Tell me how this happens and don't tell me good organization

weams

Or health, or grip. Or coaching or grit. 

It's the end of a career. 6 MPH on the fastball and hugely improved spin rate.

https://www.mlb.com/news/charlie-morton-sets-strikeout-career-high/c-276477990?partnerId=ed-12604798-1071868193

Morton (5-0) is the only Houston starter without a loss this season and he was superb, allowing no walks and only four hits while dominating the Rangers. The right-hander exceeded double-digit strikeouts for the third time this season, his second time doing so against Texas.

Career Best 14 K

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His velocity increased before his spin rate got better.  He was known in Pitt for focusing on pinpoint control.  They changed him at Houston.  There are tons of guys putting stuff on the balls for grip.  The improvement has to be more than that

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is Albies suddenly a power hitter?

Not comparable. Thousands of players in their teens and early twenties have grown into their power as they have matured. From Jose Altuve to Roy Campanella to Andrew McCutcheon and so on...

Rare is the elder pitcher who, in his mid to late-30s, regains long-lost ability to dominate hitters, e.g. Mike Mussina and Roger Clemens. Rarer still is the elder pitcher who first attains the ability to dominate batters in the twilight of his career like Morton has.

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Not comparable. Thousands of players in their teens and early twenties have grown into their power as they have matured. From Jose Altuve to Roy Campanella to Andrew McCutcheon and so on...

Rare is the elder pitcher who, in his mid to late-30s, regains long-lost ability to dominate hitters, e.g. Mike Mussina and Roger Clemens. Rarer still is the elder pitcher who first attains the ability to dominate batters in the twilight of his career like Morton has.

Yea, Altuve....

Good comp...

Maybe Didi as well...

He sped up his entire delivery, threw with more effort, aired it out. The mechanics aren’t significantly different, he just does everything harder.

This would lead to poor control, injury, or inability to hold stuff in most pitchers I’d guess. However, it might be worth it if you have a fringe starter with low effort delivery. For most though, you’d be asking for trouble.

It truly is remarkable.  I'd be really curious to see how he's changed his conditioning and between start routine (stretching, strenghtening, throwing, etc...)  I have also never seen anything like it.  I remember when he pitched against us early this year in Houston and he was sitting at 98 and I was convinced the radar was broken.  Whatever he is doing should be emulated. 

Also, Verlander  had a resurgence of sorts after he was traded there and is firmly in the AL Cy Young race at the moment. 

1 hour ago, joelala said:

It truly is remarkable.  I'd be really curious to see how he's changed his conditioning and between start routine (stretching, strenghtening, throwing, etc...)  I have also never seen anything like it.  I remember when he pitched against us early this year in Houston and he was sitting at 98 and I was convinced the radar was broken.  Whatever he is doing should be emulated. 

Also, Verlander  had a resurgence of sorts after he was traded there and is firmly in the AL Cy Young race at the moment. 

Verlander has always been stout. He had a down year once. He's had a Hall of Fame career.  We are talking Charlie Morton here!  This isn't even Roger Clemens after Boston. This is Charlie! It's not a trick pitch. Or a knuckler. It's Charlie!

6 hours ago, weams said:

Or health, or grip. Or coaching or grit. 

It's the end of a career. 6 MPH on the fastball and hugely improved spin rate.

https://www.mlb.com/news/charlie-morton-sets-strikeout-career-high/c-276477990?partnerId=ed-12604798-1071868193

Career Best 14 K

The only other thing I knew about Morton before his Houston renaissance is that he used to mimic Roy Halladay down to every nuance of his delivery. They'd show them side-by-side and it was uncanny. Maybe moving away from that and being himself was the key to where he is now.

Archived