Pondering the Outcome

Roll Tide

Feeling good about the resilience of the players the last few days. It's obvious that the players really do care despite having dug a huge hole. While I'd never root for the team to lose, I worry about the change in thought process that ownership might have. Say the team wins 7 out of 10. Does the Angelos boys start to think the team might have a shot at clawing their way back into things? We all know we need to get something for Manny and a few others before they leave in a lost season for a few draft picks. It sucks that you'd have to make that calculation due to years of previous buffoonery. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This occurred to me as well. Well, the math is essentially the same as it was at the start of the week. No matter what the improvements occur with Schoop and Trumbo rejoining the team and Santander's getting sent down and someone coming up to replace Tillman, the damage has already been done with that massive hole they dug. They would have to win 4 games a week (and never once falling below that) every week the rest of the way to get to 90 wins and even that may not be enough for the second Wild Card. They are not that consistent even in good years. So, as I was hearing on a podcast today, while it may not make a massive difference in dealing Manny on Memorial Day or July 31 for whom he'll bring in return, the longer we wait, there's always the chance he'll get hurt and that big trade chip will be out of the picture. And the front office will wait. There hardly ever seems to be any urgency on their part to do these kinds of things.

I think they're toast for the season, if not mathematically then with an astronomically high degree of certainty.

However, the question of whether the existing core of players can rebound and put together a good season next year is far less clear, and a fire sale would eliminate that chance, whereas keeping them together to the extent possible would give them the possibility to pull a magic season out of the hat. A team of AA-AAA types is less likely to do that than guys like Gausman, Bundy, Schoop.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So what you are saying is:

Uh-Oh.   They might be good.  

Get healthy.   Schedule gets a little easier.  Cobb settles in.   Tillman and Wright get replaced.

They don't sell, they buy.

And they fall short.

This team isn't a contender.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They don't sell, they buy.

And they fall short.

This team isn't a contender.

Its a big hole they are in.   But it not hard to see what went wrong for 6 weeks and what is going right now.   They have the players to play much better than they were.

Dan said they will make a decision around June 1st or so.  If they were not in East things may be different if they were in the Central.  They have 4 game series against Yanks to end month.  If they go 15-8 in next 23 that may push the decision but I still doubt it as that would put them at 26-35 still pretty far back.

We still need to win 16 in a row to get to .500. Manny, Britton, and Jones contracts are still expiring. A little win streak changes nothing. There is no conceivable way we are in this thing by the end of June.

I think the best news is that Manny's trade value is peaking. Even Trumbo is hitting enough that he might find a buyer. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, they are toast.

Sure a lot more fun in the game threads.

Winning >>>> Losing.    I’m in a much better mood than I was on Tuesday.   Nice to be scoring some runs, too.    

There has been one team, and one team only, that had only 8 wins through April and made it to the playoffs (in wild card era) and they didn't play in the AL East. This team is not good enough to make a sustained run. The worse possibility for this franchise is if they do start playing better and the higher ups think September '17 and April '18 were just tough times and not a true reflection of this team's competitiveness. 

Archived