Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

40 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

How much of this is guys getting worse because of Buck compared to guys getting older and therefore worse while Buck is the manager? I'll bet it's mostly the latter.

Maybe Buck has gotten worse because he has gotten older.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Normally when something like this gets bumped its cause someone is tearing it up that was once ours.

Davies isn't that bad.  He'll get back on track.

Probably.  But A Cy Young candidate?  Probably not.  That said, I won't argue that trading him for Parra was a bad deal in a year that it was pretty clear we weren't going to the playoffs.

As far as Hader goes, Bud Norris was a key reason we won the AL East in 2014 and he pitched the series clinching game against Detroit in the ALDS.  Yeah, Hader blossomed into a very good reliever, but the bellyaching about it is over the top.  That and the ERod for Miller deal were deals that needed to be made at the time.  Would we be better off now with Hader and ERod?  Almost certainly.  But without those deals we probably don't get to within 8 wins of a WS championship.

3 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

At least they totally suck now with no MiLB system to speak of

Yeah but they got that WS win.  I'd take that trade.  It's really unbelievable how hot they got.  Cain was catching everything hit in his zip code and getting big hits constantly, Gordon, Moustakas, and Hosmer were clutch at the plate, etc.  Just a perfect storm.  Smh.....

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

Yeah but they got that WS win.  I'd take that trade.  It's really unbelievable how hot they got.  Cain was catching everything hit in his zip code and getting big hits constantly, Gordon, Moustakas, and Hosmer were clutch at the plate, etc.  Just a perfect storm.  Smh.....

But now they're terrible and saddled with an injury riddled Alex Gordon

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but firing Buck would be one of those "well, we can't fire the players or the owner or go back in time and fix everything that needs to be fixed, so we'll just fire the manager.  Not that it'll change anything but maybe it'll be cathartic for a few fans" decisions.

Buck is a very good manager who's wrung a lot of wins out of flawed rosters.  I'd hate to see him tossed aside in a way that pins systemic franchise failures on a guy who embraced the team when almost no one else did.

I agree I am frustrated with Buck's loyalty to has been players (ALA Tillman) but really is there a better bench coach? I don't see where firing Buck would fix any of the present O's woes.

The only thing I would like to see if we're out of it at or close to the break, or before ( UUgg)  fire sale boys because this groups had their run.

Then at the end of the season the O's can decide where the FO and manager are going.

12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The MASN box score guy is in a slump also. Too cold.  

Pure gold.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but firing Buck would be one of those "well, we can't fire the players or the owner or go back in time and fix everything that needs to be fixed, so we'll just fire the manager.  Not that it'll change anything but maybe it'll be cathartic for a few fans" decisions.

Buck is a very good manager who's wrung a lot of wins out of flawed rosters.  I'd hate to see him tossed aside in a way that pins systemic franchise failures on a guy who embraced the team when almost no one else did.

Everyone should read this....then read it again.  It's spot on.

32 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

I agree I am frustrated with Buck's loyalty to has been players (ALA Tillman) but really is there a better bench coach? I don't see where firing Buck would fix any of the present O's woes.

The only thing I would like to see if we're out of it at or close to the break, or before ( UUgg)  fire sale boys because this groups had their run.

Then at the end of the season the O's can decide where the FO and manager are going.

That is EXACTLY where we were in OCTOBER OF 2017!!!

47 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

But now they're terrible and saddled with an injury riddled Alex Gordon

Still a good trade.  They got to 2 WS and won one of them.  I'd take that any day of the week in exchange for a rebuild.  Their mistake was not doing the fire sale last July, but I'd still take it if I was a KC fan.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Maybe Buck has gotten worse because he has gotten older.

What is the new manager going to do differently that will make this organization win more games?  Is the new manager going to convince the front office to eat the rest of the Trumbo and Davis deals?  Even if they did that... who replaces them in mid-April, and how many more wins will that bring over the course of the season?  One?  Three?  Is the new manager going to get Chris Tillman or his likely replacements to be good pitchers?  Is the new manager going to make Tim Beckham into a good third baseman? 

Firing the manager in-season really only works if he's lost the clubhouse (I don't think Buck has), or if the old manager is using obviously, massively counter-productive in-game tactics (which Buck isn't).  Those are the only thing a new manager can fix.  If the problem is in roster/franchise construction firing the manager is an admission that the problems aren't going to be fixed but we want to look like we're doing something.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What is the new manager going to do differently that will make this organization win more games?  Is the new manager going to convince the front office to eat the rest of the Trumbo and Davis deals?  Even if they did that... who replaces them in mid-April, and how many more wins will that bring over the course of the season?  One?  Three?  Is the new manager going to get Chris Tillman or his likely replacements to be good pitchers?  Is the new manager going to make Tim Beckham into a good third baseman? 

Firing the manager in-season really only works if he's lost the clubhouse (I don't think Buck has), or if the old manager is using obviously, massively counter-productive in-game tactics (which Buck isn't).  Those are the only thing a new manager can fix.  If the problem is in roster/franchise construction firing the manager is an admission that the problems aren't going to be fixed but we want to look like we're doing something.

If i were the new manager I would not start Tillman.  I would give Bleier the start.  I would bring Hays up make him starting right fielder.  I would sit Davis against left-handers and put him at 9th against right handers.  I would have Flaherty on the team right now instead of Valencia who provides nothing.  Remember Buck is the one who decided on the guys who would be on the team and he decided on a having a ton of DH types over a utility infielder.  

You have Satander and Gentry as your bench hitters going into the season?  

Remember Buck said he couldn't give guys days off last year because he didn't have anyone to play in their place and this years team was so much better. Blah blah blah. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Trotting out SPs that the team knows they have no chance to win with, has made this team look demoralized since last year. 

Thats on ownership and the FO, not giving us a rotation to compete. 

Watching the games this year, is poor rotation performance the main reason they look demoralized?

I think it's that only 2/9 lineup are giving quality ABs and a team that is used to hitting for power is currently 22nd in the league in HRs. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Watching the games this year, is poor rotation performance the main reason they look demoralized?

I think it's that only 2/9 lineup are giving quality ABs and a team that is used to hitting for power is currently 22nd in the league in HRs. 

Also once Harvey comes up we could have a very good rotation.  Gentry , Satander, Joseph, and Davis will still not be hitting.  

7 hours ago, esmd said:

Still a good trade.  They got to 2 WS and won one of them.  I'd take that any day of the week in exchange for a rebuild.  Their mistake was not doing the fire sale last July, but I'd still take it if I was a KC fan.

You and me both. I've never seen the O's get there. Just getting there would make me happy

Archived