Nationals trade embargo

Just Regular

It's too bad this is a thing.  With the health statuses of Robles, Eaton and Murphy all trending dicier than management intended in Bryce's walk year, there's all kinds of puzzle piece fits if the clubs could work together.  It'd take Mr. Angelos and Mr. Lerner on the phone, but if Peter could just be persuaded to ask "Do you want Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Givens, Bleier and Britton for Robles and Soto?", it could be fun to see what happens next.  Second line of the script is we'll pay those salaries too if you give us Kieboom.

For the Nats, Turner pops back out to CF and Murphy can rest his knee at 1B when Adams cools off.  Zim still has his LF glove, right.

At the very least, the Nationals are like the Indians - a team that is as good as they are going to be for awhile this year, and I would guess more highly motivated than some of the other superpowers to maximize 2018.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

What?

Exactly.  While the OP is silly, I'm just saying ignoring the Nationals as a buyer is like ignoring the international market.  We'll be looking for the small blessings the next year or two, and if John and Lou preside over a Nationals denouement, that's a good thing.

Kevin Gausman for Carter Kieboom is a more practical, interesting starting point between the two clubs, if it isn't verboten.

11 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Exactly.  While the OP is silly, I'm just saying ignoring the Nationals as a buyer is like ignoring the international market.  We'll be looking for the small blessings the next year or two, and if John and Lou preside over a Nationals denouement, that's a good thing.

Kevin Gausman for Carter Kieboom is a more practical, interesting starting point between the two clubs, if it isn't verboten.

I think signing Gausman to a 5 yr / 80-90 million extension would be better for our organization than trading him for a pretty good A ball prospect

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s crazy to have trade partners who are off limits.   Go where the best available deal is, period.  

Agreed. Dysfunction plagued this org in all aspects of the game. 

52 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I think signing Gausman to a 5 yr / 80-90 million extension would be better for our organization than trading him for a pretty good A ball prospect

I agree. Prospects are exactly that, prospects. The O's would be stoked to get someone as good as Gausman in a trade return. Kind of silly to trade him when he still has team control.

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Nats arguably have the 2 best OF prospects in baseball.  I think they'll be okay.  

Undoubtedly they will.  But Harper and Murphy may not be back (ala Miller and Allen in the Indians bullpen), and Scherzer and Strasburg aren't going to improve from here (ala Kluber and Carrasco in the Indians rotation).  That's why I think those two teams have a little extra pressure this year.

They are likely 2019-2020 playoff teams too, but won't be the favorites they can be this last time.  Even if 2020 Robles/Soto is as good as 2018 Harper/Murphy, those aces will be two years older, and the Indians don't even have the Robles/Soto next generation.

The Nationals have seen Gio and Roark lose many a playoff game - in addition to Gausman's aid in keeping them away from a wildcard game where I can't even imagine the pressure for that group, he might be their Game 3 guy.

Archived