Sports Yips

austintx83

Very long time lurker first time poster here. I know there are a ton post saying Chris Davis sucks, he needs to be released, send to the minors, he lied about working out in the off season, ect, ect... But could he have the "Yips"? Buck is always throwing out Davis has the heavy weight of his contract hanging over his head; but  could the weight of the contract given him the yips. For the most part I've read about many former professional athletes who end up getting the yips which basically ended their career. 

6 minutes ago, austintx83 said:

Very long time lurker first time poster here. I know there are a ton post saying Chris Davis sucks, he needs to be released, send to the minors, he lied about working out in the off season, ect, ect... But could he have the "Yips"? Buck is always throwing out Davis has the heavy weight of his contract hanging over his head; but  could the weight of the contract given him the yips. For the most part I've read about many former professional athletes who end up getting the yips which basically ended their career. 

I don't understand the crowd that thinks his contract is a factor.  He signed the deal before the 2016 season and then he put up a respectable 3.3 rWAR, 38 HR 792 OPS season.

If the contract is an issue now why wasn't it then?

Pretty sure his issues started when he got popped for adderall. I think he needed that to focus and whatever replacement he's on isn't as effective. Also has had a string of injuries like his elbow thing which prevent/limit him from lifting so he's not strong as he needs to be.

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

Pretty sure his issues started when he got popped for adderall. I think he needed that to focus and whatever replacement he's on isn't as effective. Also has had a string of injuries like his elbow thing which prevent/limit him from lifting so he's not strong as he needs to be.

He got popped for Adderall in 2014.  He lead the league in home runs in 2015.

Whether it's in his head or physical, all of the above is true. He is killing the team, has done so for a long time, and needs to be sent down, DLed, or released. If he stays on the team, he should be treated as a Rule 5 guy with minimal playing time until he proves he can help the team.

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Whether it's in his head or physical, all of the above is true. He is killing the team, has done so for a long time, and needs to be sent down, DLed, or released. If he stays on the team, he should be treated as a Rule 5 guy with minimal playing time until he proves he can help the team.

At this point he’s here to stay. He’s owed $100 million. I’d offer Thome, or Bonds, the highest paid hitting coach in the league money to work with him. We threw $6 million away on Rasmus and Tillman. Bring Bonds or Thome in, and maybe we could get something out of $100 million Davis. 

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Which won’t happen with Buck managing this team.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At this point he’s here to stay. He’s owed $100 million. I’d offer Thome, or Bonds, the highest paid hitting coach in the league money to work with him. We threw $6 million away on Rasmus and Tillman. Bring Bonds or Thome in, and maybe we could get something out of $100 million Davis. 

Thome is employed by the white Sox.

54 minutes ago, Finisher said:

I like some of this post.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand the crowd that thinks his contract is a factor.  He signed the deal before the 2016 season and then he put up a respectable 3.3 rWAR, 38 HR 792 OPS season.

If the contract is an issue now why wasn't it then?

I think the contract talks are just like the medication ones. They suggest that there's a cause that can somehow be addressed, instead of realizing that Davis might not be very good anymore and there is no solution.

If you employ the best hitting coach available and the "Dense" factor that is Chris Davis does not want to listen, what good would it do????

Scott Coolbaugh has stated on several recent interviews that his door is always open to any and all. If Chris Davis would welcome suggestions and change his style/approach it may make a difference but if he (Davis) is unable or unwilling to listen it would not matter who the hitting instructor is.

o

Off of the top of my head, I immediately think of ........

Steve Blass ))) (The Pirates)

Mackey Sasser ))) (The Mets)

Steve Sax ))) (The Dodgers)

Chuck Knoblauch ))) (The Yankees)

Rick Ankiel ))) (The Cardinals)

Fortunately for Ankiel, Sasser, and Sax, they were able to overcome their problem (Ankiel was able to do so by being a rare player that was able to transform himself from a previously solid pitcher to a solid position-player.)

o

Archived