Are the O's Tanking?

wildcard

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tell you what, we are certainly passed the point where Cobb is not in shape. Now he's just sucking. 

In fairness, he’d been pretty good in the four starts before this one (3.38 ERA in 24 IP).    Very disappointing to see him regress yesterday.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, wildcard said:

To me tanking simply means losing to get a better draft position.   

And if that's what the O's want to do, they should trade off Schoop, Givens, Gausman, etc....anyone who can help a team win now but who will be a free agent in the next 2-3 years, in which the O's are not likely to contend.  Trade them, get lots of prospects and start from square one.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

In fairness, he’d been pretty good in the four starts before this one (3.38 ERA in 24 IP).    Very disappointing to see him regress yesterday.

and against the White Sox of all teams...ugh.  

• 2 months later...

o

(vs. RED SOX, 7/24)

Andrew Cashner, who wasn't even pitching tonight, spontaneously threw his arms up in the air in a victorious expression and triumphantly swung his fist forward after Jonathan Schoop's 2-run home run tonight gave the Orioles a one-run lead early in tonight's game.

https://www.mlb.com/video/schoops-2-run-homer/c-2303816083

When I see a seemingly inconsequential gesture like this from a player on a team with a record of 29-72, and whom are playing in a stadium that is 3/4 empty, it tells me that these guys care about winning and don't like to lose ........ regardless of the fact that almost nobody else has cared about their W-L record since early May.

o

On 7/24/2018 at 11:36 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 7/24)

Andrew Cashner, who wasn't even pitching tonight, spontaneously threw his arms up in the air in a victorious expression and triumphantly swung his fist forward after Jonathan Schoop's 2-run home run tonight gave the Orioles a one-run lead early in tonight's game.

https://www.mlb.com/video/schoops-2-run-homer/c-2303816083

When I see a seemingly inconsequential gesture like this from a player on a team with a record of 29-72, and whom are playing in a stadium that is 3/4 empty, it tells me that these guys care about winning and don't like to lose ........ regardless of the fact that almost nobody else has cared about their W-L record since early May.

o

o

(AUGUST 1st)

After beating the Yankees this afternoon, the Orioles are now 6-6 in 12 games against their vastly superior division rivals so far this season.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/8/1/17639846/yankees-game-score-recap-orioles-sonny-gray-alex-cobb

I believe that they were trying prior to all of the recent trades, and I believe that they are still trying. 

They may not be a good team, but they dislike losing as much as any other MLB squad (and they act like it when they play.)

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

(AUGUST 1st)

After beating the Yankees this afternoon, the Orioles are now 6-6 in 12 games against their vastly superior division rivals.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/8/1/17639846/yankees-game-score-recap-orioles-sonny-gray-alex-cobb

I believe that they were trying prior to all of the recent trades, and I believe that they are still trying. 

They may not be a good team, but they dislike losing as much as any other MLB squad (and they act like it when they play.)

o

I mean, of course the players are trying. The FO is clearly tanking though.

24 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

I mean, of course the players are trying. The FO is clearly tanking, though.

o

Some have asserted that the players have "given up on Showalter" (and/or "packed it in") since he decided not to insert Zach Britton into the 2016 Wildcard playoff game.

I haven't see evidence of that while watching the mannerisms and the actions of the players during the games for the past 2 years. I've seen a lot of bad baseball from the players. I have not seen a lack of interest/caring.

o

Archived