Which team was better, 79 or 83

Canson80

15 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

With that being said. The 83 team finished the deal. That shouldn’t be overlooked.

Yeah but against who? An old Phillies team with a thin rotation. The '79ers were bested by the black magic of Stargell & Family.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Roll Tide said:

In my opinion the '79 team was better, but the '83 team got it done.

o

Somewhat similar to the possibility that the 1968 Colts may have been a better team than were the 1970 Colts, but the 1970 Colts won it all.

o

Great question. I would say '79 for certain until Lee May started to fade in the second half. Even then, I would give the edge to the '79 team: better run differential, Bumbry was better, the starting pitching was better and they won the AL East against a very strong division (Yankees and Red Sox were stronger in '79 than '83 plus the Brewers were on the rise).

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s pretty succinct, but I’ll say the ‘79 team was probably equally good because all the other key players were 4 years younger.   Look how quickly the team deteriorated after ‘83.

The '79 team had a 3-1 lead in the World Series and lost three in a row. I was there for all four games at Memorial Stadium. So sad. The '83 team brought the city joy. Can't beat it. They took advantage of the last year of their window.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Doug Decines was better than whomever played third on 83 team.  I think Glenn Gulliver was third baseman second half of 82.  

Todd Cruz played 3B in '83. DeCinces was better than Cruz, but he still wasn't better than Cal in his first MVP year.

Gulliver and Dauer platooned at 3B in '82, with Dauer playing 2B against RHP.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Somewhat similar to the possibility that the 1968 Colts may have been a better team than were the 1970 Colts, but the 1970 Colts won it all.

o

Oh, the 68 Colts were easily better

36 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The '79 team had a 3-1 lead in the World Series and lost three in a row. I was there for all four games at Memorial Stadium. So sad. The '83 team brought the city joy. Can't beat it. They took advantage of the last year of their window.

Where did you sit. My dad had media passes and sat in the lower reserved just underneath the roof behind home plate for the first 2 games, around sections 37-39.

3 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I once cornered the market on Kiko Garcia baseball cards.  No one else seemed as interested in them as me, oddly.

s-l500.jpg

I had that card, even though it was before my time.  Whenever I hear Kiko Garcia's name, I think of that picture.

Way to make a slap hitting shortstop look like a tough, grizzled ballplayer, Topps. 

Gimme '83 just cause of Mike Boddicker. Went 12-4 2.23 in the 2nd half, then 2-0 0.00 with a 20/3 k/bb in 18 innings in the postseason. In the second half of that season he was dialed in, pitching at an extraordinary level. Would win 20 and the ERA title the next season - he was cooking.

1979 was better team in my view.  Mike Flanagan Cy Young season and Kenny Singleton had his best season as an Oriole...Eddie had a better season in 1983 but still strong...Decinces was much better than Todd Cruz...it was a magic season with Wild Bill first running wild and LoLo and Roenicke combo in left...1979 was a little better team, but could have won one more game and it would have been fantastic. 

Archived