2018 Trade Deadline

Yardball85

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is why reading this board is so frustrating at times. I know we're all homers to an extent, but are we really taking it to the extreme of inflating someone like Valencia's trade value? One team's trash is another team's trash...unless you're the Orioles. Then one teams trash is your starting 3B for the bulk of the season. 

Valencia isn’t trash, though.    He’s about a 1 WAR/yr player, who can fill a useful role on the right team.   That’s not going to bring back a ton of talent, but to me the term “trash” is way too pejorative for Valencia.    

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

When Beckham comes back he should be played at 3B everyday so we can see what we have to work with next year. Then they should call up one of the young OFs and make Trumbo or Mancini the DH (put the other at 1B). That should be their roster for the rest of the season. There's no place for Valencia. 

Possibly, but right now we have no idea how the trade deadline is going to shake out and what other roster effects that will have. Maybe Trumbo will be traded (doubtful, but possible). Maybe Manny will be traded sooner rather than later and Beckham will move back to SS.

For now, it's worth hanging onto Valencia as depth and perhaps as a trade piece down the road. I agree the O's wouldn't get much for him in a trade, but I wouldn't just release him.

18 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

When Beckham comes back he should be played at 3B everyday so we can see what we have to work with next year. Then they should call up one of the young OFs and make Trumbo or Mancini the DH (put the other at 1B). That should be their roster for the rest of the season. There's no place for Valencia. 

Or, SS after Machado is traded.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Valencia isn’t trash, though.    He’s about a 1 WAR/yr player, who can fill a useful role on the right team.   That’s not going to bring back a ton of talent, but to me the term “trash” is way too pejorative for Valencia.    

You trade Valencia at the trade deadline and hope you get lucky on a marginal prospect.  This isn't Pedro Alvarez, Valencia has trade value.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. Trash was a bit harsh. The point I was initially trying to make, before I got sidetracked, was that I don't think the demand for him will be what some are expecting. Someone else mentioned a "marginal" prospect. That sounds about right. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. Trash was a bit harsh. The point I was initially trying to make, before I got sidetracked, was that I don't think the demand for him will be what some are expecting. Someone else mentioned a "marginal" prospect. That sounds about right. 

What did we have to trade to reacquire Steve Pearce a few years ago?  I feel Valencia and Pearce are pretty comparable.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Johan Heim.

I was the only person on the board that wasn't happy about the trade.

Is it Johan or Jonah? I couldn't find a Johan, but I did find a Jonah when I looked online. Did anything happen with Mr. Heim of note?

Valencia has value.  He's a good RH bat off the bench as a reserve or PH, or even platoon DH for a good team.  He won't bring a lot back in trade, but he should be worth, say, a young B level prospect in A ball, who might turn into something.  Personally I think they should be looking for relief pitchers, since Britton, Brach, and maybe O'Day aren't long for the team.  A young relief prospect for Valencia isn't unrealistic, IMO.

Oh, and Beckham is your post 7/31 SS.  No need to see him at 3B other than just to give him somewhere to play for the remaining overlap between his return and Manny's departure.

5 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Is it Johan or Jonah? I couldn't find a Johan, but I did find a Jonah when I looked online. Did anything happen with Mr. Heim of note?

Might have misspelled his first name.  He's a glove first catcher that won't have the bat to sniff the majors.

I was opposed because I didn't want Pearce (I turned out right on that note) and that I like having good glove catchers for the MiL pitchers to throw to.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might have misspelled his first name.  He's a glove first catcher that won't have the bat to sniff the majors.

I was opposed because I didn't want Pearce (I turned out right on that note) and that I like having good glove catchers for the MiL pitchers to throw to.

Well he is in the A's system now.  Maybe we could get him back and re-unite the A's with Valencia. 

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

They got Boston's #15 prospect. We could get a similar return for Valencia. Let's do it now.

We could get a similar but BETTER return for Valencia, except the FO seems to just wait until any potential market disappears.

Archived