2018 6th Rd (175) Yeankarlos Lleras - RHP -Leadership Christian Academy (HS) PR

6' 0 165lbs DOB: 07/22/00

Luke's Take: Smallish frame, 6' 165lb. Very athletic delivery, live arm. Some effort in the delivery, but the arm is free and easy. The arm path is a bit loopy but he does a good job staying closed and everything is on time. FB up to 96, makings of an above average slider. With the very low 3/4 arm slot and lack of a present changeup, he's probably a reliever long term, but at 17 years old, he'll get a chance to shed that label. Love this pick, adding a dynamic arm this late in the draft, you don't have to project much to see a Mychal Givens type reliever.

Yeankarlos Lleras is a 2018 RHP with a 6-0 165 lb. frame from Carolina, PR. Slender young build, square shoulders, loose actions. Drop and drive delivery mechanics with an extended 3/4's arm slot, has some energy to his delivery. Has a very live and whippy arm, fastball topped out at 94 mph, ball gets on the hitters quickly, works his fastball down well, threw almost all fastballs. Was topping out at 88 mph at this time last year. Slider flashed some spin and depth when he was on top of it, will have to throw more to develop. Verbal commitment to Florida International.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=440309

Yeankarlos Lleras

5056-11-Navy-37.jpg

HS Grad 2018
Age 17 and 10 mos
Age on 2018 Draft and mos
Position(s) RHP  
Ht/Wt 6-0, 165 lb
B/T R/R
School   
Hometown  Carolina, PR USA
Summer Team   
Fall Team   
MLB Draft 
Round 6 by Orioles in 2018
All Americans/All Regions
2018 Rawlings-Perfect Game Honorable Mention All-American (Canada/Puerto Rico - All Region 1st Team)
PG Underclass All Americans/All Regions
2017 Underclass 2nd Team

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Gotta build that pitching depth somehow

I feel like we’ve bent over backwards to do that at times.    In 2016, 16 of our top 19 picks were pitchers.   Last year, 4 of our top 5.  

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like we’ve bent over backwards to do that at times.    In 2016, 16 of our top 19 picks were pitchers.   Last year, 4 of our top 5.  

Seems like the Orioles have definitive gone all in on the develop the arms and buy the bats philosophy. Personally I would have liked to have more positional prospects in the early rounds this year after taking some many pitchers the last two drafts. The organization is very thin on legitimate infield prospects.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Seems like the Orioles have definitive gone all in on the develop the arms and buy the bats philosophy. Personally I would have liked to have more positional prospects in the early rounds this year after taking some many pitchers the last two drafts. The organization is very thin on legitimate infield prospects.

And outfield

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The problem with buying the bats is that by the time you can buy them they are at their expiration date.

Archived