TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Parker Bridwell has been bad at every level so far this year.

And it's a stretch to use the word "success" when describing Oliver Drake's performance post-Orioles. He was bad here and deserved to be dfa'd based on his poor performance and weak "stuff." He's still bad. He'll be out of MLB soon.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Can't we just make Matt Klentack the team president once the season is over and let him decide everything else?

Depends, what are you willing to trade to the Phillies for him?

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Including us — we’re paying him 4/$31 mm.   I’m sure O’Day would have jumped ship at 4/$41 mm.

Miller got 4/$36 mm so it’s not really accurate to say O’Day got the same contract as Miller.   Plus, Miller turned down 4/$40 mm from the Astros, so there’s no saying Miller would have stayed with the O’s if they’d matched the Yankees.

Are we really quibbling over $8m/year vs. $9m/year?  They're pretty damn close.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Including us — we’re paying him 4/$31 mm.   I’m sure O’Day would have jumped ship at 4/$41 mm.

Miller got 4/$36 mm so it’s not really accurate to say O’Day got the same contract as Miller.   Plus, Miller turned down 4/$40 mm from the Astros, so there’s no saying Miller would have stayed with the O’s if they’d matched the Yankees.

Was a typo. 31MM, of course, sure, sure...

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Then why didn’t they?

Maybe teams did make comparable offers to O'Day. Maybe he wanted to stay in Baltimore. Or stay with Buck. Maybe he believed the organization had a chance of winning a WS. Just a bunch of speculation. Considering he spent only six weeks on the free agent market, I think he may have already made up his mind where he wanted to sign and that his agent was exercising due diligence, attempting to get the most he could for his client out of the Orioles.

If you are suggesting that other teams were not interested in signing him as a free agent in 2015, I think you are "mis-remembering."

14 hours ago, atomic said:

To me it seems a clean slate is in order.  If Brady wants to be strength and conditioning coach that is fine.  But he shouldn't have any other role.  He has made a lot of bad decisions and is loyal to guys with no talent like Wright and Reimold.  I think Buck is very over rated and is not the sharpest tool in the shed.  His handling of Kim was ridiculously bad and the playoff blunder would cause most managers to get fired.  His playing first basemen in the outfield and I believe he was responsible for Arrieta being traded,.  Enough.

DD has lost the trust of ownership so he should go as well.  Hire a new GM and let him pick his manager and assistant.  

If we don't make Brady the GM we should thank him for his service and let him go. If we keep him around in a lesser role I have a feeling we'll be having this same conversation again in a few years. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, Finisher said:

Tillman was Buck and Brady. O'Day was Buck and Brady. Happy now?

Much.  I just believe that when you are presenting evidence and making a conclusion, the conclusion should match the evidence.  Now there are three pieces that say its both Buck and Brady.

On 5/9/2018 at 2:15 PM, Tony-OH said:

A lot of this you will know if you have been following along here at the Hangout and in other places, but hopefully this can put it out there for all to be able to reference.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/05/09/orioles-game-of-thrones-and-the-way-forward/

Hope you enjoy the piece.

Great article Tony.....I think the job is already Brady's . I'm not certain if he can handle the role and distribution of the roles.

im not sure ownership will allow the team to be ran properly and this is a problem that dates back to the 90s.

I'd like to know what "genius" decided we should not enter into long-term contract negotiations with Manny for the last 2+ years?  Where were Buck and Brady on this while they're busy trying to lock-up Davis and Trumbo?  I find it hard to believe that any of the baseball professionals agreed with this approach.  No one's talking.  It's like sleight-of-hand, pay no attention to the lack of talks, switch the conversation to how we can no longer afford to keep him.  Put it all on Manny.  My assumption is this goes back to ownership. 

22 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I'd like to know what "genius" decided we should not enter into long-term contract negotiations with Manny for the last 2+ years?  

The genius you refer to is Dan Lozano, Manny's agent who  has probably been asking for 400M to have Manny not go through free agency.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The genius you refer to is Dan Lozano, Manny's agent who  has probably been asking for 400M to have Manny not go through free agency.

He wasn't asking for that 2-3 years ago.  As with Mussina, the Orioles kicked it down the road, and watched the price go up.

Archived