DJ Stewart is off to a slow start. The 3B are not wizards with the glove, right? The AAA remark was interesting...and a little confusing. 

Rickard it is. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

The casual fan likes a good comeback fantasy.  Casual fans will likely not consider the season lost in April or May and will likely agree with Dan that we could go on a house on fire streak when our players return.  And we probably will win some more games in May than we did in April.   I agree with you that the primary distorted communication was all winter " all in for 2018", rather than, " rebuild to win in  2019 and beyond". 

People can't come to grips with Manny being gone. Any more than Mariners could about A-Rod.

Archived