Orioles Mount Rushmores

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How can anyone hate B.J. Surhoff??

He is one of my all time favorite Orioles.  A versatile player that the Orioles sorely lack today in their roster full of beer league softball wannabees.  

Like I said, it was completely irrational! I also wasn't paying attention during his first stint, so I only remember his last few seasons.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I can't decide which announcer goes with Thompson, Miller and Palmer - any ideas for a 4th standout?

Lowenstein was memorable, but not exactly in a chiseled in stone kind of way.

Ernie Harwell!

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think we had a thread like this in the past, but I can't find it and IIRC it was more along the lines of the Franchise Four.  Not a great topic of debate as we'd be really pining back and forth between Cal, Brooks, Palmer, Frank, Eddie and Earl.  Can't go wrong with any of them.

But this isn't about the all time Orioles Mount Rushmore.  You can make any Orioles Mount Rushmore you want, good or bad, serious or silly (I prefer silly).  

Examples:

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Worst Relievers:  Mike DeJean, Steve Kline, Mike Wright, Kevin Gregg

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Best First Basemen:  Jim Gentile, Boog, Eddie, Raffy

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Biggest Draft Pick Bust:  Chris Smith, Billy Rowell, Wade Townsend, Mike Paradis

Orioles Mount Rushmore for Best LHP:  Cuellar, McNally, McGregor...Bedard?

On an off day, let's forget about the misery that's the 2018 season and have some fun debates. 

This is how you start a topic.  Very creative, Moose.  It's a brief break from all the different threads repeating the same basic ideas  e.g. how bad Chris Davis' year is.

41 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I can't decide which announcer goes with Thompson, Miller and Palmer - any ideas for a 4th standout?

Lowenstein was memorable, but not exactly in a chiseled in stone kind of way.

Def not the "shrill shill of swill", Mike Reghi.  

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Def not the "shrill shill of swill", Mike Reghi.  

SEE.
YOU.
LATER.  

Bob Carpenter does this bit with the Nats, only slightly less annoying than Reghi and his toupee.

If you have to name 4 announcers, then heck yes, Brother Lo is on it.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How can anyone hate B.J. Surhoff??

He is one of my all time favorite Orioles.  A versatile player that the Orioles sorely lack today in their roster full of beer league softball wannabees.  

I don't know, we always joked that it looked like he was trying not to smell a fart when he played.  My buddy also called him BJ Horseface, which I always got a kick out of.  But I always like him as an O.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• “ the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, of the big lake they gicchi goomie.The lake it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy” yup, him and Johnny Cash
    • Sundown, you better take care If I find you been creeping 'round my back stairs - - - - - - Oh MY!!!  Lol.  The old radio guys know how to control their timber.
    • This is why Elias is where he is and why these guys are on TV.  Lol … good grief, no , no way… the closer situation will be solved internally hopefully or with much cheaper deadline rental. 
    • McKenna really has nothing to offer. I was fine with him being on the roster last year as a fourth OF, but now that they have two other guys that can spell Mullins (Cowser and Mateo), I don't think he's anything beyond organizational depth. And his routes and first steps in the outfield are both terrible, cancelling out his athleticism. He's like the anti-Santander.
    • Feel for you.  This is why so many people have given up going to live games and would rather watch on their 72 inch at home.  Sometimes it is just a giant hassle and expensive at the same time.    At least they won.
    • Taking an off day to take a look at how the schedule looks the rest of the way.   We know a little bit more about the talent of various teams now than we did at the start of the season, but it's a marathon so there is still a lot we can't be sure of. Breaking the schedule the remainder of the way into sections: First, the Orioles are home for 12 of the next 18 games over 22 days starting today, and have three days off in that span.  And 12 of the 18 games are vs teams with losing records, while the others are against teams who are 19-18 and 20-18 at the moment.   So the Orioles have a chance to continue to build wins and continue that .600+ play during this favorable stretch.   Then, of course, there is June.  There has been much talk of June already.  There is only one off day in the 30 day month.   We also play May 31, so that is a stretch of 30 games in 31 days between May 31 and June 30.     And of those 30 games... 24 are against playoff teams from last year!   And the 6 that aren't are against Cleveland and Yankees, who have the 2nd and 3rd best records in the AL this year!   This is why we need to keep banking wins and getting further over .500, because June looks like a real challenge.   But does it get easier when June ends?   Well, certainly the grind does.   In the next two months (I'll call  July 1 to Sept 1, a 63 day span that ends on a Sunday, the next two months)... the Orioles have 10 days off.   Of course 4 are the All Star Break.   But at least there are some breathers for the pitching staff.   But in those 63 days, the Orioles only play 22 home games.   There are two 6-game West Coast trips (counting Colorado as West Coast), a 10 game Cle/Tor/TB swing, and a Tex/Mia swing in the heat of August.   So while June lacks days off, July and August have a lot more travel and a lot less home cooking.   Labor Day then begins a 3 week stretch, with 3 off days, 12 home games, and 6 road games, all against teams that are currently no better than 1 game over .500.   So it is similar to our current stretch.   If we are near the top of the division when Labor Day hits, this will give us an opportunity to take control of the division.   The last week of the season is spent on the road, potentially against two teams we could be competing with for playoff seeds... the Twins and Yankees.   Those games could be huge.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now