2018 overall draft grades

This thread is for posting any articles grading the drafts of the various teams.   

Steve Silverman of Bleacher Report gave the O’s a C+, which sounds decent until you realize that he gave 24 other teams a B- or higher.https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2779938-2018-mlb-draft-results-grades-for-overall-team-by-team-results.amp.html.    There’s no analysis in the article as to why.  

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like they are grading on a curve.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

This thread is for posting any articles grading the drafts of the various teams.   

Steve Silverman of Bleacher Report gave the O’s a C+, which sounds decent until you realize that he gave 24 other teams a B- or higher.https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2779938-2018-mlb-draft-results-grades-for-overall-team-by-team-results.amp.html.    There’s no analysis in the article as to why.  

With only two teams, the Cubs and Astros, receiving worse grades (C).

The only way to really grade a draft is on strategy because teams know much more about the players than even the best draft analyst, they have a whole staff prepping for the draft.

That Silverman article is poor IMO and holds no weight.

I do think perhaps the Orioles strategy was a little flawed and they likely reached for Grenier at 37 (Rajsich came close to coming out and saying it). To reach for need at that high of a spot is concerning. As far as going off of publicly available "industry" rankings doesn't mean much.  So my middling grade is due to poor strategy on a top 50 pick, not due to the particular players selected because the team knows much more about those players than I do.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

The only way to really grade a draft is on strategy because teams know much more about the players than even the best draft analyst, they have a whole staff prepping for the draft.

That Silverman article is poor IMO and holds no weight.

I do think perhaps the Orioles strategy was a little flawed and they likely reached for Grenier at 37 (Rajsich came close to coming out and saying it). To reach for need at that high of a spot is concerning. As far as going off of publicly available "industry" rankings doesn't mean much.  So my middling grade is due to poor strategy on a top 50 pick, not due to the particular players selected because the team knows much more about those players than I do.

I'll take the heat for that for suggesting it was a possibility in the first place.   ?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take the heat for that for suggesting it was a possibility in the first place.   ?

Ha, I forgive you.

Grenier could be a great pick, but the swing is garbage and needs to be completely reworked, and that's too much risk for me at that draft slot.

This is obviously speculative but you'd think if they really wanted Grenier they could have offered him overslot at 87 to try and buy him down to the 3rd round, he definitely didn't sound like he expected to get picked so highly. It might have required another senior or two in the top 10 rounds, but I think it's a realistic scenario.

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Ha, I forgive you.

Grenier could be a great pick, but the swing is garbage and needs to be completely reworked, and that's too much risk for me at that draft slot.

This is obviously speculative but you'd think if they really wanted Grenier they could have offered him overslot at 87 to try and buy him down to the 3rd round, he definitely didn't sound like he expected to get picked so highly. It might have required another senior or two in the top 10 rounds, but I think it's a realistic scenario.

But then you risk losing him if a team takes him before 87 (I know you get the kid to agree to float a big number to other interested teams but I don't trust that process).  Giving up the second round pick for Cobb hurt here, as it always does.  He would have been a nice choice in that spot.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But then you risk losing him if a team takes him before 87 (I know you get the kid to agree to float a big number to other interested teams but I don't trust that process).  Giving up the second round pick for Cobb hurt here, as it always does.  He would have been a nice choice in that spot.

Yes and perhaps they liked him too much to risk it. Jeremy Pena would have been a solid defense first fall back, but maybe they weren't particularly high on him.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Yes and perhaps they liked him too much to risk it. Jeremy Pena would have been a solid defense first fall back, but maybe they weren't particularly high on him.

This brings us back to the Stewart pick.  Why pick a polished college player when he needs a complete swing overhaul which will inevitably delay his arrival in the majors? 

It’s pretty clear they reached for Grenier somewhat, and there is a dramatic need. Perhaps they have a lot of faith in Manto and others to rework that swing. He’s a baller, and you cannot teach that. He has better speed than I thought. He’s reportedly nearly ready defensively at perhaps the most important position on the field, so there is great value there.

The second round pick we lost, which the Jays used to pick one of my favorite players in the draft, Griffin Conine, may have been a more palatable place to have taken Grenier. So, the way I choose to look at it, we essentially traded the #37 pick for Cobb. Meh, we’ll see in 2-3 years if they were right.

Archived