TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So why didn't they trade for him?  You think it would have cost a lot to obtain him?  Seems to me they picked up an equivalent player off the waiver wire.

Guys you can replace off the waiver wire are by definition, replaceable. Not valuable. 

Guys that are valuable are cheap, young toolsy folks with upside. Someone you can grow into. And by young, I don't mean 26. Or even 25. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The numbers say Mancini is a poor defensive LF, so this is a case of you overrating him, not everyone else underrating him.   He’s pretty sure handed but he’s slow and doesn’t get a great jump on the ball.

As to the pitchers in Delmarva, I’m somewhat optimistic, but we’ll see.   Delmarva is a long way from the majors.    Just look at how dominant Alex Wells was at Delmarva, compared to how average he’s been at Frederick.   

I don't trust the defensive numbers.  I think they get an impression on someone and they mark him accordingly.  They did it to Nick and Jones when he was younger.  What I see when I watch Mancini is a guy who catches most  everything he get to.  He covers ground well.  He is not swift like Mullins but he get to a lot of balls.  He dives and catches some.  His throwing has improved greatly this year over last year.   

I would rate him average and when I consider his offense he is a darn good player.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Do you honestly think that was because of Joseph?

I don't honestly. Would cobb have been better with Sisco or Pena or Susac or Wynns catching? I don't know.  And I am the king of hyperbole. I did follow that up with "Tony likes him and I respect that."

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't honestly. Would cobb have been better with Sisco or Pena or Susac or Wynns catching? I don't know.  And I am the king of hyperbole. I did follow that up with "Tony likes him and I respect that."

I understand that, but when you say things like look which game we won, that seems to indicate that the Orioles would have won with someone else other than Joseph in a game that they lost 10-3. So basically you are saying the team would be 8 runs better with another catcher. 

I like Joseph as much as anyone, but he is off to a slow start this year. He probably is a backup catcher on a good team, but I don't agree with people who say he's not a big league catcher.

BTW, over his last 12 games Jospeh is slashing .286/.306/.486/.791.

Sisco is slashing .206/.289/.441/.731 over his last 12, so let's not act like Sisco is killing it behind the plate an Joseph is an automatic out.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Flaherty isn't a premium defender.

As for why they would trade him?  Because they had already signed Jose Bautista to play third.

Pretty stupid move by the Braves.   So Flaherty is a .222 career hitter who is so far this season hitting over .300.    The Braves go get Bautista who he is not hitting.   Probably will not hit. He is over.   And most every game he starts Flaherty replaces him defensively.    Flaherty is a better defender than Bautista.  The Braves didn't want to wait for Flaherty's hitting to drop off so they made a move.  So far it is not working.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Pretty stupid move by the Braves.   So Flaherty is a .222 career hitter who is so far this season hitting over .300.    The Braves go get Bautista who he is not hitting.   Probably will not hit. He is over.   And most every game he starts Flaherty replaces him defensively.    Flaherty is a better defender than Bautista.  The Braves didn't want to wait for Flaherty's hitting to drop off so they made a move.  So far it is not working.

Didn't Bautista hit a big HR recently?

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't trust the defensive numbers.  I think they get an impression on someone and they mark him accordingly.  They did it to Nick and Jones when he was younger.  What I see when I watch Mancini is a guy who catches most  everything he get to.  He covers ground well.  He is not swift like Mullins but he get to a lot of balls.  He dives and catches some.  His throwing has improved greatly this year over last year.   

I would rate him average and when I consider his offense he is a darn good player.

So numbers are subjective?

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He's slow and his routes and jumps are both poor.

He's not good out there. 

16 minutes ago, POR said:

So numbers are subjective?

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only when they disagree with your worldview.

Defensive numbers are based on small samples so they take longer to stabilize than offensive  numbers.     But in this case, my eyes agree with what the defensive  numbers are telling me.   To say he covers ground well simply isn’t accurate.   Of 41 left fielders who have played at least 100 innings in LF, Mancini rates 39th in range rate.   Honestly, I don’t think he’s that bad, but he has below average range, for sure.    

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't Bautista hit a big HR recently?

The Braves beat the Marlin 10-5.  Bautista hit a sole homer in the 6th.  How big could it have been?  It was not a walk off  homer.  He is hitter 167 with a OPS in the 600s.      There is talk of  platooning Bautista with Flaherty and of course Falhery would be 3 times the at bats as the lefty handed batter.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/will-ryan-flaherty-platoon-with-jose-bautista/c-276299080

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Defensive numbers are based on small samples so they take longer to stabilize than offensive  numbers.     But in this case, my eyes agree with what the defensive  numbers are telling me.   To say he covers ground well simply isn’t accurate.   Of 41 left fielders who have played at least 100 innings in LF, Mancini rates 39th in range rate.   Honestly, I don’t think he’s that bad, but he has below average range, for sure.    

That is not what I see.

Just now, wildcard said:

The Braves beat the Marlin 10-5.  Bautista hit a sole homer in the 6th.  How big could it have been?  It was not a walk off  homer.  He is hitter 167 with a OPS in the 600s.      There is talk of  platooning Bautista with Flaherty and of course Falhery would be 3 times the at bats as the lefty handed batter.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/will-ryan-flaherty-platoon-with-jose-bautista/c-276299080

OK, it wasn't a big one.

And for the record I wouldn't have signed Bautista or put him at third base.

But it does show how unimpressed they are with Flaherty despite the hot start.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, it wasn't a big one.

And for the record I wouldn't have signed Bautista or put him at third base.

But it does show how unimpressed they are with Flaherty despite the hot start.

Everyone is waiting for the Braves to fall in the standing including the Braves.   They don't believe that the Flaherty can out play his career numbers.   If they make other moves like that they will certainly make what everyone is waiting for happen.   if something is working for you ride it for as long as it lasts.

Oh, by the way,  Don't be surprised if Flaherty is back with the O's next year.   Not signing Flaherty looks like Dan trying to safe Buck from himself.   if Dan goes and Buck gets more control over personnel decisions, Flaherty could be back no matter how he hits in Atlanta.

Archived