Orioles Mount Rushmores

Moose Milligan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I can't decide which announcer goes with Thompson, Miller and Palmer - any ideas for a 4th standout?

Lowenstein was memorable, but not exactly in a chiseled in stone kind of way.

Ernie Harwell was an announcer early in Orioles history.

I like Joe Angel a lot.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we had a thread like this in the past, but I can't find it and IIRC it was more along the lines of the Franchise Four.  Not a great topic of debate as we'd be really pining back and forth between Cal, Brooks, Palmer, Frank, Eddie and Earl.  Can't go wrong with any of them.

But this isn't about the all time Orioles Mount Rushmore.  You can make any Orioles Mount Rushmore you want, good or bad, serious or silly (I prefer silly).  

Examples:

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Worst Relievers:  Mike DeJean, Steve Kline, Mike Wright, Kevin Gregg

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Best First Basemen:  Jim Gentile, Boog, Eddie, Raffy

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Biggest Draft Pick Bust:  Chris Smith, Billy Rowell, Wade Townsend, Mike Paradis

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Best LHP:  Cuellar, McNally, McGregor...Bedard?

On an off day, let's forget about the misery that's the 2018 season and have some fun debates.

I think the Mount Rushmore for the O's best to me would be Brooks, Cal Sr for starting the Oriole Way. Jr for his career. Earl. 

Just now, SteveA said:

Mount Rushmore of bad pennant race acquisitions:   Gerardo Parra, Keith Moreland, Francisco Rodriguez, ???

Todd Cruz was not much of a player but we made him our starting 3Bman and won a World Series.

The Orioles have pennant races? Oh, right. Short memory. I can't see past the red haze of frustration about 2018 (and as a follow-on to a decidedly bad year last year, it's getting pretty thick.)

Mount Rushmore of guys who were good with other teams and had a very miniscule stint as an Oriole:   Ozzie Guillen, Rick Burleson, Tim Raines, Jim Thome

(Could add Vlad Guerrero, Fernando Valenzuela, Sid Fernandez, Dwight Evans, Derrek Lee, probably a few others)

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Mount Rushmore of greatest success after leaving the Orioles organization:   Jose Bautista, Jayson Werth, Steve Finley, Curt Schilling

The book's still out on Jose Bautista and another one that I would add to that list: Jake Arrieta. Certainly his 2015 was worth something. Not sure how quickly he will flame out but he's obviously getting up there in age already. Will he be serviceable into older age like CC or Colon, or will he be done before he even sniffs 40?

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Mount Rushmore of guys who were good with other teams and had a very miniscule stint as an Oriole:   Ozzie Guillen, Rick Burleson, Tim Raines, Jim Thome

(Could add Vlad Guerrero, Fernando Valenzuela, Sid Fernandez, Dwight Evans, Derrek Lee, probably a few others)

Andrew Miller?

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

Andrew Miller?

I guess I should have said were good at the tail end of their career as an Oriole after having a great career elsewhere.   That was more what I was getting at.

I guess Guillen did play elsewhere after his incredibly brief stint in Baltimore.

So substitue Evans, Lee, or Guerrero.   All 3 of them came to Baltimore for a season or less to have the embers of a great career burn out, like Burleson, and Thome.   I didn't realize Raines played in Miami at age 42 after his brief weekend in Baltimore with his kid at the end of 2001.

Archived