Nico Hoerner - Upside target at #37

Do me a favor and take a look at that swing in slow motion. Above average to plus bat speed, but very little torque. There are a couple of relatively easy tweaks to get more power out of this swing.

First, look at the bat position during the load. It's almost straight up and down. He could get more whip through the zone with a deeper load and the knob angled back towards the catcher.

Second, watch how his hips open with the swing, there is no lag. That lag is what generates power. Hays had a similar lower body action pre-draft and the Orioles were able to add a lag and tap into Hays's power.

He might end up at 2B but he'll stay in the middle of an infield. He's more of a second round prospect for most, but I think if you think you can get more pop out of his swing, he has legit upside at #37.

45 minutes ago, oceanicvoyage said:

Do you like him better than Jeremy Eierman? It seems like his stock is falling (based on recent rankings and mocks) and might be available at 37.

After watching more Eierman video, I do, Hoerner has a slightly less chance to stick at SS than Eierman. Eierman probably is a 3B if he moves off while Hoerner is probably a 2B.

Hoerner is producing better given his much tougher conference, has quicker hands and a better hit tool. Eierman has more present power but he really sells out to get to it. I could see Hoerner with a couple small tweaks having similar game power. 

Hoerner gives me a Kingery-lite vibe.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

After watching more Eierman video, I do, Hoerner has a slightly less chance to stick at SS than Eierman. Eierman probably is a 3B if he moves off while Hoerner is probably a 2B.

Hoerner is producing better given his much tougher conference, has quicker hands and a better hit tool. Eierman has more present power but he really sells out to get to it. I could see Hoerner with a couple small tweaks having similar game power. 

Hoerner gives me a Kingery-lite vibe.

FWIW, Keith Law also liked Hoerner better than Eierman in his top 50 rankings 2 weeks ago.

25 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

FWIW, Keith Law also liked Hoerner better than Eierman in his top 50 rankings 2 weeks ago.

That’s interesting to hear, it’s always good to hear I’m not on an island on these assessments.

Archived